1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Add On Store Conversion Program

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

unfortunately not everyone is in the same situation as yourself. You are in a great position, just the rest of us would like to catch up ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The duel took 10 minutes? And the people dueling aren't web designers. The duel didn't stop the web designers from working on the site.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I think you missed the point, so i will spell it out to you. It is not the fact that they have dueled or who is dueling or how long it has taken, it just the simple fact that they are more worried about things like that, than actually getting out a feature we was promised 3 months ago.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

One was not prioritized over the other because the two things are not fungible. That is a logical fallacy.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Actually, it was a couple of months ago when they announced that they hope to have some ready by R4 with respect to the addon store and item melting. It will happen, but changes that big take time...especially for a small development team where individuals wear multiple hats. Personally, I would rather not see the conversion program prioritized over maintaining the release schedule.

Mishri likes this.
  6. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

Speaking for myself, I agree that the game's release schedule is more important.

However, I also agree with those who point out that developing a Web store feature isn't really likely to impede the development of a game, unless your game programmers also happen to be your Web programmers (which is entirely possible on a small team).

Either way, all I am asking is that the developers tell us whether or not this feature will be available before the cutoff. It's their decision, and that's fine - it's just the coyness that bothers me. If they want to try and maximize income by delaying it, OK, but please be transparent about it. They've got a lot of good will generated with nostalgic fans like me. Don't blow it by being disingenuous, that's all I'm saying. We're on your side, and we're bleeding our pockets dry to help you make this new game. We're in the huddle with you, so keep us in the loop!

I WILL spend a lot more money on this game if this 'conversion' program is implemented in time. Others will, too.

I have already spent about $600 between my account and one for my wife, and the only regret I have so far is buying a house that will only fit on a "Town" lot, which I am likely to never own. If I could fix this ONE oversight, I would pour yet more money into the game and be a happy camper indeed!

P.S. Nothing in my posts is meant to come across as whining or complaining, or, least of all, demanding or 'entitled.' I am here to support a childhood hero, and nothing will change that.

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

A Long time ago I bought a Viking house addon, then decided that was a mistake & should have upgraded to Edelman with the $50 and from there continue on to knight. I sent support@portalarium a kind request & they did it for me, then I made payments for 4 months and just like that, now I'm at knight tier ;)

TheMadHermit, Kuno Brauer and bdo7 like this.
  8. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

That's a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. Glad to know it worked out for you, brave Sir Knight!

Still, if they're going to give us a way to manage this kind of exchange ourselves, then I would rather not bother CS (as I'm sure they are very busy).

We still have a few weeks to go, so I guess I'll sit tight and see what happens.

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out for you in a similar situation. That's encouraging.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

They have it within their power to extend the founder pricing if the new store (with multiple items in the cart and digital goods conversion) isn't in place yet. I think they are fully aware of all of the feedback in this thread and that some people are either holding off or having to put up with what's in place now. They know the potential loss so they'll either get it done on time or extend the pricing (at least only for digital goods) or even do both.

Time Lord, Phredicon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I'm one of those on limited funds (house, mortgage, family, you know the drill), and that has kept me off of buying stuff in the add-on store. I am focusing first on getting to Knight (but the pledge upgrades have fizzled to nothing, so I'm not sure those will be a big help anymore!), and though I'd love to make Lord, I just don't have the required cash for that available right now! :(

Extending the founder program is not something I see happening (although with the push-back of things like the store add-on melt and in-game battle, it would be nice if they did so), but I can 100% sympathize with those that *do* have purchases they want to convert either in to other items or additional pledging.
    I also agree getting more feedback on things like these would be great!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

I'm definitely waiting for the new store before buying anything new or upgrading my pledge. Zero chance of me going to Lord level without the ability to sell back my village lot size add-ons.

12. Ekosh Dach

Ekosh Dach Avatar

Looking for some updates on the store. Are we still expecting this before the end of March?

13. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I am not buying anything else until I can melt.

I am also not buying anymore tools until I know what the skill caps will be like.

I'm sure a refund/exchange add on isn't the world's most complicated thing to create.

Update Please.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

They hope to have the conversion system complete soon™ (I believe the estimated date was next week).

Time Lord and Skalex like this.
  15. Ardog

Ardog Avatar

I want to move to Citizen, but waiting for melting of add-on lot purchase 1st. Won't cover the whole amount needed to upgrade, but would be helpful.

Ekosh Dach likes this.
  16. Ekosh Dach

Ekosh Dach Avatar

I too am looking to upgrade to Citizen and have about $50 worth of items I want to melt and put towards the upgrade and then pay the difference. I am hoping we get an announcement in Fridays update.

17. BlueEyedGator

BlueEyedGator Avatar

I know support is very busy, but they are also losing out on people increasing their pledge before the 4/7 date. I sent an email to merge my account with the alienware pledge before upgrading (originally was just going for Explorer but talked myself into Knight.) By the time it gets done (been a week), I'm going to talk myself back out of it. :(

18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are sorry it is taking longer than expected to get the add-on conversion program up and running. As I have mentioned several times this task falls on our programmer Tass who is also responsible for our Mac & Linux builds including getting them patching versus manual downloads. This is the challenge of such a small team, we all wear multiple hats (I am EP but I also do QA, community, game design, fundraising, etc.). We are doing everything in our power to get the add-on conversion working before April 7. As soon as we lock down R4 next week Tass can devote full time to this (and multi selection!). Again our apologies for the delay.

19. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I guess a question that's been buzzing around people's minds is, if the add-on conversion program isn't ready by April 7th, is there a possibility the April 7th date can be pushed until it is to allow for us to take proper advantage and complete transactions we've been waiting on?

20. bdo7

bdo7 Avatar

Thanks for the update, Starr.

Before I saw your response, I did send an email to support to see if they could manually merge my add-on home with my pledge level. I hope that's not a pain in anyone's backside. :)

I was going to make a separate thread about the following, but I'll just stick it here as it seems kinda relevant:

I did step on another land mine during the upgrade journey that some people might want to be aware of.

I was at $500, which is "Citizen." You get a nice collector's box, a cloth map, a coin, a bauble of some kind, a certificate to frame, etc etc etc.

Well, I sent my wife a Founder pledge and got a $25 recruit bonus, and I got the $20 Alienware credit as well, bringing my total to $545...

..so my pledge now shows as "Edelmann - all digital."

So as it stands, I have LOST the collector's box, the coin, the cloth map, the bauble, the certificate, etc.

I realize I only have to pay $5 more to change to "Edelmann," but I wanted other people to be aware that by adding recruit bonuses and other credits to their accounts, they could LOSE all the physical items!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.