Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toff

Toff Avatar

This could be a game killer for me. No I haven't tried it yet ( hopefully logging in tomorrow for some R5 time ) but the thought of the "Game" telling me how to fight and not choosing how "I" want to is not appealing to me. Seriously guys (Devs) I am not 8yrs old and I don't want to play Pokemon. If I want to cast fireball all the time it should be my choice not some random card from a deck.

Please....it's not too late, turn around from this course. Or at least make it for PvP arenas only.

2. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I believe they want us to give it a shot to see how well it actually works, and if the players like it before they might change it. I think that they mentioned it wouldn't be too hard to change it to a normal taskbar type system if the card system didn't pan out. Can't remember where I might have read that before. I am going to give it a shot once it is fully in place (this release won't have the full options yet, at least that is what I get from reading it). So probably come R6 or something when most of the mechanics are in is when I will say yay or nay to it.

Time Lord, Khloec and Toff like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The combat is what the devs want it to be. It's their decision, and this is the way they want to do it. If that's not for you, no problem at all, don't play the game. Games can't suit everyone.

I could go on but, really, that's as simple as it gets. Just because you think you won't like the combat style (which has been described for over a year now), doesn't mean it should be changed.

As Brad says, there's a chance it might change, but that's only if they can't get it working to their satisfaction, not because someone says, "Hey, I might not like this..." before they've even tried it.

Doppelganger and Montaigne like this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The logical next step would be to have the cards tell you when to take a break from the game, where to go for dinner, etc. Advertisers could even sponsor cards. Play long enough, deal yourself a free pizza.

5. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Sold!! :p

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

for some reason, I like it... maybe because it's different from what I've seen and used in other online roleplaying games... I'm going to give it a chance... tomorrow...

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So do I, which is a whole separate issue from what I was saying to the OP earlier, ie: whether I like it or not, doesn't change that it's ultimately in the hands of the devs and something they want to try and make work.

For anyone who's actually been in a real fight, you don't get to pull off every move, perfectly, in the order you want to pull them off. Ever. There is always a kind of randomness in fighting, and this system will replicate that.

I find it quite robotic to be able to press a button and do whatever you want to do, regardless of what's happening in a fight. It's actually more realistic to have moves you want to pull off, but whether you can or not's another story.

Batoche1864 and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I dont know what Pokemon or wathever has to do with the combat system in Sota.

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

hope they don't change it to something like having a built-in system where you can stack the skills you want and assign it to a button... saw and tried it in one MMORPG and it sucks...

well, it did made grinding for levels easier...

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  10. Toff

Toff Avatar

As for my OP, I was not trolling just giving my opinion, I also said I was going to try it. That being said..... Sota has these forums for a reason, player feed back, they say they are making a game for the players based on what the players want, I am just giving them my humble opinion to that respect.

Canterbury, "The combat is what the devs want it to be. It's their decision, and this is the way they want to do it. If that's not for you, no problem at all, don't play the game. Games can't suit everyone." Yes, it is their decision and they are asking for our input to make it. I gave mine.

Gracekain, "Another troll post? We have yet to try it so how can you say it is bad? It is just like gay sex, don't knock it if you haven't tried it ;)" Ummm...Yeah?

Gracekain, "I also find it interesting that you create a post about making card games available in sota but you do not want card based combat.....o_O" Your point would be??????

11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In the 5 releases we've seen so far, we've seen the devs alter course and revise their original design given feedback.

For example, the original design was to be very immersive with zero hand holding. There were going to be no health bars. All NPC dialogue had to be typed in fully. And there was no auto quest journal.

In R5, you have optional health bars. You can click on dialogue topics. And things can get added to your quest journal automatically.

I doubt they'd totally scrap the deck system and write something completely new from scratch this late in the game, but I'm sure the deck system will be tweaked and balanced given feedback.

And from what I've seen, it doesn't look or play like a card game. It plays more like WoW's ability bar, but what abilities you have at a given moment are a bit more dynamic that WoW. In WoW, it is a little dynamic of what ability procs a cooldown at a given moment, but you stare at 4 toolbars at once because they're all visible at once. SotA doesn't have 4 massive toolbars. You basically don't see abilities that aren't proc'ed.

Vision OpenWorld, Milzer78 and Toff like this.
  12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This is nothing like Pokemon or a card game.

Margard likes this.
  14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You broke my hearth. :(

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

NOt all card games are created equal. Don't think of this as a simple poker or pokeman system...think of it as a strategicaly built deck system....ala dominion or thunderstone.

Bodhbh Dearg and enderandrew like this.
  16. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

Interesting, can't wait to test this, sounds pretty much the way I envisioned it. Was thinking of WoW and other MMO abilities that proc off crit etc and thinking a card pop up is no different to an ability lighting up.

Bodhbh Dearg and enderandrew like this.
  17. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

1st reminder. for R5 there will be no skill deck (note not using card, its skill deck that you will choose your tactic for the battle to come)
    For R5 there is only minimal amount of ½ made skill placeholders and its WoW atm.

Game wont tell you how to fight, you do that, by making decision of your tactic for the fight and then using, hopefully, your skill to maximize your tactic (paying attention)

Also note R5 will have combat floties (damage numbers) & health bars that will not be in when game lauches. This is barebones test and not even proof of concept yet, so take it as it is.

But this and many other aspects have been beaten to death over & over, and probably will be beaten up to launch too so this is quite irrelevant attempt to repeat what has been discussed tons :/

There could be significant advantages in the system like non twitch combat / not ping relevant, meaninful choices, skill, lvl up only gives you more options not power and probably bunch of others too. That being said, I hope they pull it off. I suspect we get to test something at r7 or r8 that would give ample taste for what they are really going for. After r8-r9 if it sucks, ill join you in with my torch & pitchfork.

18. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Starr allready said that they put the health bars & combat floaties in for this release becaues they dont have all systems up (to visually SHOW whats happening in the battle). So they will be gone. Journal in my understanding is not right off quest one, but log of what you have talked with the NPC. So no hand helding, rather not having to write it all down on paper your self. Acceptable in my terms.

Mishri, Eldyth, Eriador and 1 other person like this.
  19. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I don't think you're understanding the system very well. If you want to cast fireballs all the time, just make sure you have good deck setups with Fireballs.

Try it out before you rule it out.

Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will work (before offering my criticism.

20. Toff

Toff Avatar

I did say I want to cast (For example) fireballs ALL the time, not some of the time, not when the deck gives me one, but ALL the time as long as I have regs in my pack I just want to randomly toss them about. I think it is you who does not understand the system very well. And as I quoted... I am going to log on in just a little bit actually and test the R5 combat. I still want TOTAL control of the skills I learned to use as I see fit when I want them or need them. These are just my opinions.

Freak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.