Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Agriculture: 'Update failed because the item is currently locked'.. :(

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Steevodeevo, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hi,

Are the Devs able to say whether this really irritating pop-up has been commented on by players before or ideally is under review?

It really needs smoothing out as it makes harvesting really clunky inefficient and not fun..

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'm not a dev, but had a just in case thingie.

If that is what I think it is and it is the same as you get sometimes when trying to open chests and they are already in use then it is due to latency when you doubleclick the item.
    I remember having plenty of such issues when I was using the large planting beds.

If so then there are two remedies for that:
    A)
    Never use doubleclick in agriculture - always use the 'E' key.
    B)
    Bind the "Decoration mode" to a key and toggle it off everytime you want to do agriculture.

If that is some other issue then I don't recognize that specific one. However I'm not a great farmer so I might have missed it.

3. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I think the latency issue is the problem Spoon, I suspect your suggestions will help, thank you.

How do I bind Deco mode to a key btw mate?

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

ESC
    Settings
    scroll through the list a lot before you find it
    click the box square next to it
    put in a key
    close the settings

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Rentier and Steevodeevo like this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. It's because the act of clicking a mouse button (or even a trackpad!) causes your fingers to move just a little, which is just enough to trigger item moving, which locks the item due to the need to synchronize with other players in the scene.

I consider it a reminder to hit my deco mode key (I use control-keypad-plus) because I forgot to turn it off. I prefer to leave it off most of the time so I don't accidentally move things, and also it affects taking stacks of items out of chests when standing in your lot.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed. But please note that American players usually don't experience it due to latency. This since the two clicks in the double click are both separate events.
    Hence if the FPS update is bad then you will get it more and if it's good you will get it less.
    Which is why you never get it if you use the 'E' key instead of double click.
    But with containers the 'E'key comes with the issue of accidental Take All.
    *sigh*

All of which would be solved with splitting the 'use' from the 'take' and have one shortcut key for each.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Nuh-uh. What's happening is that after the first click, but before the button is released, the mouse moves slightly from the force of the click. This causes a "drag the item around" event to be sent. The second click becomes detected as a double-click, because most people who make UIs don't filter it out when the first click already did something, then that gets sent as an "open the item" event.

This happens to me all the time when I'm using a trackpad, everywhere, not just in SotA, and I have to try again by clicking with a fingernail. At least I have a trackpad with a real clicky button in it (2011-era MacBook Pro), not one that only uses capacitive touch pressure.

This is all done by the client. I'm in Texas and there is still a bit of processing lag of the server transactions that the double-click is rejected for item being "in use" from the drag. It's nothing to do with ping time. But I wouldn't be surprised if low FPS makes it worse somehow.

The reason why you don't get it with the E key is that the mouse doesn't move (because you're touching the keyboard instead), and the E key can't trigger a "drag the item" event anyhow.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Magos likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Elwyn
    Agreed on the 'registering a drag placement' bit on the first click.

But when it was at its worst before persistance when we did those Cabinet mazes then with the laptop touchpad thingie where the click pad is outside the move pad you could still get it with no mouse movement, just by doing sorta slow doubleclicks.
    So back then I'd do a rapidfire doubleclick like one does in some shooters to get it to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.