An Invitation to the Reddit community for Shroud of the Avatar!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben_Hroth, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Below are the traffic statistics for r/shroudoftheavatar. Each graph represents one of the following over the interval specified.
    • Pageviews - All views our subreddit receives
    • Uniques - Unique logged-in and logged-out users who viewed our subreddit
    • Subscriptions - Subscriptions to our subreddit
    Pageviews and uniques include activity on the desktop site, the mobile website shown to users on phones and tablets, and the official iOS and Android apps. We currently do not count pageviews and uniques from 3rd party clients.

All times are in UTC.

[​IMG]

From a moderator perspective, it's been a successful week with several interesting discussions [https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/top/?sort=top&t=week]:

At this point there has only been one (1) new player added to the subreddit discussion. Hopefully as the 7-day timer comes off this week we'll see more players on our subreddit as I saw at least three redditors new to our game start to ask questions with only 44 days until launch!

2. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

One more datapoint for those players reluctant to strap on Virtue Flame Armor and come enjoy the lava pits of our subreddit.

According to steamcharts.com, the last 30 days there have been on average 142 players on the Steam platform (this does not count folks who play with the Portalarium installer outside of Steam).

In that same time there are over 200 unique redditors interested in Shroud of the Avatar looking daily at our subreddit, according to the last graph I posted.

Personally, I believe it's the number one place fresh people are going to find out information on this game, much more than the Steam Community comments.

Come join us, the lava is nice and warm!

Cheers,

Ben

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  3. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

34 DAYS TO GO UNTIL LAUNCH

Update on the Traffic Stats:

[​IMG]

Good: Subscriptions are up, Unique Pageviews are up.

At one point last week we reached over 300 unique redditors, double the Steam average of 142 of players.

Not-Necessarily-Good: Most of the new subredditors posting so far have been folks who do not appear to have played the game. I do not recall seeing any players who have newly joined the subreddit since the last update. Active discussion topics are thus appropriately reflective of the ratio of players to non-players on the subreddit.

Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Played the game "recently" or "ever"? One of the purposes for the subreddit is a source of information for potential players and other tire kickers. Having tire kickers post is a good thing. Or was that a euphemism for positive vs negative posts?

5. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Played with relevance to the current release R50 or on QA R51. The game has been evolving quickly, moreso in the last few releases. As stated at the original post, having tire kickers able to post in a safe, critical, unbiased environment for view by players, potential players, and non-players is a core reason for the subreddit's existence, which is beyond a "good thing".

Regarding any euphemisms: I don't view posts as negative or positive (unless they are unsafe posts or spam), but I think all three members of the moderation team welcome negative and positive views on the game.

It's kinda how the internet works, outside of the walls built here.

Mykll, Spoon and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

26 DAYS UNTIL LAUNCH

Traffic Update on Shroud of the Avatar's Reddit

[​IMG]

Definitely an uptick in interest as we went through the R51 release and march towards the release of Shroud of the Avatar. I can safely say that from February 1 when I started this post there are at least two or three new subscribers to the subreddit who appear to play the game.

For those who have not yet made it to Reddit yet, here's a snapshot of this week's discussions:

[​IMG]

Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

19 DAYS UNTIL LAUNCH

A traffic update showing what we are seeing on Reddit; more folks wandering in and posting about the game, curious about trying it out in Free Play or having technical or gameplay questions.

[​IMG]

The number of daily unique visitors are peaking around 300 this last week.

I've also seen a few older posters return briefly to the subreddit which is nice to see.

For those who have not yet made it to Reddit yet, here's a snapshot of this week's discussions:

[​IMG]

8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Nope, I'm the only one of us 3 that posts in raw. Not sure why that matters though.

If you feel a post or comment breaks the rules of the sub, please hit the report button.

If you just disagree with someone, well, that doesn't make them a troll. I encourage you to participate in the discussion and debate the ideas instead of attacking the people.

Hope to see you there!

Bow Vale, Deadly Habit, Numa and 3 others like this.
  9. Corv

Corv Avatar

Sure looks like a fun place to be, where the creator of _raw can troll just like on his own reddit. Way too much drama. Sorry but I stay faaaaar away from both reddits. Just looked now again because this popped up here and I regret it already (see screenshot below). I get that you don't want to moderate it too much, but letting trolls reign there too when they have their own reddit. Not a place for me.

