Allow for the proper metals for crafting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Anuuk, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

I hate it when games have precious metals to appear like they offer more durability in weapons and armor than hard metals.. Like if a game has 'gold' as something better in a melee weapon than say, 'steel'...

That makes no logical sense. Understanding this is a 'fictional' game but I think it should still follow a logical basis.

I'm sure when one looks at all the available hard metals compared to soft or precious metals then people who know which ones are right for certain metallurgical purposes would know that gold would make for a horrible weapon. Although it might look pretty or have a higher cost value than something rugged like nickel or iron.

... but Steel makes for some seriously durable and nice melee weapons. Maybe someone who knows more about black smithing could add more to what I'm trying to get at...

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally I think this is a no brainer. One thing that kinda annoyed me about UO.. having gold armor and such. I understand from the standpoint of giving players options but is it not better to come up with something new than using soft metals just to justify colored armor?

If you want to allow gold colored armor than make up a gold colored hard metal. Perhaps a fictional type metal similiar to iron that can be combined to make a couple different colored items similiar to different types of steel. I'm not sure of the process but I know you can get blue steel and black steel. So why not a similiar process for a mythical metal for other colors of items?

3. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

Aside from actual sharpness or durability, (or magical) property's and if we only look for a moment at style and color...

Then I can imagine various metals already have somewhat different natural colors from each other and smelting them into ingots would retain whatever that color is. Then to go further, I'm sure it wouldn't take much creativeness of the devs to allow for some type of ingot tarnishing or a type of added process that allows each natural color to be turned into one or more other finished colors.

If not coloring of the metal then perhaps various armors could include leather for various purposes (like straps), which could be dyed various colors and then the whole set could have parts of colored leather to make one look a bit different than the other.

Leather or cloth armor is a bit different if not a lot easier to imagine how they could get colored (or dyed). It's the metal that I was mainly referring to.

4. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Color has become such an important factor in customizing your character that im surprised there isnt a crafting line thats sole purpose is the arts of dyes and paints.

Many games now days use color and dye of a means to force players to pay micro transactions when I think it needs to be a game feature.

5. Viper0hr

Viper0hr Avatar

You have to also think of it from a fictional alchemy mindset.
    Though I do overall agree. I feel that crafting should be as realistic as possible and someone should not be able to just turn wood and steel into a sword.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.