Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Agriculture should require foraging to be good

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I feel like the agriculture skill should help you plant things better. But the foraging skill should help you gather what's been grown better.

You can still grow and pick cotton bushes without skill (for example) but you'll do it more efficiently and effectively if you have the skills.

If the reason it's not currently works this way is because of potential exploits farming experience, simply don't give experience for foraging player planted goods.

I hope we see this change soon.

Acred, Browncoat Jayson, Numa and 6 others like this.
  2. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I wonder why planting and harvesting doesn't increase pooled production XP... And yes I know that agriculture is not consuming any yet but so it is with skills that you put on not training.

Acred, Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

If it were producing experience, you could plant, unplant, over and over again to increase your pool. Easy to exploit.

Leelu and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Yes you could "work" for your XP by planting and harvesting. It is btw something that consumes lots of both money and time and I think it must be quite hard to macro (not sure as I don't macro anything). I have heard people macroing fishing. How different is that way to earn XP? Oh, I know! It is way easier....

(Edit: I assume you gain XP by fishing if fishing skill is turned to not train)

5. Drocis the Devious

When you right click on a plant you can "unplant it". Meaning you could plant it and unplant the same plant over and over again in rapid succession. That's very different than nodes in the wild.

It would be like if we gave experience for filling a bucket of water.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Good suggestion.. and frankly, we need something to make farming more than what we currently have.. using other skills seems like a clear way to make it more interesting.

7. Lained

Lained Avatar

When you use the remove plant feature you destroy the both the plant and seed so it'd be a costly way to earn XP if it was introduced.

8. Drocis the Devious

Good point. However if you're telling me that 3 gold per X experience is something people would not gladly pay, I would disagree. :)

9. Lained

Lained Avatar

The cheapest seed at the moment is pumpkin at 6g, add the 4g for the water assuming you don't want to waste time harvesting it for free. I've no idea the value of XP or what someone would pay just wanted to point out there's a cost.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I honestly think they arnt done agriculture yet. They hsve to have the tree there for a reasoh. i expect they just wanted to get it in game, before adding skill balance to it.
    Its same thing as poisons and health pots in alchemy. and lack of cookiny specialties and such.
    I fully think that its safe to say its coming

11. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

How much costs one worm? How about if you have GM bait recovery? How much costs one xp point then? I still wonder how planting or/and harvesting is different than fishing when speaking about increasing XP pool? I only know that fishing is more laid back and easier to macro...

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Meh. can just as easily farm a mine for exp. think no matter how you look at it its time = crafting exp

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Exactly
    And still wondering this....

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ahh yea. you would think it would increase. Think they havnt added exp as they havnt really added skill value to it. im assuming its coming as they actually transition it into a real skill and not just an action.

15. Drocis the Devious

Here's the difference. Eventually nodes run out of "stuff". Water doesn't have endless fish, does it? (I've never gone fishing in this game) If it does, that's a design flaw.

Right, exactly.

So if we add XP to farming, we have to balance that out with other ways of adding to your crafting XP pool. That would mean that either fishing (in this example) would have to be a lot faster than it currently is, or that farming would have to be a lot slower to make up for whatever the difference in time was. For the sake of argument, let's say we do that and there's no time problem. There's still going to be a location problem however, because as far as I know you can't just make a fishing pond wherever you want it. You have to travel there, and in order to store what you have you have to travel to a bank or a home. In some cases this might not be very far at all, but in most cases it adds a significant amount of time (and perhaps risk) that farming wouldn't have.

The point I'm trying to make is that instead of trying to balance that, I'm in favor of just making farming different by 1. not giving it xp, and 2. allowing farms to continue to be in your yard or inside your home.

MrBlight likes this.
  16. Arthur Ironfist

Arthur Ironfist Avatar

How about player grown harvesting should only return xp upon successfully harvesting a mature plant, right? Give xp on the fruit of the players labors, not for putting the seed in the ground and watering.

uhop likes this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The chance to catch anything decreases as you fish in the same area over time, then increases as the area is not used for a while. So yes, it does kind if use up the node but without removing it.

Honesty, I'd rather see this used on all nodes, so you can still gather but with a decreasing chance of success, rather than simply not finding nodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.