Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

After I died, 7 skills were reduced by 1 point, 1 was a GM skill!!

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Kelly O'Shay, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, agree.
    One sensible thing would be to create a soft 'cap' at GM - it would also give some benefit to GMing as currently there isn't really other than apprenticing. Add decay to super high stuff, but you can't fall below the GM / or "lose" your GM. I don't think casual players would object to this and it would keep the hard core people from being able to level everything to 120, 150, etc. I just don't think we need the punishment before that.

2. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Just an FYI :)

3. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

ah... missed that. cool.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

cartodude likes this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Also death from PVP and duel won't trigger skill decay.

Anyway, let's keep talking about skill decay here and leave that thread for health and regen.. I went off to the weed a little bit myself :p

Oba Evesor, cartodude and StevieD like this.
  6. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I honestly dont know.
    This is kind of why I say decay wont bother me (or any higher level guy who rarely dies). I can clear Deep in 10 or 15 minutes, all of it. I wont die doing it, (provided I pay attention and dont try to eat while texting and gaming :p). Its just over 100kxp if I dont do the bears, there just isnt enough of em, if I could pull 6 or 8 I would do them.
    Basically the same with Crag.

I am not training skills, just killing, all that xp is pooling.
    I will train skills, and have no doubt that I will die, eventually. I also know I can have a pool that will support that, and not lose skills doing it. I may lose 2mil pooled xp, but as long as I have my skills still I can just build that back up.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I thought I deleted that post. Yeah that was just a miswired thought process (or maybe just a leap or connecting dots that might not even exist) so I had and later decided to discard it.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Not bad after 2 month without decay :D

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Lady Patrina

Lady Patrina Avatar

I also hate the idea of decay from death. I know that I will absolutely not do anything remotely challenging, particularly the more GMs I get. Why would I want to have to earn back those millions of pool XP to get back skills that have decayed because of one misstep. I don't have a lot of time to play and my GM took a nearly a month to get, sacrificing everything else.

The first time I lost a GM to this, I would definitely reconsider if I wanted to keep investing time into the game. It's already too focused on grinding, but this would just be over the top!

A way better idea would be lack of use of skill decay. Say, after 3 months if you haven't used a skill it slowly degrades. You'd get warnings letting you know that you're starting to become less proficient in (insert skill here), and you'd have to start using it to keep it up. GM's wouldn't be lost, but maybe go into a XP debt state, where you could chose to either lose the GM or not gain any other skills till the XP debt is paid off.

Don't penalize people for trying hard things by taking away skill xp.

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

When you lost GM, the progress doesn't go down all the way. Notice the OP have all his skill progress almost fully green.

So if it takes 100 xp to to go from level X to Y. When the skill decay hit, you may only need 1-5 xp to get back.

For those who gain XP legitimately, the xp needs for skill decay would be only a fraction of what you put on to gain skill level, so it won't be a big deal. The folks who will get hit hard are those who got mad XP via exploits or LoS tricks in cobtrol points. Should those got fixed, they would not be able to easily gain mad XP to fulfill the decay.

I myself for hit by decay in my first death in QA and was able to get my level back up within 10 mins and that was because I didn't pay attention. Then I die a few times within 2-3 hours, the skill decay wasn't severe anymore compare to the first time.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Lady Patrina

Lady Patrina Avatar

Thanks for the perspective. Even so, though, why penalize death? Why not make it natural decay which is both more logical and less inhibiting to people trying to adventure. It just feels like a slap in the face for trying something hard, versus rewarding the adventuresome player.

As for the 10 minutes, I often only have 20-3o minutes to play at a time (as I have health related issues that preclude me from being at the computer for 2-3 hours at a time). If I die 1 time, it essentially negates my time. That's a definite deterrent.

For that matter WHY have skill decay on death? What possible good can come from it?

12. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

This thread brings up an old bug that no one has mentioned here yet. There was a bug that the "maintain" selection on the skill tree was using way too much experience to maintain the skills. At that time, it was using so much experience to just maintain your skills that it was much harder to gather up a pool of experience normally so you could choose a few skills to level at a good rate.

