Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Maybe the leveling process will lighten the penalty?

2. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Right now if you use a locked deck you get a huge penalty to focus. It uses double if I am not mistaken. Is that not enough?

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There has to be a penalty....maybe not as harsh as now, but there has to be a reason to allow playrs to have their skills up if they want while others use the system. I think if they can get in random events in the deck that can be boons as they draw it would also draw players to it....seems exciting to be honest.

4. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Being forced to put ten points into Focus to do so is a pretty reasonable penalty, I think. Does that even fully remove the penalty as of now though?

I actually like this balance now. Without skill point investments, locked skills should cost 50% more focus and have 50% longer cooldown times (with a minimum of 2s). I do kind of wish the Focus skill that reduces these penalties weren't incremental. Maybe have a 1-point skill that costs ten skill points instead which fully removed the penalties.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Perish the thought! Don't include me in that line of thought, I absolutely adore the deck system.

I was merely referring to the portion regarding health-bars, not Asguard's tangent on other aspects. :)

Lord Baldrith and Trenyc like this.
  6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I can see people who don't "get" the deck system just giving up right quick, though. There needs to be a lot more information on how it works. I'd definitely suggest an in-game tutorial as well. Slugs can be really annoying to deal with when you don't know that the Focus tree can give you more slots and faster card refreshes and that the heavier armor trees can reduce the number of slugs produced by wearing heavy armor.

It's a very cool system once you learn the ins and outs, but learning the ins and outs won't be very easy for many people.

7. kronides

kronides Avatar

I too was skeptical of this combat system, but never said anything because, duh, I hadn't seen it in action. Now that I have, I no longer am skeptical, and I hope they keep it! This combat is amazing, it's so much better than boring cd's and rotations. They made the deck system so much better than anything I thought possible.

A+

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think so. Having a deck is better than a locked toolbar. Having the locked toolbar is a huge disadvantage already.

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

As being one who became frustrated with the setup of the card system very quickly, I completely agree with you. An in game tutorial would be good.

Lord Albert, Trenyc and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  10. scorn

scorn Avatar

i was

i was quoteing this " there needs to be a harsh penalty for locked decks..."
    i thank it needs to be less harsh! to locked decks

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is it a harsh penalty for locked or a excessive bonus for unlock?

Either way, I am 100% sure they are looking at the metrics to see who is using what and how successful they are. Balance will come.

12. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Right now the card system is raw ingredients. Some sweet, some salty, some spicy, some savority, some bitter, some salty... but it will be a while before it's baked into anything resembling something you'd regularly want to eat. Portalarium is preheating the oven and getting out the pans.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. scorn

scorn Avatar

im sure there will be balanced out, i know there pre production. was just voicing my op.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

To bake some Miner Thigh Pie? Some delicious PK Blood Pudding? A tasty Trammie Tongue Tort?

abovenyquist likes this.
  15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

My advice is that they have to make this combat system more dynamic, so to speak. I pk'd 2 players this morning, and it was nothing but standing there and spamming your moves as they came up in the deck. Kind of fun (since I won), but could be WAY better.

Prince Guni likes this.
  16. Angor

Angor Avatar

Now that I have played the card system, I think I like it for the most part. No one I saw just ran into a group and started hacking away. it seems to make people think about there strategy a little. I was able to take a few and then, bam, bad hand and death. I had a time figuring it out at first, then the mad Hermit tutorial sorted that out (thank you Hermit). The only thing I didn't like was respawning right where I was killed, because it wasn't always the safest place, but better than having to run some distance to your body, that would have been worse in many cases. With a few tweaks, I think this system will be great fun.

TheMadHermit and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.