Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

After I died, 7 skills were reduced by 1 point, 1 was a GM skill!!

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Kelly O'Shay, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horance

Horance Avatar

I had more than 6k xp in my adventurer pool and 15k in my producer pool. After dying, both pools have 0 xp remaining, and I lost one level in 7 adventurer skills and 1 crafting skill. This is very punishing.

Now, the only way to not lose levels is to lock most of the skills and be sure to keep both your xp pools above 100k before adventuring in dangerous areas. So far, I never had the need to lock adventuring skills, because I liked to slowly level up in multiple skills at once, but now I'm forced to do it.
    This is very awful, because I don't think anyone would now take the risk to join a party to explore some new area. This change is going to impact most of the fun we had in this game so far.
    PvP was already a bit money-expensive, but now it's also very xp-expensive. I don't know why anyone would go to a PvP area after this change.
    This change also make the game even more xp-centric, because now you have to look on your xp pool before taking any decision.

That, combined with the lowering of health and focus regeneration, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to stay in the mines and kill kobolds warriors all the day.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i like the idea of decay on death to add some fear of it. just of matter of balancing it out as with regen nerf.

i like both in theory but only time will show if they get the rates balanced.

Womby, Acred and Senash Kasigal like this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Skill decay is now fixed and actually working. Keep exp in your pools. If you die then up to 3 days worth of accumulated decay will be removed from your pool, if your pool is empty then it will remove that value from your skills. This can lower skills (yes even if you have them set to maintain). Also... don't die. Please remain calm while your life-force is extracted.

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Keep in mind this is an extreme case test, and not at the values that will hit live server. My adv pool was waaay full and no combat skills dropped but my prd pool was empty sooo...
    [​IMG]
    thats is with every skill at GM and has taken it to a few mil below hitting GM again for each skill. Do not expect to keep every crafting and adventuring skill at GM without putting in allot of work.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  5. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

I hope that means that those skills without a "Maintain" setting will have them in teh next release. I have my "Heal Creature" skill set to not train because there are only 2 options currently available for that skill. "Train" or "Not Train". I had assumed this was a development decision, but now I am wondering if this is a bug or should be reported as one.

Acred likes this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The skill hasn't reached the minimum level that would make it to be subjected to skill decay (40)

7. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

Thanks for the info. So skills below 40 don't ever decay?

Acred likes this.
  8. Crag

Crag Avatar

Im glad there is a negative to dying... if skill loss bothers you, dont die.

Acred likes this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I believe pvp death will not trigger decay.

StevieD and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  10. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

It just sounds like crafters will have an advantage in maintaining GM or high level skills. They can buy resources and never risk dying and losing XP. While PVP players will probably die often and lose XP, putting them in a high XP loss category. PVE is somewhere in the middle. If dying is the only XP loss scenario then it seems unbalanced between these 3 classes of players.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I believe pvp death will not trigger decay.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Although looking at the screenshot on the OP, all the decay skills still have their progress fill up all the way, so it shouldn't be too bad bringing them back up. If a player dies trying to bring back the levels a few minutes after skill decay hit, it wouldn't be as severe as the first time.

The patch note and game instructions may need to emphasize again that skill decay now functional, so make sure all skills are being set to however they want them to be (unlearn, lock, maintain, or train), so they won't get surprised when a bunch of skills decay upon death.

margaritte and Womby like this.
  13. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

Then I assume PVP doesn't give XP either. I don't PVP, so have no experience in knowing if XP gains or loses in PVP.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That is correct and the only reason it wont trigger decay. Mind you it may well grant exp in the future.

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I die multiple times every time I play. I don't want to play an adventure game that punishes players for being adventurous, and robs us of hard-won skill gain.

Oh wait, here's an idea that will clear up the now year-long confusion about how decay works. Let's just not have decay. Problem solved. You're welcome.

16. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

Not having decay is a bad idea without skill caps. I don't mind the decay, but it needs to be reasonably balanced and well documented on how it works so players can do their best to avoid problems with decay. I die a lot because honestly I am terrible at melee... however it's the most fun part of the game for me. I love exploring new areas. I just hope the skill decay issue will not make exploring impossible because of skill losses on death.

But I firmly believe some skill loss is required with a no-cap skill system. It has to have some balance or a year after launch everyone will have all skills at GM. That would be no fun either.

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Getting XP from PVP would be difficult to implement because it is so easily exploitable. (Unless there was a direct transfer of XP from loser to winner - that might work.)

18. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

That doesn't seem to be it.

I have skills below 40 that have the full set of options including maintain.

If a skill has an as yet untrained dependent skill it will not let you set it to maintained.

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Thanks for mentioning it. The dependent skill seems to be part of the condition as well.

To be more specific: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

Womby likes this.
  20. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Gotta set skills to maintain or they'll decay on death. Did they increase the decay though in R34? If so, I'm glad death will finally have at least some level of penalty to it. Adventuring without any risk is no fun at all imo.

Crag and Oba Evesor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.