AMD users - Recommended build?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Bologna, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

Hello fellow AMD users. I've always been a big fan of their cpu's. I'm currently running an older CPU (Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz)... Its been great but probably time to upgrade. I understand SOTA isn't optimized for AMD so I'm not looking for a "switch to intel" response. Any suggestions? SOTA is my main game of choice (sorry, still not switching). My current GPU is the Radeon RX480 8gb. Running 16gb ram on a Samsung SSD.

I'd love to hear your success AMD builds for this game!

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just put together a PC with a Ryzen 7 processor and a RX 480 GPU. Unfortunately, the processor requires Linux kernel 4.10, due to instability issues with earlier kernels, but the amdgpu-pro driver doesn't work on 4.10. :(

Ultimately, I had to return the RX 480 and get an Nvidia GPU.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

From what I understand it is a Unity Issue with the AMD and why don't you want to switch? I know you said you like AMDs and I've heard they are cheaper, but Sorry I just want to play and if Unity doesn't fix it anytime soon then it will be a long wait and limited games you can play with AMDs if someone doesn't have a good work around for you well ok sorry I hacked into your thread and broke the rules. Its all the imo you didn't want to hear.

4. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I was running all AMD with no issues. However, after prolonged video driver issues with Windows 10, I bought a Nvidia 1060 card which was really cheap and an upgrade from my XFX DD Radeon R9-280X-TDF. Since the game is Nvidia based it's brighter on the 1060 and great performance at MAX everything.

Currently running:
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Card name: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Grimbone and majoria70 like this.
  5. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Two of my computers use the AMD FX 8350 and I haven't run into a single game I have had any issues with on either of these 2 computers.

6. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I've got an AMD 8350 running at 4 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM. I use an Asus R9 390 with 8 GB for video. Windows 10. I don't experience crashing and I can run it at maximum settings. For all I know if I switch it'll be night and day, but it sure feels awesome.

Grimbone likes this.
  7. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

I have 8350 with 16gb ram. rx 480 graphics card. Runs fine on windows, runs less than great on Linux. I usually have Netflix streaming on one monitor and play on the other with no issues. Been a fan of using AMD since K-6 2 days because of the value for the performance.

8. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

Thanks everyone! This is exactly was I was hoping to hear. I too have stuck with AMD since the k-6 2 days.

I've been looking into an 8350 or 9590 as a temporary & cheap upgrade since I can just drop it into my existing motherboard. Its minor but should give me that slight boost I'm after. Hearing your builds are encouraging.

@majoria70 - I'm still not going intel :)

9. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I am running two AMD R9's in "Crossfire" mode. I have posted in the past, and found that I can do it, but you have to tweak the Crimson Radeon settings. The problems I am hearing about Unity are for the GPU - I have had no problems playing this game since I started right before persistence with my CPU (and back when I had a different single AMD GPU).

Anyway, for posterity, and if it helps, here are my settings:

Anti-aliasing Mode - Use application settings
    Antia-alising Method - Multisampling
    Morphological Filtering - Off
    Anisotropic Filtering Mode - Use application settings
    Texturing Filtering Quality - High
    Surface Format Optimization - On
    Wait for Vertical Refresh - Off, unless application specifies
    OpenGL Triple Buffering - Off
    Shader Cache - Off
    Tessellation Mode - Use application settings
    AMD Crossfire Mode - Default mode
    Frame Pacing - Off
    Frame Rate Target Control - Disabled

Now, I had to spend time tweaking these, because I had them all turned up when I started but I kept getting this weird graphics glitch in the Overland and in Scenes with all the "silver" stuff (the mountains, the rocks, etc.). The only way I could describe it is that it looked like a strobe light was going off. I would have to ALT-TAB out and back in again to make it go away, but it would come back frequently. Very annoying.

So some of the above settings are probably not optimal, but I get no "strobe light" effect anymore.

TL;DR: A single AMD GPU is not a problem (except maybe if you mess with all the settings). A dual CrossFire AMD GPU setup works.

Finally, please note that you should turn of SHADOWS in SotA. Why? Because it is a resource hog all around. Yes, it looks real pretty, but logging into an actively decorated PoT (like my guilds) makes me want to personally torture the person that created Unity - so you have to figure out a way to lower the resource hogging, and turning off SHADOWS in any game is always a good way to increase your FPS. :)

10. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

lol thanks Magnus. I know that graphical glitch well. I'm going to try your settings and see how things run.

11. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

I am experiencing no real problems playing and creating video content on an AMD machine and also have just bought an intel laptop which I also capture and record on my AMD machine and I do not see much difference in performance or quality from my AMD or my intel machines. both have the Geforce 1060 graphics card, 16GB memory, AMD 6350 6 core, intel I7 7700HD 8 core, running on SD HD.

I have been assembling and repairing PC's for 25 years and my recommendations, if you are going to change anything in regards to this game, is your graphics card if on a PC. to a GeForce 1050 or higher

and for those of you who are unable to change just wait for the game to be polished a bit more. remember it is a game in development.

and do post your concerns about the game's performance or lack of as the feedback will help the team improve the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHaJtTffuLWz33z6OBtbhhA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.