This is the reason I had my skills set to the hyphen "not training" selection. I was under the impression that there was a bug with the "maintain" setting that was using up way too much of the experience that I would prefer to have go directly into my pool.

Now, was that old bug fixed and when was that bug fixed? I do not remember it in any patch notes.

13. RadioMan

RadioMan Avatar

imho, crafting xp should not be lost to death.

decay should not build when players are offline.

Also, great care needs take in regards how much adventure xp is lost to decay vs time to regain it. If people have to farm 10+ hours a week just to keep up with decay, the game is definitely going to lose players.

Gravidy, cobran, lollie and 5 others like this.
  14. Krytian

Krytian Avatar

Correct me if i'm wrong but won't this just turn the game into a giant grind fest. I don't like grinding i'm a casual gamer and i want to play in a relaxed way. If i go to just explore and enjoy the game i now have to worry if it's WORTH looking around the game. @DarkStarr i hope that as you devs are doing this you are keeping in mind that your slowly destroying the game in your attempt to "create balance". If all these changes go in as is then you'll make exploration of the game that you worked hard to create dead. No new player will come into the game and be excited to play if they have to worry about loosing xp on death or taking 10 minutes to get their focus/health back to max.

15. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

Crafting is already limited by the amount of cash you can earn to sustain it. All of my adventure coin gain goes into crafting. To decrease skill on death just seems like double indemnity to me. it already costs me everything i make, and now i have to pay twice for it? I understand that that the point of crafting is to take money out of the economy, but how much is too much?

16. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

This is a perfect way to slap casual players in the face. My precious in-game time is spent on gathering resources and crafting. Not only do I now need to train my char into an elite warrior to gather the more interesting stuff, I also risk loosing crafting xp when dying. Perfect mechanic to make me stop playing all together. I have no time to waste on stupid death penalties which make me loose time. I want to see my char evolve, not some status quo between gaining a skill level only to loose it to some stupid spider who's root I can't break.

17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I spend a moderate amount of time adventuring but usually my primary objective is gathering - trees, bushes, ores, whatever. I try to do this in a zone that will give me some sort of meaningful adventure progress, but I don't "grind" XP - to me that is repetitive and boring and not fun. I'm concerned with the decay from a personal point of view that a single death will set me back hours of adventure xp, and I will be forced to partake in mindless xp grinding just to earn it back. Grinding in this manner I barely break even on reagent cost usage and indeed often have to use a reg-free deck or melee weapon just to afford to top up. Skills start decaying I've got to up my mage skills again AND my melee skills again which means a lot of messing about and high maintenance crap.

I don't see the reasoning/logic to even have decay to begin with - I don't see what it adds to the game its basically just negating the work players put in, and levelling up is already a lot of work.

cobran, lollie and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Have anyone else actually tested on the QA by dying and see how much xp you actually need to regain in order to get back where you were, yet?

To clarify the 10 mins it took for me to regain my skill level. I didn't mean I spend 10 mins grinding the xp. I mostly spent time on figuring out why my skill went down and realized that my skill was not set to maintain. I got the skill back to the original level by using the glyph like once.

You wouldn't have to farm for 10 hours to get the XP in the pool to cover the skill decay unless you use some kind of exploits that give you millions of XP, which you can no longer use them because they got fixed.

For people who obtain the xp and gain the skill the regular way, the amount of XP you need to cover the decay should only be a tiny fracture. So if you only have time to play 20-30 mins everyday, the skill decay wouldn't hit you hard. Unless you have someone power level you every day for 30 mins.

Later today, I'll get on the QA and do a kamikaze to decay some crafting skills and see how long it would take me to get each or my crafting skill back to what they were.

NRaas likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Wow, people whine a lot.

NRaas and Elwyn like this.
  20. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

Worst idea ever. Next let's have mobs that kill us loot our gear.

StevieD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.