[​IMG]

Kain Darkmoor and Greyfon like this.
  10. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I agree, I really wanted to give it a fair shot but it's just a mess. I don't have that kind of energy to spare.

Greyfon and Corv like this.
  11. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Totally fine :)

Reddit is not for everyone. Those who feel that different opinions are trolling are better off sticking with these forums.

People who like a variety of discussion and opinions are always welcome!

Mykll, Deadly Habit, hroth and 3 others like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You know better then that lol. There is no having discussions (aka. Raw) with people who are social engineers with multi-year (without even playing the game) vendettas again the game.

On the flip side, the normal site that being show here has improved a lot. But yes, the RAW people still troll it as much as they troll this site to instigate issues.

Corv and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I like a variety of opinions and open discussion. In fact I wish we could find more of that here. What I don't like is "trolls", people who are saying things just to get a reaction, repeating the same misleading statements over and over again in every single thread. It just gets old after a while. Maybe reddit isn't so bad anymore, maybe it is. But I am not going to keep checking back in to find out.

14. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Whew! Let's take a step back to pull the thread back on course.

What was one of the top challenges for the developers at Launch? They just answered that question:

[​IMG]

Public perception is something discovered and fostered in:
    1. Comments under the articles about the game,
    2. Steam community, and
    3. Reddit.
    Out of all these venues, I strongly feel Reddit with its 542 million member base is one of the top places new potential players go to feed their public perception of the game.

A. If you are a strong supporter of the game, I would suggest:
    1. Not labeling someone who doesn't currently believe in the game as a 'troll', nor trying to 'convince them' the game is good, nor engaging with them at all. As I posted before in this thread, Reddit's tree structure allows a fundamental mechanic to sidestep comments you don't necessarily agree with, and that's not the downvote button: it's ignoring their comment.

This isn't high school, and my experience is that some of the issues with the game are dealbreakers for some players and not dealbreakers for others.

2. Joining our subreddit and at least upvoting threads that are of interest to players of the game.

3. If you are interested in critical discussion and/or do not mind ignoring detractors, by all means post and add comments to the subreddit. Otherwise, limit your participation to the upvoting.

B. On the other hand if you are critical of the game, I would likewise suggest joining our subreddit and at least upvoting threads that you feel are of interest to people critical of the game, and posting or commenting in a respectful manner.

In either case, leave the emotional flame war and try not to take things personally. That's what Preachyr, Freeman, and I do - our role is to moderate when non-players target players or players target non-players with personal attacks.

I put it this way: My grandma (if she were still on Earth) would not like this game, no matter how much I described it to her. Different age, different era, she wouldn't get it. She was also cranky. Does that mean I would flame her in discussing the game? No. I'd be respectful to my grandma (sometimes ignore her when she's cranky) but I'd get on with posting stuff I love about Shroud of the Avatar on the subreddit and ignore her little niggles ("Ben, video games are a waste of time!" "Ben, you better take care of your kids first" ... sighs)

Mykll, Deadly Habit, Numa and 4 others like this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*cough cough*

First
    Hand kids iPad and bowl of edibles.

Second
    Fire up the PC

Mmmkay?

Mykll, MrBlight and hroth like this.
  16. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Sounds like a great idea. On what reddit account can I send you a modmail message?

Deadly Habit likes this.
  17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've deleted a bunch of posts to keep this on track to the OP. If your posts were removed, you have been moderated. Any further disruptions of this thread with arguing about trolls and other problems on reddit will result in a suspension of your account here. Keep this topic on track.

Thanks,
    Berek

Addison, hroth and Sir Frank like this.
  18. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I'm surprised that message isn't going to my inbox. lol

Apologies Jamma, many of them believe we are one and the same at the moment, as well as a couple newcomers.

Also, Did you guys figure out the issue with the discord link? The one I sent should have been the right one.

jammaplaya likes this.
  19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That's possible, and unfortunate when people are disrupting the thread and force a removal of it. If you have any further concerns, please PM me.

Thanks,
    Berek

hroth likes this.
  20. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

21. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Quick update,

[​IMG]

Lots of new folks on the Reddit - I've never seen us get to 800+ unique visitors before!

Come upvote and submit your entry to the contest!

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.