Ah well just a litle Rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sadly as with any MMO some of the cream is rising to the surface.:(

No mater how many time you say it a player running around, grinding to make a level they will not Loot the corpse so it will respawn faster, also they will just run up and take the kill shot on a critter to get the exp. To bad the name we are making will not last so I know who to just add as Blocked idiots in the future :)

Make a Community just avoid those players, enjoy single player :eek: as even in multi player will just avoid you :mad:

kadumel likes this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Feel free to add the names to your blocked list now.

It is the account that is tracked, so your block list will be retained even through the next wipe (I have had names on my block list for many releases now). :)

enderandrew, Net, Sunswords and 5 others like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sounds like problems in the game design :eek: Kill shot shouldn't give you the exp, and mobs in the final game shouldn't noticeably respawn while you're staying in the same hex anyway.

enderandrew, Net, Fox Cunning and 5 others like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Why would anyone design a game to function like this? Other than it's easier than thinking a few moves in advance.

I'm not much of an "Achiever" so for me all this grinding is a huge waste of time. If I'm going to achieve something, it had better be more or different than 50% of the population that goes out into the woods to hack and slash for 3 hours a day.

I'd like to see some innovation around obtaining EXP. For starters, if you're killing the same thing over and over again I'm not sure what kind of experience that is giving you. Also, getting the "kill shot" doesn't really do much for me either.

All of this is fine and expected at this stage of development. I'd just hope that we could add a little more depth to the leveling system.

Oh, and as far as blocking every other person that makes you upset in the game? There's an entire single player only mode.

Joviex, Dane, Logain and 5 others like this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This thread reminds me of the early days of playing UO when I was in Moonglow Graveyard.

I would be there 7xGM watching some noob killing skeletons shouting "Mine Mine!", "Its my skeleton".......just as I summon my Water Elemental and "All Kill"......I wouldn't even bother looting, who needs 14 Gold anyway ;)

Good times ;)

Resurrected, fantalio, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Killing obnoxious newbs is gratifying.

In SotA, how about any player who drops an "F" bomb, says "Mine! Mine!" or otherwise pesters you is subject to open PvP and fully lootable for 10 99 minutes.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So you saw a player killing skeletons so you killed them all so he couldn't?

Sounds like a great play feature.

Ned888 and Montaigne like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally... I've already expressed my opinion on other threads that random wilderness scenes should on average be pretty lonely, with player-to-player encounters only as an exception to the rule. Party members and friends excepted from that limit, of course. Though keeping a lot more chances for encounters at more important POI in the game.

But someone stepping all over your combat in a random wilderness scene should generally not even be an issue that comes up. IMO, anyway.

Moonshadow and Duke Raas like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Indeed.. functionality first. I expect things will change.

In regards to killing the same stuff repeatedly though I think there are two primary schools of thought. One the one hand it seems to make sense that if you're just repeating the same experience over and over that XP would decrease and you'd want to diversify in order to maximize your XP gains. On the other hand, being forced to move around a lot is potentially unpopular. It's inconvenient to a point and so I think a balance needs to be struck.

Agreed on the kill shot. People stealing kills is always a problem when it allows one to take all the XP for themselves. Rather XP should accumlate during the fight.. not just by doing damage but also by taking hits. I might suggest something more like this..

Every time you land a hit you have a chance at XP.. the amount of which depends on how much damage you do.. as well as a difficulty comparison with your opponent. (comparing skills, gear etc) When you take a hit you get XP based on damage taken up to a point with an upper cap gained per opponent such that death will remove any XP recieved from damage.. you MUST survive in order for XP to take.

As far as exploitability, this is where the need to diversify could come in handy. The whole point though is that no risk = no reward. If you're not taking damage or at least aggro (in the case of ranged combat) than you shouldn't get as much XP cause there's no risk. An easy kill is an easy kill.

So in the case of stealing a kill shot you only get a tiny bit of XP for landing a hit with damage. The bulk of the XP goes to the person who does all the work.

In the case of ranged combat though.. that might be a little harder to figure out.. or not.. maybe it should be a little harder to get xp for archers and mages using ranged spells?

Sunswords and Schmidbauer like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh I totaly agree with that idea. Something like that happening to me would irritate me to no end....imagine finding a nice area and some higher level guy comes in just to kill things easily.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think if it wasn't for the attitude of the player I probably wouldn't have done it to be fair.

blaquerogue and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

round up a party and pilage the land, there's no way they'll kill em faster than a party of 8 unless they have a party of eight ... at which point both parties should go to the battle of solice bridge and lay waste to each other repeatedly.

13. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I wish there was a double like button.

14. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

When I played UO, I got so tired of d3wdsp3ak that whenever I saw someone do it, I attacked them. No warning, no checking flags or anything like that. Out comes the crossbow, thunk thunk.

I died at Brit bank... a lot.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The only thing that concerns me is the usage of the block list. Sometimes things just happen. Also you never know when somebody might be useful to you later.

It just seems that the block list is far too convenient in SotA. If you make somebody the slightest bit cranky they can block you. That is weird if you think about it. They are developing an online game, but people just ban anybody who steals kills (IN PRE-ALPHA!) I'm usually a polite person in online games, but I deliberately stole kills from people to TEST if I can steal the full XP or not. I probably got blocked by that guy because of that. Even if it is their loss, it is a loss for everybody because what if we become guildmates a year from now? The person may have blocked me or I blocked him because I had an inconvenience while mining resources one day and forgot all about it.

I've always been against a block list for people flagged for PvP. I hope that never ever happens. However, the block list in general is way too convinient. There should be a limit to the number of people you block so that people have to decide if this person is really bad enough to use one of their block slots.

Blocking should be for true griefers. If somebody has more than 20 people blocked then maybe they shouldn't be playing an online game period.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Knights Against Corrupt Manners

Raven Swiftbow likes this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Blocking in this game does not eliminate the user from your view. So, if you find that you are standing in front of each other and are unable to hold a conversation, then that should probably be a clue something is amiss.

Drat, guess I would already be scuppered then, glad you are not in charge of the game's ruleset. ;)

18. smack

smack Avatar

So, Lum....you will be playing in Open PvP mode right? :)

Ronan and Gaelis like this.
  19. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Should have used Explosion / FlameStrike / fireball, better chance of delivering the killing blow.

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Regarding killing the same thing over and over - I did play a mud that tracked your kill history (last 50 kills) and would reduce the experience gained depending on how many of those were the same as the creature you just killed.

fantalio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.