Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Actually they have to put a minimap
    $1.7 million stretch goal
    Dynamic and contested resource nodes, Optional Minimap,
    Optional minimap for the directionally impaired

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You know what, there's a little "Finding Nemo" game for android. It is really low stress, and really simple. If you can't figure out what the cards do, and if they are confusing to you I suggest playing Nemo. You can collect little fish, and build up your reef to yield more coins and algae, and you can earn rare fish. If you have trouble you can always buy pearls in the store for real cash.

I'm not joking with you. If you cannot understand the cards, you might need to leave MMO's and RPGs behind and retire on some little games.

3. High Baron Asguard

Wow, well done at dodging the question. Remove the quick use bar and tell me that you know what each of the keys do. No icons on the screen, no UI

4. High Baron Asguard

Maybe you have forgotten but this game is supposed to have no HUD, its all supposed to be invisible if you want. In fact people didn't even want health bars, experience bars and mana bars and CERTAINLY no quick use bar

Go back and play Mysteries of the Sith where you used force powers by clicking on the relivent F key, nothing ever displayed on the screen to tell you which key was which you were expected to KNOW it. THAT'S a good game, THAT'S unobtrusive

5. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I'm kind of liking it, combat as a whole is still dated and clunky because its alpha but I found it oddly fun waiting to see what came up next. Seems like a really complex system compared to the by the numbers wow combat I'm used to and like. Its got more promise than I would have given it credit for before I played it yesterday.

6. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

You should be making the hand prohibitive to play for the lower pp. Yes some people will play a hand no matter the cost but you can tailor the odds to your advantage by making it too expensive for them to enter a hand. If you let any tom/****/harry go post flop then an AA has a lot less chance of still being the best hand at the river. AA is certainly not a guarantee of a win and with more people in a hand your odds of keeping that AA as the winning hand go down. Best to try and get rid of most of the chaff to give yourself a good chance of winning. I obviously like to get AA but im aware of its limitations against a number of other hands. But you know all this im sure, playing at Vegas regular and all.

Making the deck is a little like preflop to me. You kind of know what you are going to be up against and can have a deck for that purpose. Knowing you are fighting someone skilled in whatever, you can try and use a deck to counter them. In poker its best to get rid of the hopers/dreamers and pit yourself against another with similar confidence in their hand. If you are up against 5 others it is difficult to make a deck that would be good against all of them. Give yourself a fighting chance by building a deck that is designed for a purpose, then with the played for chances of cards appearing you can fight with a good degree of confidence that you will do well. Sometimes the cards don't fall for you in poker/sota combat but over all on average im sure the best chosen deck and player skill in the combat will be the decider. And it is better this way imho it gives everyone a better chance of success, more fun for all, but rewards the knowledgeable and skilled with still the best chance of winning.

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I must have been out sick that month. When was this announced?

8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I think LB mentioned this way back during the first gameplay demo/video.

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As mikeaw1101 noted, it was proposed as one of the core tenets of the original design.

Implementing it so everything is integrated into the environment is a *huge* undertaking, which I fear may be beyond the budget of this game.

Mind you, I will enjoy watching the dev-team try regardless. :)

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Every core tenet I have seen is in writing around here some where. I am pretty good at finding them. This is one of those I am willing to bet someone will need to dig that up for me.

Mentioning a passing thought on how things should be is not something that is going to be set in stone. Specially on a ruffing out first draft they put in so we can all see things pan out.

There is plenty of time and room for improvement.

11. High Baron Asguard

It was in the Dev hang out at the time of the rooster demo and no I don't know how to access that anymore because a lot of things vanished when the forums were changed

12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Certainly more than a passing thought, considering when it was brought up to Chris last week, he did not seem to bat an eye at the concept.

I fully expect a minimalist interface is still on the table for the game.

Reference: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...hanges-for-july-17th.12809/page-3#post-215312 (Dev+ required)

13. High Baron Asguard

And this is in direct conflict with this card system. It specifically prevents a person from choosing to hide there quick use bar because they memorize what spells\skills are controlled by what button without needing that information on the screen.

14. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I played a few rounds lost most! but I really like the system, I like the idea of mixing your decks up to see what works, Its really neat and unique, Closest model would be Secret World which I really like as well.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And some of the first videos where the dev's are discussing the deck combat they discuss the major issue with UI. They know it's making everyone focus on the UI. They are working on ways to reduce that.

Scrapping the deck concept probably isn't high on their list on ways to address the issue.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I have the same problem with my 6 year old.

rune_74 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Espada

Espada Avatar

LOVING the Deck/Glyph system.

There is a lot of polishing needed but so far, I am impressed and having A TON OF FUN!

GREAT job Portalarium! It was about time something new was made in the combat area of games..

It is REFRESHING and exciting to play with this deck system. Don't get discourage by the negative feedback from people who don't even want to try the system or who don't want to adapt to new systems.. After all, we are humans.... And by nature the species is resistant towards initial change.. After people see the beauty of this system, it will be more accepting for those people. And obviously, there needs to be a harsh penalty for locked decks... Else, random decks will be at a huge disadvantage.

In the name of the many players I have spoken to so far in game, we welcome the system and want it to STAY. Thank you for the hard work and the great idea of the deck/glyph system!

We LOVE it!

majoria70, Rodriguez, monxter and 5 others like this.
  18. scorn

scorn Avatar

, there needs to be a harsh penalty for locked decks...

The id of it being so harsh that forces you to play the decks, that defeats the point of giving you chooses, so if the dev prefer you to play decks the the penalty needs to be there, but not enough to make the locked system point less,
    thanks

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No there is no hud in Finding Nemo. Just touch the fish, and touch the coral that yields coins and stuff. Really easy, even my 3 year old can do it.

20. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

It's good to see most of the naysayers change their tune about the card based system! Of course not everyone is going to like it, but I think its fun and after its fine tuned by beta, it should be kick ace. It adds an element of anticipation and excitement to combat that makes it more interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.