Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Afraid that the combat system might get ditched

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Whaaaat? PvP zones was like one of the first things he said when the topic of PvP came up. That, and pvp quests to take contraband across the world, and they will let people know the guy is coming....

Also, they recently talked about the development process and said most of the story stuff will be inserted later, right now they are finishing up the combat, and they will be transitioning to other game components.

They are just finishing up inserting the core combat mechanic as we speak. Do you expect them to multitask and do everything at once. Focusing on one task is more efficient.

Are you just searching for stuff to gripe about now?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Kaisa likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Everyone sees features being "more effiscient" or "superior"... in order to farm 2330 items per day which is the guiness world record. Yea overhead map... yea card combat... yea is there anyway I can go faster cause I don't really like this only the goal matters...

How about creating something fun ? Isaiah, do you realise the number of people who would be arguing with us and giving ideas right now ? They're gone... either silently observing or simply gone.

I have at least 4 people I know used to be VERY regular posters who would face all odds to participate, but they're gone because of shallow arguments and general dislike for the people who this game is supposedly aimed for. They're not gone because of me, in fact I have received e-mails and pms to tell me they enjoyed arguing with me (yea we had very differing opinions) but that arguing with people over the "effiscient" and the "how can we be more like EA or WoW" poisoned their fun from the inside out. Lo and behold, the two "groups" who argue like this are those who desperately want full pvp/loot without tying it into roleplay ; and you strange group Isaiah who wants a fireball machinegun in their hands cause they might just win if they shoot faster.

Two attitudes we often see in LARP... I rather play with cheaters and idiots who have fun than using the hand of god to force another layer of randomness because we still haven't figured out lag yet. This is the hardest to swallow... we have tons of fun in LARP without ANY layer of randomness.

There comes times when we don't argue about a game anymore, its a combat system superceeded with a farmville medieval housing and collecting system (items given value by story and epic victories). There will be a time when I have said all I can say and I will be going to. I'm still satisfied because I pledged simply to have a house in RG's game... because I owe him because of what I did to UO. I have been holding that guilt pledge high, and using it as a torch to light dark places, but its dimming now... there is too much dust... this is burning man.

Bunch of hippies all around, my morale is running low...

Lord Baldrith and Joviex like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I hope your realise how sharp your tongue is, and how you have a natural talent of absolving all previous faults so someone trust you enough that they turn the back. Then you take the stab...

The dev team when we pledged said combat and PVP would be the LAST thing this game would focus on, I sure hoped it would be "the spiritual sucessor to Ultimas" and all the other stuff I pledged for in kickstarter (my checklist is down to only 3 remaining items promised out of 20)

Truth is, they think they will keep more players around because they realised how much of us like PvP. But the truth is most of us haven't pvped in a while and the TRUE pvpers don't care if the win or lose, if they get looted or not. It's all about the thrill...

If my cards line up 3 fireballs for me, I feel lucky thats all... I don't feel skilled because I built my deck with proper calculations that will be soon made by a third party program someone made for that.

You're not adding any argument, just stealthing around trying to turn the knife in the wound while portalarium is shaking salt overhead.

AdamZax, Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  4. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Well I liked the randomness of the decl, gave me a thrill when i was fighting. Sure I got dudded several times, made me rethink what I was going to do. Sure beats anything else i have seen lately. Wildstar, yawn, Wow yawn. Eve gives me jollies.but thats coz im an arse.

The deck system is challenging and its hardly what some people describe it as. Pot luck my arse.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I think we must avoid over argumentation about some thematics, it is a trap that it is easy to get caught.

I could argue again about last comments but i will not (unless i bait) , because for someone that reads the threads it is all already there.

Take a distance until Portalarium give us more material to discuss.

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

haha YES ! this is what I call a FORUM !

Come here bro, don't lawyer me ok.

We've been almost dying here trying to give CONSTRUCTIVE arguments about what would make the glyph system work.

These suggestions are then systematically being ignored and we're seeing a nice little rehearsal of people who are on here trying to convince us its good as is BECAUSE its good as is... or my way of sayin they have no logical argument at all and we're all confused as they usually have logical arguments.

But not this ? that reminds me of something...

I bet you guys can't even recall the suggestions some of us made, about different systems for warriors and mages, and also our UNIQUE suggestions that would really make this idea worthwhile.

We all understand the concept, its just BACKWARDS.

Joviex likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Come and talk... now, cause I'm not here forever.

Hey I might explode in my car today...

Portalarium is not giving us more material cause to say it dramatically "THATS IT".

They want to adapt, they want something new, and they've said COUNTLESS times they want you guys to use the forums MORE and make polls and whatnot.

Thats my role here you see and noone else in this damned world knows how to play it better.

