1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Adventure Level. Clear and useful as it could be?

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Steevodeevo, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

A bit of a tabloid title, I am not unaware of the deliberate purpose to prevent SOTA becoming a 'by the numbers' clone. But here are a few thoughts...

- What purpose / benefit does it actually serve? When you con a mob the colour I believe is based on the adventure level. Sometimes (as intended and what makes SOTA unique) the colour means very little depending on your build. I can have trouble with my build with mobs that regen rapidly as my dps is moderate and I don't have that many DOTS, however some orange mobs I can handle just fine if they lose health in a conventional way. Other mobs beat my resists and are a tough challenge at a yellow con, others not the case..

- Then on to adventure zone level. Sometimes I struggle to equate the mob colour/challenge with the zone level. The recent post on a lack of mid tier challenge zones (6 to 8) got me thinking about this. The mob level seems to vary quite a bit even in a similarly rated zone (legacy?) as does the challenge, such as with bosses, zergs and waves. The zone '+' concept was an afterthought and can mislead, as in some '+' zones are generally tough whereas others are easy and have one isolated boss you can easily avoid.

- Then on to how Adventure Level itself is calculated.. My AL was lowered from 101 to 96 today for quite a while until I was able to unload due to me being overloaded. I believe AL is calculated from other attributes, so my Dex (reduced by being overloaded) must be a major factor. This is probably intended as you can't fight as well overloaded, but it will confuse. It did me when I first noticed this as I thought my AL was bugged.

I have no real suggestions in regards to AL. I just wonder if it is helpful or a hindrance as in it confuses players and doesn't really represent your relationship with the zone challenge or how you will deal with specific mob damage and resist types as this relates strongly to your build, buffs and potions.

I was told that AL was added as an afterthought as Port were pressured to include some 'conventional' indicator of player level for folks who like to monitor this stuff or get comfort from it. It is clearly something they aren't enthusiastic about as a) its hidden away still, and b) there is no spectacular 'ding' when you level, just a modest low key message I always miss.

So, would we be better of without it altogether, but keep the mob con colours? Or should it be enhanced to mean something and be more visible? Or.. is it just fine?

I ask in the interest of clarity, QOL, and as ever, to encourage new players.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Bedawyn likes this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

JMHO

Steevodeevo likes this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Adventure and producer levels are a function of the total experience assigned to their respective skills.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I don't want to derail any folk interested in the OP (always the optimist :) ), and whilst that may well be the case, being overloaded also reduces AL. So, unless its a bug there are also additional environmental and temporary states that impact AL as well.

5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Sounds like a bug as I just tested and my adventure level didn't change. Being overloaded may affect other attributes that are also used to determine relative effectiveness against mob but not adventure level.

[​IMG]

FrostII likes this.
  6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Oh hang on, I'm down to 96 again, and not overloaded. This (as before) was just after death, sounds like a bug.

Anyone else checked their AL after a death? In my case its when you die (obviously) but other factors may be when you are in taming mode, maybe also lose the pet??

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

warlock chain give 5 adv level.. if you unequip that might be why

8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Thanks DC, what an idiot, yes, this was the issue. Original post / OP stands, hopefully.

//and thanks for all the folks helping me to work this out.

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Adventure and producer levels are a function of the total experience earned from combat and questing and crafting. (the daily oracle bonus is a gift, not earned, and does not affect the levels.) it does not matter whether that experience is then left in the pool, assigned to skills, or previously lost to decay.

Jaesun and Lained like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.