Adventure level?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Advenure level isn't exposed because Richard wants it that way. I'm sure you remember when we could press V and see every stat in the game. Then Richard railed and eventually that went away. Well Richard doesn't like the idea that adventure level be exposed, so it's not.

It's really that simple. No matter how much or how little it influences other aspects of the game, we aren't likely to see adventure level on an easy to see stat sheet.

I'm honestly surprised that we still see the few stats in game that we still do.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It does.

Numa, FrostII and By Tor like this.
  3. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Why artificially alienate possibly good customers who just happen to hav ean OCD level need for stats?

4. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

That's exactly how Dwarf Fortress does things, of course there are spreadsheets of number/word correlations, so is it really that useful?

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Chance to hit used to be calculated using both your adv level and weapon skill, along with dex

Now it is calculated using only advlevel OR weapon skill. Whichever of the two is higher is the one that is used.

By Tor likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I thought dex was still used here but I'll take your word for it.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dex too.

In fact adv leveldoes not affect a green monsters chance to hit you anymore. I think now that is mostly dex.

Notsure if weapon skill is used for npc hit chance

8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

If it's true that level has little to do with hit calculations now (and I believe it) , it should ALSO be removed from the determination of the "nameplate colour."

By Tor likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It still acts as a general overview of character strength. I have, however, come across green guys that are harder than yellow

10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree. If Adventure level doesn't effect chances to hit or to be hit.. then why bother with the colors at all? If it only slightly increases health and dexterity, your level is practically useless. I definitely won't bother going to a devotional for any level boost - and will be suggesting that all my friends who have Necklaces of Civility to sell them as soon as possible.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Every other game has that. I personally think those dudes have had their way long enough. It's time to do things differently.

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  12. eli

eli Avatar

Was that a change with the most recent release?

Last I knew, super red mobs avoid all of your hits except for criticals, even on your spell casts.

In terms of defense, it certainly seems like orange mobs hit me with basically every attack while green mobs miss about half the time.

Here's the tech talk where hit vs adv as I understand it is covered (r41-42)

If this change is indeed the case, the -10 str, -10 dex, -10 int, +10 adv level hood is literally a joke novelty item, the devotional is moot, etc. I am dubious that so much recent content would be mamed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

eli likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm not sure adv level helps the strength of pets in any way. The level of the pet summoning skill does since you can see pet HP go up but I've not seen any noticeable increase in pet damage because of my adv level.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It might just help its health. But i do recall mention of adv level buffing pets in some way

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Look on the bright side. For the OCD-inclined, many games give just one leveling stat (adventure level). SOTA improves upon that by offering a leveling stat for every skill you have.

MagiK likes this.
  17. eli

eli Avatar

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im not familiar with spells "miss"ing targets (im not a mage), but dodge, parry, and block are not related to hit chance and are based on the defenders dodge, parry, block stats. Many spells can be dodged and blocked. All the fist/bolt spells can. (Lightning, ice arrow, fireball, etc

Numa likes this.
  19. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Even if I do not know Dwarf Fortress I remember too that some games used such "uncertain" values and I do not like to answer a question with a question…but is it useful to know you have e.g. strength of 41 instead of 40?
    As I said if there would be requirements for skills or gear it would be a needed info but without I think it doesn’t matter. Maybe for some enthusiasts it is nice to know to create their own calculations but I would guess for the vast majority it wouldn’t change anything if these visible values would even disappear. (And no, I do not demand such a change. ;) It just serves to describe my (currently) rating of the importance about knowing these values.)

But back to topic…adventure level. The more I read about it the less important seems to be the knowledge of your adventure level. That red named monster will more likely kill you than green named ones is easy to understand but to "use" this knowledge you do not need to know your adventure level...or is there anyone really calculating each time hit chances or the like by using adventure level (not just looking at color/hp) and is just because of that result starting or not starting a fight? I mean in theory this is maybe for a few nice to know but in practice there is no real need of knowing your adventure level or did I missed something? :confused:

20. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Adv-Level are only good for poser.
    No real need to know, because knowing it changes nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.