Accumulating gold in 2021

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I've seen other threads about this topic, but they're 3 to 4 years old.

Where are some of the best places by tier to accumulate gold?

So far I like the siege scenes - the ebon cultists usually have loot than can be sold.

Deep Ravenswood has the Abandoned Homestead scene where you encounter spammed zombies that seem to respawn - they have a lot of gold and usually have some loot go along with it.

Crag Foothills doesn't seem to have quite as much gold as the other 2 but has the advantage of getting a lot of XP along with the decent amount of gold.

How about non-combat ways to accumulate gold, i.e. farming or fishing or crafting? Worth it?

Suggestions appreciated.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

a cotton seed is 16 gold, plus 4 gold for 4 buckets of water = 20 gold
    and yields, on average, 9 cotton, which npcs buy for 4 each = 36 gold

of course there's setup costs for buying planting beds, you need space to put them, if you want it to go quickly you need greenhouses...

(watering schedules vary by plant. i have greenhouses set up and i will not do cotton in them as i'm guaranteed to miss a watering and reduce my yield. i grow tea, which takes longer but nets 20 gold per seed, like apples and coconuts do.)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Fishing will never, ever, be of any financial gain.
    That being said, selling loot to Pip in Desolis will give you a lot more gold compared to any regular vendor.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Anpu likes this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Oh I think I'm checking this list. As far as I know, Pip is the highest in the game, I've tested with some other specialized vendors already. Note that Pip doesn't show in this list, so possibly it isn't up to date.

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

Not for everyone no, *counts six row lot deeds, six chained obsidian shard packs, four fishing rods of prosperity and numerous crowns of the obsidian and gold crossover prizes. Though I also run crossover prizes myself but I'm probably still ahead. Might be time to sell some lava fish they make great decoration.

Net likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What is actually happening is you aren’t actually checking the items that Pip buys from you and comparing that against Theo.

That list was updated by me and is correct for Theo and Zangoff.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Torrell and Elwyn like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It depends if you're talking about earning gold 'direct from faucet' - IE, kill things, loot their stuff, sell to NPC vendor, or, if you're looking to farm commodities to be sold to players and what other interesting bits you'll get in the process.
    I actually used to spreadsheet out my drops for 1-hour spent in a zone, trying different routes to optimize it.
    Crag Foothills and Twin Foothills both do very well at 'faucet money' the weapons sell decently and if you get the cottonbushes/trees, the beetles and wood can make either of those scenes pretty lucrative. It depends a lot on how fast you kill stuff, and what route you go. Are you stopping to skin, because that's typically not economical if you're going for pure money. If you can handle it, doing the elf rooms circuit in the rise is decent, and you have a better chance at artifacts in there, but from a pure money perspective I found crag foothills better. I run a figure 8 from entrance-elfcamp-through undead corridor to-mineentrance-and back. Only skin obsidians. I get trees and cotton.

Alternatives such as farming, brewing, or mining ore and selling to players are also lucrative, depending on if you can tolerate the tedium.

Dawgs of War, Anpu and Lained like this.
  9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

You can find many good comments here or in other threads about make gold killing mobs, so I'm gonna tell you the best two non-combat options. With mining and farming wood/bettles you can achieve 30-50k gold/h, depends on your luck with rare items (ashen heartwood, beetles, etc).

You have to sell these materials to players to get a decent price for them, this is the only disadvantage compared to sell items to directly to npcs (like mob weapons), its basically an slower way to make gold but totally worth.

Personal advice; you can use "buy orders" on player's vendors to sell these materials more quick, but check the prices first, don't sell anything under a fair price. ex: don't sell beetles under 1000g ea if you know the average market price is 1700-1900g ea.

Feel free to contact me here or in discord if you want check prices.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    DalTXColtsFan likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is it really that? Maybe I should consider selling some of my ~600 carapace.

Arya Stoneheart and Lained like this.
  11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Were selling even for 2k ea for a long time, but yeah, something between 1.6k and 2k is fair.

12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

If I were you, I would sell pretty much of it.

13. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Not true, right now this week I'm running a fishing competition in Dark Bayou, prizes 750k gold, 70 ashen wood and 30 blood leeches. So it can be done as it's all up to the RNG gods, doesn't matter what level you are, what bait you use or even what rod you use, everyone has a good chance to fish up a competition fish!

Yigg Endimion likes this.
  14. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

well...i won around 5k in cotos and lot of other prizes, in 1 month, FISHING. granted, it also hinges on player run events.

Sean Silverfoot and Lained like this.
  15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Only the winner get the goodies afaik.

16. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Not in my competition, and actually have 4 different this week with prizes for first, second and third place!
    Have seen this also in most other fishing competitions, so what are you waiting for? Grab your rod and see if you can win some gold or other items in Dark Bayou! ;)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...you-fishing-tourney-week-extra-prizes.166908/

Anpu likes this.
  17. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

I think once treasure maps come into the game, fishing will be more lucrative. I'm a big fan of "THE RISE". Yeah you have to be lev 120+, but the dragon drops artifacts and goodies to sell and the mages drop gear and supply bundles that yield an artifact sometimes. Mining in Elysium or the Crags is always good money and with the price of wood going up, Twin Foothills with beetle additions are very good. Hallowed Plains has some great wood options if you are under lev 100. If you are mostly looking for crafting xp with some cash potential, mining is your best bet....if you want a good mix of crafting xp, combat with some cash, Resolute Sewers with the unending spiders yields good money. They spawn crazy fast and u get poison making items, cooking items and spider silk...plus the crafting xp is as fast as you can skin those suckers...its great for a character lev 70 and below.

Lained and Anpu like this.
  18. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I really hope we'll see expanded cooking mechanics this year. Of everything in game, whiskey brewing and cotton farming are the only things that require significant start up costs, and yield steady return on your labor - but whiskey brewing in the current system is already a pain and with the lowering of whiskey sell prices, the ROI was pushed so far to the right that there is absolutely no reason to buy whiskey casks or wood to make them now.

I'm hoping we will see some QOL improvements in the cooking mechanics this year, as well as new things that have constant demand that can be produced for profit e.g. fertilizer from spoiled food/failed cooking attempts, rum from sugar cane farming, mead from honey gathering/bee keeping.

We need more things that we can invest gold into that can yield more gold than is put into it, so long as there is effort needed to achieve the final result.

Wilfred likes this.
  19. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I feel I must disagree:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  20. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Yeah Sorgin, maybe I didn't use the best wording....but let's just keep the focus on the thread: farming gold.
    Visit Tartarus, get one Leather Bandit Chest Armor and there's a month worth of fishing right in front of you (okay, maybe a week if you're very good at it).

Nobody should expect fishing to be very profitable, especially being compared to other activities that give way more XP (adv and prod).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.