Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

After I died, 7 skills were reduced by 1 point, 1 was a GM skill!!

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Kelly O'Shay, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

9/25/2016 6:02 PM
    Title: Seven skills were lowered by one point when I died.
    Reproduction Rate: I only died once, I do not know how many skills will be reduced the next time.
    Blocker? no
    Details: When I died in deep ravenswood I saw on the icons that 7 skills were lowered by 1 point.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Go hunting.
    2. Die
    3. See that some skill icons on the right side of the screen report that you lost one point in some skills.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 12213
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 GPU RAM: 2017
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.397.Date.09.22.16
    Area: HiddenVale_Forest02_Tier5
    Loc: (-192.1, 32.0, 6.2)

I died in deep ravenswood. I immediately saw 7 icons on the screen showing that 7 skills had been reduced by 1 point! I have not been able to tell if any more skills have also been reduced by 1 point because I did not have a log of what my skill values were before I died.

This seems like too much. I mean, one of these was a GM skill! That will take quite a lot of experience points to go back up from 99 to 100!

Was this intentional? Is there a writeup on this somewhere? What is the logic you used to determine which skills were lowered? How many skills were lowered? Did the skills go back to 0 experience in the icon skill point accumulator?

Seven skills going down by one point is way too much. And, I cant even tell without keeping a log of my current skill points how many other skills were also dropped.

[​IMG]

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

What you encountered was skill decay. Every one of your skills would have been reduced by a certain amount when you perished.

The ones you noticed must have been sitting right on the skill-level line, such that when they decayed they dropped below to the lower level.

Looking at your screenshot, they are all still *very* close to the next level, so a little bit of work should push them back up.

I also see that those skills were set to "Not Train". That means the game is not allowed to put more experience into them under any circumstances.

You should also also consider setting your skills to "Maintain" in the future. Doing so will allow the game to transfer new experience to that skill to offset decay.

----

There was an error in previous releases where certain skills would not decay properly. Appears that has been resolved in QA.

4. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

So, @Kelly O\'Shay experienced what has been explained in the past is the way the system is designed to work. The - does not allow any skills points to go into a skill. The upward brown arrow puts just enough points into skills to keep them where they were at. That said with the - set on a skill it will not fall below the current level "unless" you die which is why he experienced what he did. Seems rather odd that someone would decide to quit playing because the game works as designed and as they told us it would, but oh well it could happen I guess.

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Nice to see Decay work now !

Sean Silverfoot, Elwyn, Womby and 5 others like this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Fantastic! Now we can grind slower due to super-slow regen (exhilarating!), spend more time with less money scrounging around for food via the now-slower overland map (exciting!), and when we die this ever-loving decay sets us back so we have to re-grind (electrifying!). Rinse, lather, repeat. Yay SOTA.

I love this game but the love is now much less like young-head-over-heels love and more like, my-marriage-sucks-and-I'm-here-out-of-loyalty-and-habit love, and I know a good divorce lawyer.

*weeps* do they not like us? When will the beatings stop? :(

I don't have much available time to play. These things are collectively just killing my experience.

Aldo, Arc, amaasing and 30 others like this.
  7. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

That sounds really rough.

Also, good to know not to lock the skills right when they ding but get a bit into them for some padding.

Acred likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

or, y'know, set them to maintain.

Elwyn, 4EverLost, Luca Xante and 12 others like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

lol I said this in another thread too. This is logical though. If we stop playing we a guaranteed not to experience skill decay. lol

10. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

How much xp was in your pool? Isn't it supposed to pull from that pool before taking from skills?

This really bothers me too. They have forced me to go into many different trees to play my mage because there is not 1 tree I can use that has my basic needs. I am dreading to see what the general population does when this happens...

Again, I'd rather have skill caps than decay. I don't want to redo what I've already done with my character, that is not good game design.

amaasing, Cally, Gamician and 7 others like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Has anybody been able to determine at what point skill decay becomes impossible for them to push beyond their current skill levels?

What I mean is, that at some point I'm assuming that we would amasss too much decay that we can never keep a large enough skill pool to continue to increase skills because once decay sets in (after death or skill gain) the decay offsets any gains we could make.

However I wonder if anybody has reached that high of a level of decay yet unless they had a few months off of work and now they can only play a few hours per week (some sort of dramatic cutback on play time).

However if we don't have a skill pool at all then decay is guaranteed right?

