am i considderd less of a player in shorud since i dont pvp ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgoth redbeard, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

And, it enriched your gaming experience I bet. Otherwise, you'd sit there and kill 100 more spiders bored out of your mind?

Duke Avery likes this.
  2. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

That's YOUR reality :)

Duke Gréagóir and FrostII like this.
  3. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

The biggest problem that I see to this sort of system is that it sets up a barrier to those entering PVP later in the game since the PVP'ers who were already there are now well ahead in skills and XP over a newer entry that the newer PVP'er might never try, or get discouraged early and leave. This is not a balanced approach and personally - I don't think it was well thought out. There has to be a better answer to it that does not create a barrier/discourage new PVP'ers from entering the field of battle.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That is reality. I speak true.

MrBlight and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Grindy - Friends Only/Single Online
    Grindy & Annoying - Multiplayer Non PvP
    Grindy & More Annoying - Multiplayer PvP

Gravidy, Numa, Womby and 6 others like this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There is offline mode as well :p

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Something we can all agree on!!! hehe

3devious, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Leelu like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't really feel very strongly one way or the other about the experience bonus for PvP, but this thinking is flawed. Anyone that is a participant in the game economy is affected by all other participants, regardless of whether or not they see each other or do the same things. What if the experience bonus for PvP was 10,000%? Would it still be irrelevant to people not participating in PvP? Obviously not.

FrostII likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Incorrect on both counts.... ;)

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You haven't managed to get away from the illusion then. One day you will receive the light.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

How would you encourage PvP? It is obviously neglected and broken. Think big, because I have a feeling it can make or break a game.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I was so wrong. Gee all this time I thought this game was about FUN.
    How mistaken I have been. To find out now that the game is supposed to be all about Real Life?
    Wow just think, after spending a rough day at the office, taking care of the kids, fighting traffic, dealing with the boss, work, you name it and I should come home and have a great time imitating Real Life all over again.
    Now let me tell you the truth. I decide what I want to do. I decide the type of game I want to play. I play it for FUN not to entertain some PvPer. What I consider Fun will be totally different than what anyone else may consider FUN. If PvP were that enjoyable to the vast majority of players you would NOT have to add all kinds of special rewards to get people to try it.

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Agreed... the times that I've been killed I barely had time to realize what was happening, much less react, much less have a chance at defending myself. Not sure how to mitigate against that.

Also, I thought Thrax Bank was flush with cash?! :D

Duke Avery likes this.
  14. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Portalarium is making the mistake of incentivizing PvP participation with XP instead of meaningful PvP content. XP is the path, it should not be the reward. See my factions post in the PvP forum for more information. :)

Gravidy, Acred, syxs and 2 others like this.
  15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Depends on the game. I could name 100 games on the market that are more successful than SotA that have PvP.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

There has to be some way to rework the risk/reward ratio to make it high risk and low reward to gank others who do not stand a chance at defending themselves.

Do you see a solution?

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I have a feeling that Blood Bay will be a hotbed for bringing new PVP mechanics online. I doubt the XP bonus will last as a carrot but Portalarium had to do something to get these people out of their grinds and into multiplayer. PVP is getting a new scene with housing lots and there's already choice and consequence blue/red virtue mechanics sorting us as players. I'm expecting good things to come of PVP - but there may need to be a marketing push to achieve it. So many of the people here just want decos and grind and XP in solo and friends mode... and there are loads of folks still waiting for meaningful PVP - which kinda blows because anyone not participating in early access is just making development harder on the devs. They need all of us playing to capture the stats required for change and balance. Maybe rather than trying to convert a crowd that already knows why they're here (grind) - Portalarium may have to change their marketing strategies. To get PVP really up and running, SotA may need to adopt a new face entirely.

MrBlight, Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I agree with your statements for the most part, but the people the XP bonus has drawn are only there because they feel disadvantaged. Some PvPers may not care as long as they have new meat to slaughter, but I wont be participating until PvP is meaningful. Did Portalarium "need" to pull people into PvP? No, the game isn't even launched yet. The XP bonus was a bandaid on a wound that requires a trauma tourniquet.

I'm not saying this as a poke at portalarium, they have time to do something to fix this, but they're moving forward with ideas that weren't born among the community they worked so hard to include in the process... and that, I fear is a mistake.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's not something I've given a lot of thought to, but generally speaking, I think it would be good if there were more reward for PvPing. By PvPing I mean fighting other players, not just being flagged and doing other stuff. Anything to make PvP itself more fun would be good also. Just throwing out carrots for something that sucks won't do it.

In any case, the only point I was trying to make was that people need to stop pretending like we're not all affected by what other players are doing and how they are progressing. We're all playing in the same economy, so of course these types of things are relevant to everyone.

20. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

What I mean is that it hardly exists, because it is all about levels not skill. If someone is flagged and some guy, just like you. 20 levels above see him/her and go "Oooooh, a PvP flagged player, I am gonna kill him/her" you don't care that if it is purely ganking because of the level difference, you just laugh because you find it funny you one-shotted the poor soul. PvP should be between 2 players approximatly the same level to actually be fun.

Once they have that I can call it PvP else it is just sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.