An Invitation to the Reddit community for Shroud of the Avatar!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben_Hroth, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Ok, the post I made on /r/MMORPGs has become really, really toxic. This is not easy without backup.

Kain Darkmoor, hroth and craftymethod like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

that happens when Shroud of the Avatar is discussed in other gaming communities... even Chris Spears got mobbed in MMORPG.com... I love SOTA but I'm not very good in dealing with people who hate the game... there's a lot of good things happening and will happen in SOTA but they always find fault even with the good things... so, I try not to bother with them and I just play and enjoy the game... :)

3. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Thanks, that's an honest assessment. As players who enjoy the game, we are at a low leverage point. For some historical reason players *only* have established a presence on the official forums.

But people interested in joining us may not go to the official forums to learn about the game and community. In fact, I wouldn't either if I were new.

I am not here trying to recruit players to join Reddit to drown out the criticisms of the game, or to argue/fight detractors. There are valid criticisms of this game, the developers, the community... I don't think that's unusual. I just happen to have a lot of fun in the game, but I wouldn't judge someone who doesn't. That's doubly true as a moderator.

I am here because our sub-reddit isn't used to discuss playing the game. This is silly. It puts newcomers ill at ease, when they don't see anyone that actually plays the game on our subreddit.

Many of us, myself included, have no problems supporting the game on telethons with a $5 purchase. Creating a Reddit account and spending time contributing to discussions from the perspective of playing the game, is worth much more if we can grow our player population, yet costs no money.

4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I did my best. But it's hard to stay positive with trolls that dedicated. Sad thing is, it's really just 3 or 4 individuals who are so committed to spreading their unpleasant nature that they magically appear at even the briefest mention of SotA. Wouldn't even be surprised if it's just one guy on multiple accounts lol.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The best we can do is participate on the forums and subreddit amongst ourselves. If anyone starts any topics over on the sub, you'll have my sword lady and gents.

hroth likes this.
  6. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

And my axe.

(I've always wanted to say that!)

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The worst couple were banned long ago. And there are now mods on both side of the aisle who are working hard to keeping the trolling and personal attacks out of the subreddit. So there will never be a better time to go there and be part of the discussion.

Numa, hroth and DJ Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

And mine :) It's time to put things right.

hroth likes this.
  9. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Love LOTR. Where are the Dwarves in Novia?

One thing I saw today was a question from @Kabalyero about downvotes for a post. Not getting into the particular question, but one other misconception about Reddit are the votes.

Votes are:
    1. Nothing to fret about;
    2. Designed to be an indication of the post/comment quality (is it on-track to the subreddit/discussion, does it move the subreddit/discussion forward, is it spam), regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the poster;
    3. Regularly abused to be an indication of whether you agree or disagree with the poster; and
    4. Nothing to fret about (see #3).
    To give you an example, on the recent discussion of Episode 2 which had a lot of feedback from both players and non-players, I upvoted every single post in that. Even though I didn't agree with many posts, nothing there seemed irrelevant, or spam, or a rehash with regards to that post (although many views have been repeated in other posts).

It's part of Reddit's magic; you too can micro-moderate and contribute to every discussion, whether you have content or not!

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Too bad I don't remember my password nor have access to the email to get said account back online. I do love fighting with Rune on the interwebs but I will have to sit this one out on Reddit. *wipes a tear for the loss of easy trolling*
    Mocking people for not being able to move on is one of my favorite things to do here even though I latch on to Portalarium's "transgressions" like a pitbull I don't have the energy that some of those folks do. It's entertaining though.

hroth and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Anyway, all we really need to do is try and avoid obvious trolling. Supporters of this project are not going away. Regardless of the musings of the anti social. You guys noticed the strange things occurring in the sky?

hroth likes this.
  12. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Anyway, all we really need to do is try and avoid obvious trolling. Critics of this project are not going away. Regardless of the musings of the RMT whales.

hroth likes this.
  13. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Constructive criticism ≠ anti social behavior.

hroth likes this.
  14. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

I wish...

hroth likes this.
  15. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

In the twilight of the evening at the Eastern end of the hamlet, @3devious tied off her horse and walked into the tavern. Unlike the other pub next door, there appeared to be three gentleman checking the unruly guests in at the door.

As she passed by the gantry, a hand abruptly stopped her right at her chest. The hand belonged to the most disheveled of the three men, dressed in a simple merchant shirt which had embroidered in runic one word, "Ben", over the breast pocket.

"Apologies, m'lady, I'm going to have to have you check in your cape..." Raising her cape with a stick, he revealed the Torc'Dawl Basher concealed strapped to her back. "... and the obvious hammer of troll."

Ben nodded to the polished oak wooden placard on the wall behind the barkeep:

Trolls Are Welcome Next Door At /r/shroudoftheavatar_raw

---

Heh. More seriously, in my short three days as a subreddit moderator everyone, including @rune74, has been civil and my inbox hasn't been overflowing with reports of personal attacks and trolling.

One thing is that if you feel so inclined, Reddit provides! There is another subreddit that is all about an unfiltered approach to discussion.

(and thankfully, new prospective players would not typically make that their first stop.)

---

And, you can always create a new Reddit account, @3devious, we'd love your wry wit at one or both of those subreddits. Don't let a little necro account get in your way! ;)

16. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I don't conceal the weapons that have so much of my blood on them. I have the matching slicer too. Thank you for RPing with me. Unfortunately Rune can't come here and fight with me. This game is obviously doing something right if it can pee in a Canadian's cornflakes so badly that they hate you forever, SotA has the potential to be a bigger troll than I am! I look forward to recovering my account. I'll make a few more attempts to recover my original reddit account (I'm sentimental that way.) I looked at Raw and I couldn't enjoy it because they kept confusing Firelotus, Fireangel and Amberraine in their flaming. I am all for flaming but if you are breaking out the slicer and basher you shouldn't use them on innocent bystanders. Dilly Dilly! See you soon bouncer man!

Ahuaeynjgkxs and hroth like this.
  17. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I'll be waiting.

PS: ;) Where's my RP response?!

3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I see this sentiment sometime, @Blackghost and don't quite understand - referencing @DJ Alleine Dragonfyre 's post that you are replying to:

1. Do you think an issue is that there are more non-playing subscribers on the subreddit than all of Shroud's players?

2. Or do you think it's not likely for this particular community of players to start joining the subreddit to let the world know about more players' point of view?

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

My question is a legitimate one about moderation and safe space in SoTAs official Reddit.

/r/MMORPG is definitely a neutral place. It covers all MMOs and all opinions of them. This person gave his opinion of SoTA in my thread on that subReddit. My question is should he be allowed, knowing he's posted so negatively other places, to continue to be a member of the official Shroud Reddit community?

craftymethod and hroth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.