EDIT: I'm a little nervous about decay too, but I wouldn't want them to rush to skill caps just because of nervousness on our part. Chris is a math genius. He said it works.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it does that for skills set to maintain. none of these were.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I have lots and lots of skills and they are all on maintain...I wonder how much of my pool will be absorbed when I die...

Chatele, Ice Queen, Acred and 2 others like this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing we need to know how many skill points we have directly attributed to skill gains. If we know how much skill points we have in our skills then we should be able to determine the ammount of decay per day/hour/or whatever... I suppose we would have to keep excellent records, or simply just test it out by going three days without playing and dying to see how big the drain is (which I sort of plan on doing tomorrow or whatever) lol

Although I have no clue when I stopped playing the other day so I probably won't have a full three days, but I'll definitely have more than two days accumulated when I croak tomorrow morning which should give me a rough estimate which is ok for now. :)

Nhili Dragon and Acred like this.
  15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Okay I just tested this on QA. I had nearly every skill on maintain (except I forgot a few dashes and those 3 things went down 1 point)

I had 521,625 points in adventuring. After death I had 470,770 xp left. A net loss of 50,855 xp after 1 death
    I had 884,163 points in crafting. After death I had 855,867 xp left. A net loss of 28,296.

I die alot, so this wasn't a big accumulation of deaths, just normal gameplay.

I have alot more on real since my QA character was saved so it's gonna hurt a lot more once it goes live for me.

I don't like this one bit.

**edit

Okay, just out of curiosity, I went and died a 2nd time to see how much xp I lose.

I had 470,770 adventuring points. After 2nd death I had 470,649. A net loss of 121 xp
    I had 855,867, crafting points. After 2nd death I had 855,800. A net loss of 67 xp

Not nearly as punishing on the 2nd death. I would assume my first death was after a day or so of not dying. Not sure how long it had been on this iteration of my character tho...Still very painful.

Not dying will be vital in this game haha..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Aldo, amaasing, Abydos and 12 others like this.
  16. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

This is, as has been stated already, exactly what is supposed to happen when you have your skills set to drop.

This is not a case of decay out of control, or anything alarming to me at all, but rather a case of a player not understanding that when you set skills to advance, they advance, but when you set them to decrease or to "not train", they decrease. Do this by clicking through the little arrow to the left of the skill. There's a fourth setting, maintain, that probably would have prevented all of that loss if there was xp in the pool.

A few moments of interaction with the skill UI menu and all of this could have been avoided.

Here is a shot of my air tree, showing the 4 settings:
    [​IMG]

My discharge will pull xp from the pool/use to advance itself while my lightning will not pull xp to advance, but will only take xp to prevent decay upon death. My chain lightning will not pull any xp at all for any reason, meaning that it will decay eventually. My summon, however is set to actively reduce with each use and will decay at a much faster rate.

If we as a playerbase can really take anything from this, I think it should be to ALWAYS have skills we don't want to lose set to maintain and to not train skills to the point that we do not have an adequate buffer in our pooled xp to offset decay from inevitable death. Judging from Lord Baldrith's excellent observations, maybe keep at least 50 to 100k in there to offset the worst of it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    aldraren, Retlaw, Acred and 2 others like this.
  17. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

It would however be a good idea to include this in the patch notes. I tested this as well and had almost 20 skills drop by a point on my first death, multiple deaths didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Acred and StevieD like this.
  18. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

As Chris stated earlier in the year, skill decay is capped after two days. I assume that is still the case. So it slowly builds during that time if you don't die or gain any skill. So if you die after two days and had no skill ups during that time, you should see the maximum amount of decay. But if you then die a few times in a row, or skill up, you won't see as much decay since it hadn't built up yet. So everything I read above seems to say it's working as designed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    StevieD, Sirius Sternwarte and Acred like this.
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Some skills barely dropped by .05 because they weren't set to maintain their current level... that's as intended. I'm not sure why anyone would make this seem out of the ordinary or out of control.

I'm high level with many GMs and my skills are always either increasing or switched to maintain so I never see them drop... once it hits 100 it's there to stay.

Good to know decay is working as I personally haven't witnessed any sign of it and was starting to get worried.

20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I really don't like the idea of linking decay to 'death'
    All this does is:
    Discourage exploration
    Discourage pvp
    Discourage attempting anything challenging
    Once again we are pushed toward grinding trivial no-risk content for yet another reason.

I kinda have to agree with the above post that between this and the focus regen nerf it may be time to stop playing =/

Gravidy, By Tor [MGT], Mac R and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.