Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

AI speed = good

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Before I start this thread, I want to say that there is zero sarcasm in what I'm about to say. I honestly love this.

I'm really enjoying being chased around scenes by packs of AI working together. I'm also loving that I see so many skeletons of players laying around. I think the fact that I can now swing (free attack) hitting multiple enemies at the same time is a very good "counter" to packs of wolves, etc...

I love it. It's about time.

The only change I'd make to all this is to fix how mobs will side step players and then suddenly every swing you take makes you miss. That's pretty frustrating. I'm using daggers and I can't hit small things like wolf spiders at all. I also have a hard time with skeletons, and just about anything on an incline.

Ideally, since this game really CAN'T be about positioning (it will never work) I think it would be great if player and AI could just lock into place or slow down or settle into a combat frame so that you weren't missing because of some weird technical glitch (and so latency in pvp wouldn't matter).

But overall, this has been a refreshing change. I love that I can't out run everything anymore!

2. Frank Bach

Frank Bach Avatar

Also love it! The only thing that I find ridiculous is how fast they return to their origin point. Thats well...a bit stupid

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Stahlknecht and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Good feedback. Positioning has been iterated on quite a bit over the last few months. Most of the reason mobs side step is essentially to keep them attacking from an optimal distance based on their weapon, while respecting the space around their target... so they don't clump up OR get too close to the player. The player is usually not stationary and it's easy to see this working if you walk closer to a melee mob - they should slide back into position - to prevent interpenetrating the player.

We are certainly interested in fixing the ranges so that players get hit the mobs toe-to-toe. Ideally they would behave as they currently do - but you'd be able to hit them within that range.

They do return to their leash via sprinting - we wanted to make it obvious that they are invulnerable and leashing. Luckily its just a modifier on their speed - and can easily be tuned. Before we gave them 'turbo' folks would write bugs up wondering why they wouldn't do damage - and why they were simply turning their backs combat.

4. Kendaric

Kendaric Avatar

It´s mostly a problem with small or "flat" creatures (e.g. crocodiles, spiders, slimes), the only other creature where I´ve noticed that is the large skeleton footman (the twohanded sword wielding skeleton).

5. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Also love that is not so easy to out run creatures. But make wolves etc faster still ! :)

6. Frank Bach

Frank Bach Avatar

I ask myself if and why it is necessary for enemies to return to their leash and why they are invulnerabel during that. It feels so static and enforced. It would be more natural if they suddenly just stop chasing you (slow down) and then return to their leash in a normal speed, being full vulnerable during that. Or maybe start roaming elsewhere. Whats the point in MMOs that enemies always work like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.