1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

All forms of unlearning skills should return 100% Experience

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by that_shawn_guy, Jul 31, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

The current system penalizes players try new builds, skills, etc. With a system that truly requires you to earn the XP and then gives you lots of flexibility in how quickly to spend it, this "change tax" doesn't seem to fit.

This is especially problematic for new players who are just figuring out the systems and try lots of skills. I would be surprised if anyone playing under a month would know that the simplest/obvious way of unlearning a skill does not return 100%.

I do not think cause reduction of value for the items of unlearning as they are still a very convenient tool even with a change like this.

Adam Crow, FBohler and Tirrag like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Based off the information on the current Player Guide (or press the ? icon at the top right of your screen in game):

Unlearning: The skill will never consume EXP. The skill will quickly lose experience as other skills gain experience. A portion of the experience deducted from the skill will be refunded back into the Experience pool. All skills with levels greater than 80 will give back 100% experience when unlearning.

So.. a skill from 1 to 80, only return a "portion" of xp back. But the xp from 81 to 200 is refunded back at 100%.

The XP amount for raising a skill from 1 to 80, isn't really a significant amount of xp, I don't believe? That's your concern?

StarLord, Tirrag and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

The XP from 1 to 80 isn't significant when you have a stack of skill over 100. It can "feel" significant when your tops skills are in the 60s.

FBohler, Tirrag and Anpu like this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Thanks for checking!

Barugon likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This is the exact quote from the Player Guide:

Unlearning: The skill will never consume EXP. The skill will quickly lose experience as other skills gain experience. A portion of the experience deducted from the skill will be refunded back into the Experience pool. All skills with levels greater than 80 will give back 100% experience when unlearning.

Another way to "unlearn" a skill is with a "Obsidian Item of Unlearning" book, purchasable from the in-game Crown Store. Such an item can reduce a skill down to the minimum level while recovering 100% of the experience points used to obtain its current level. Recovered experience points are returned to your experience pool and can then be used to increase other skill levels.

What specific quote above is incorrect?

6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

That part is incorrect. Any skill not specifically set to give 100% unlearn (as sometimes happens after large balance changes) will only return 50% of its XP when set unlearning, regardless of level.

I've done spot checks on it using a bunch of arbitrary skills a few times in the last 2 years or so and I've never seen it behave differently than returning only 50%.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd love to see this. If I ever get back in full time and do the respec I tried out on QA, I'd like to be able to unlearn air skills down to 100, rather than use an Obsidian Item to drop them to 0/40 then train them back up. Especially after playing FO76 again, and just being able to instantly respec as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.