Animal Taming

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Matheryn, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

Love the ideas on this thread. A ranch house with an external area to practice ur taming skills and breeding would be sick. Not sure if it was said in the housing area of the forum but i would love to come by a town and simply by looking at the houses i could say .....- well here is a blacksmith vendor, there is a butcher and there is a tamer house.
    Hate the "click on all vendors" of the house to see what is there for sale.

NirAntae likes this.
  2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Loved Taming in Uo, Perma pet deah is ok with me , If your not as limitied to the amount of pets. Rezing and bonded pets came as a back pedal for reducing the controlables a player could have .
    Taming was a large grind at some points but it was IMO due to the other tamers and the need for X animal at X skill ..... IE Bulls tough Skill zone , not as large a population as most of the other tamables. I think this could be helped if the the chance to skill range was higher.

A farm could be a great idea if the animals generated something of use or value to sell.. Perhaps items could be of better value "organic leather" for better armor , Food,cloth,......... I think i could ramble on and on .. regardless Taming to me has the most outside the box posibilities that could still adhear to Mid evilness of SoA.

3. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Dead Man Stalking... now there's a tamer (you can't tell in the movie but he spent 18 months injecting himself and his dog, inducing convulsions and blackouts, only to find out the body doesn't actually build any resistance to that venom).

4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

It's things like this that make UO fun to play. You never knew what to expect when logging on.
    I'd love to see more of this but I doubt the PVE crowd would like something like this to happen.
    And with instances could something like this even happen?

5. SirBoss

SirBoss Avatar

I tammed a bunch of dragons 100+ and released them all in Fel at the bank. got my account banned, 2 months later 5 pet limit. lol they had to retro the server 24 hours, every one lost all there items. was worth loosing my account but lost a GM tamer. so i bought an account from Markeedragon, with a gm tamer for $200.

6. SirBoss

SirBoss Avatar

Maxing out taming should be very very hard lots of work on tamers part to So call GM the tamer. it took me 6 months to gm my tamer in the early days of uo. But a farm would be a good start for getting skill in taming.

7. Knasers

Knasers Avatar

I really like the idea of creation. In UO the pets have skills and stats. Lets look at a mare. I think it would be cool if you could:

Have a horse need to be broken more often if not used. I.e. if you have a horse in the stable for a month, it will not like being riden and may take some coxing but it is still yours and it still recognizes you. If you are a pk and you have a horse that you have riden for the last 4 days, you may be able to mount immediatly if you get knocked off. If you are a pk and someone just killed your last horse, it may take 5 seconds to remount or maybe your horse will run off screen or something.

Breed mares based on stats alone. If you had 2 perfect mares, you would not necessarily get a perfect baby mare but the chance of it are higher than finding it in the wild. Additionally, as the mare grows older (lets say over a period of 3 real life days, the parents can train it (only to a proportion of the parents skills). If the mare was created with some form of artificial insemination, only one parent will train it and it will not be as strong.

Breeding animals can happen on a farm, in a barn, or in a house. If you were to breed you animals on a farm, people could kill you animals but they would get the most of the world. If you were to breed your animals in a house, it would be more safe but it wouldn't know fire based spells (for instance). If you were to breed your animal in a barn (at a town that maybe specializes in being able to raise a mare) it would not move around much and would not have that initial boost in skills.

Additionally, I think it would be cool if there was a whole new class dedicated to raising animals/crops. A Geneticist. He would have special skills that help with finding better 'seed' that can produce better offspring. Maybe also have another skill that will help keep the mounts more "full" of food so it isn't required to feed them every hour or something.

Edit: Geneticist/farmer is another skill set I would like to see.
    Also maybe there would be a boost for the mares that are related. Mom mare can do 5 extra damage when baby mare is below 15% hp or brothers would fight with a 1% damage increase type thing.

Also, the dismounting of a pk would be a good way for us to introduce pvp. A pk would need to be really good in order to not be hindered much by being dismounted so your run of the mill player can dismount them and run off screen and hide.

TigerKhan likes this.
  8. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I'm looking forward to animal taming.... one of the fun aspects of UO

Muska Killz and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  9. Muska Killz

Muska Killz Avatar

+1....those days with tons of animals on a ship.....(L):rolleyes:

10. davidl9566

davidl9566 Avatar

I completely disagree about not being able to tame dragons. While yes they are majestic and powerful that is what made it one of my favorite things to do. I think maybe making them extremely hard to tame would be acceptable. That would also make them invaluable and rare which is also gives the players able to do it a sense of accomplishment. It already did in uo but not as much because everyone had one. Taming is a 100% must for the game though, and I feel like if it isn't broke don't fix it it worked wonderfully in UO.

derek6665 likes this.
  11. Avatar the Avatar

a lot of games have animal taming including final fantasy tactics:p(dare I say) Torchlight, and Fable;) but how about farm animals to use on a farm. I agree an animal compainion would be nice and should go with you on quests like a wolf or a tiger or something but rasing farm animals would be a challenge at home. In Ultima 6 you could milk cows and make cheese and whatnot, but raising a herd of them is much harder. Giving your poorer country lot more appeal.

12. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

lmao!

Reminds me of the time people would aggro 10 lich lords, open a moongate to Covetous and stand on the other side so that the lich lords would all gate into the dungeon.

People owned me several times doing that but for some reason it never got old and was hilarious.

Taming was great, will be glad to see any form of it in SotA

13. Walktall

Walktall Avatar

Those are some of my favorite memories of UO. Also taming nightmares!

jonathancw likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I am not an animal tamer myself, but i am somewhat familiar with it because alot of friend i had were tamers in UO, UO system is nice but......

I think if you dont feed your pet it gets hungry or is not taken care of, thats the point it should leave you, apparently at that point, the animal is hungry and feels neglected by you, if its a meat eating pet, then YOU should be the first thing on its menu! It should attack and try to eat you, it has two different MOs
    1.) its hungry and YOUR the closest thing to a meal for it!
    2.) its mad at YOU for enslaving it to do your will! Paybacks are coming!

After those two things happen then it should wander off into wilderness, and based on how it was treated it should react accordingly to humans until otherwise shown different.

Also if taming and it doesnt like you, it should be complicated! and should attack you since your trying to take its freedom away! and if its a pack animal the pack should be with it and helping it not to get tamed whether attacking or disturbing your concentration. example: Wolves travel in packs its how they survive, so let there be a pack around trying to attack you the tamer while your trying to tame, most animals that are wild dont want to be handeled, by humans they either run or attack, lets keep taming real!

that my take on it.

15. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

All I know is I cant wait for this skill... or the game for that matter

16. Knosu

Knosu Avatar

I agree I want a sider

17. Knosu

Knosu Avatar

spider

18. Margard

Margard Avatar

19. Aciel

Aciel Avatar

Back in time in uo I played mainly a tamer/bard type character. would love to see skill here, ontop of all the great things you guys suggested. I would hate para death again maybe make a way to bring pets back would be to buy some type of player made item, maybe a type of contract from a scribe or maybe some type of potion from a alcymist.

20. aevans

aevans Avatar

I'd rather you just buy more high quality taming collars in game from my player character. :D

Though I guess we need to know if a taming collar is a one-use item to tame a creature, or if it becomes a way to call (and call again) the tamed pet after it has been tamed. Some of the Add-On store items seemed to let you call a pet every so often and it was already tamed for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.