You have to face your fear of losing face because you're arguing forum style, thats what makes forums find UNIQUE ideas suited for their community.

I apologise for all the caps lock yelling and obviously all the farts literally and figuratively. haha.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  8. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I see what you are doing xD. Go and repair your car :p.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah but R8 was the most fun release I've ever played, and that was when they released the deck system. It was fun because I was participating in PvP, and whacking people with the deck system. I had fun walking through dungeons destroying monsters that I had trouble killing in previous releases because the deck system gave me more options than I had before. I was rooting, fireballing, and using lightning on all these creatures, and it was great.

So I don't know what you are talking about the system not being fun. The only time I thought it wasn't fun was when they added a 1 second cool down in R9, but they are removing that 1 second cool down, and also reducing the number of slugs for heavy armor.

Heck I couldn't be more pleased. Not only is the system efficient it is more fun too. The combat pace gives you some time to manipulate your skills on the run too. I have a low threshold for stress, and I was able to run from somebody, turn around running backwards, and use the deck all at the same time. That's a well designed system, and a quite unique concept that formed into something rather revolutionary.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I've noticed a lot of the people who don't like glyph combat assume they are the vast majority and that it simply doesn't work.

I don't like glyph combat, but it seems clear to me that it's pretty popular over-all and that people are making it work, so it's not really broken.

I'd actually like it myself if it didn't draw my attention away from the rest of the screen.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I admit I liked R8... but its seeing how we're getting dragged by the rest that makes it less interesting in the perspective it will be adjusted to "please everyone" thats what I mean when I say its backwards... it dosen't take into account mystery, things that you cannot calculate yourself, but the game builds as you build your character.

Hidden attributes and all... but they require more virtual machine computing, unless you know how to do it...

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

if you get an "opportunity card in the deck" it needs to be only for actions requiring focus IE : NOT the simple swigning a sword

you can swing a sword even blindfolded and without any focus whatso ever

Time Lord likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I can't beleive I have to repeat my suggestions so many times on a forum... never happened to me before. Usually your idea gets digested or destroyed, at least you have a clean feeling about it.

This is extreemly irritating, and to have no dev feedback in these obviously very popular and heated threads ? blah...

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The issue is if it is fun. If the deck system is fun they aren't going to ditch it. Without the cool down it is fun. If it is fun, and it is also superior then the glyph system speaks for itself. Let the naysayers use the static toolbar. I will be using the deck.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  15. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I do like the glyph system but I agree right now it does draw too much of your attention away from the screen. I think this could be partially solved by designing a better ui and or letting us adjust the ui ourselves. For instance if I could I would move the hotbar up a little then put the healthbars down above the hotbar so I didn't have to look all over my screen for the info I need like we have to do currently. I also noticed in the chat room in Wednesdays post r9 chat someone mention having a radial ui or something and I think one of the devs seemed to like the idea.

16. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think it's fair to simply say: "they are not going to ditch it."

I'm fairly confident that it is here to stay at this point. The best thing to do if you don't like it, is lobby to make the static bar good enough to be competitive (if in a different way, with different strengths and weaknesses).

As long as locked decks are a choice AND they're not categorically weaker than decks, I don't see the problem with keeping the glyph system whether you like it or not.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I don't see how the goal is being superior... you're just saying its fun cause your guild name has the same initials than MTG and you like cards :p

I used to play MTG when I was young, I always tought it was a nice concept to add into a game... but not like this so you can easily make all classes equal and side-step the lag problem a little bit.

It's alot of compromise for a little headway. Only the package is different, not the engine...

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Even docdoom dosen't get it... the whole and only reason for the deck system is avoiding some lag issues, especially in big combats with lots of people. The way you have it right now, even if you go full Dallas you will fall into the card system, your action won't be recorded when you did it but when the system is ready to receive it.

The concept is amazing, and has also been done before...

It's simpler to calculate cards that come down in a seemingly real time fashion, one row at a time, than attempting to record who's got better reflexes by using lag compensation strategies. It's VERY hard to program better cloud architecture, but I've seen it and we have no excuse not to explore it.

I need to go to work now, praise the lord and ladies I don't crash riding my horse :p

19. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I do think even once the game launches the glyph system probably will be stronger then the locked option, but hopefully only by a fairly small amount. I hope within the next two releases they get rid of the focus penalties. I could be wrong but I think that the cooldowns and the lack of combos is enough of a penalty on the locked deck.

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think what you don't get is that it doesn't matter why you hate it, because it's going to stay. The team LOVES it. Watch any video where they talk about it. They think it's great. A good number of players think it's great. The thing is staying. It's your time and you can spend it however you please, but I believe it would be better used focusing on improving the system and making locked decks (which thankfully are an option) more viable, because trying to convince them to ditch the system or that it is broken, will (imho) be wasted time.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.