Animal Taming

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Matheryn, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Catching and taming a horse would be great, but there is no horseback riding in SotA... But it still would be great. Just like in this video:

Oh and milking a cow would be cool, too :)

And what's this in the end of the video? A 3D overland map with lush forests that feels like a living world? And there is also a conversation system with a proper interface....? ;)

mikeaw1101, majoria70 and Margard like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Crafting seems active with mini-games. The environment seems to be fairly interactive. Great graphics. The character creator in that game is absolutely insane.

3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

There is no horseback riding *yet.* The First Responder reward level clearly implies (through the description for the Coconut Horse) that mounts are out of the scope for Episode 1. I'm wagering it's a pretty safe bet that someday, we will be able to ride horses.

brahmin, Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  4. aevans

aevans Avatar

Does anyone know the crafting recipe for the Taming Collar(s) yet? I tried to do a quick search for them but didn't see them. I kinda want to try them out on the watchers.

5. Tommyguns

Tommyguns Avatar

I really hope they keep Taming as close to UO as possible, i really liked that system.

chuck5086, Ironwing and Mata like this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

they are not in the game yet.

7. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Avatar

I'm a veteran tamer from UO and making GM was a mammoth undertaking that took hundreds of hours; now I'm unsure if I could ever devote that amount of time to anything ever again in a computer game. But the end prize in UO was immense; hunting with a couple of Dragons or a White Wyrm in tow was seriously OP. At one time these beasts would actually loot mobs for you so you could leave them for half an hour in an Orc camp, go back for them and ask them to drop the loot they had looted from the hundreds of Orc's they had killed while you were eating dinner.

Allowing players to have high end creatures as pets causes a serious balance problem in game, and if they make taming as easy to progress as any other skill most (all?) players will get it.

By default, if there are no high end pets to attain taming becomes sort of pointless. Now I appreciate that the players who love 'fluff' will settle for having a pet bunny rabbit following them around but IMO all that achieves is unnecessary server lag.

For many years the most sought after pet in UO was a hybrid-horse-dragon called a Nightmare. Because of spawning rules (only one nightmare could be on a shard and in one part of the map world) The first player who got one immediately stabled it in that part of the map and thus blocked the spawn for the rest of the player base; obviously for a very large fee he would enable a spawn by removing his pet to another stable. This is how clever computer game players are! if it can be manipulated it will be.

chuck5086, Ironwing and Soleidad like this.
  8. Kismet

Kismet Avatar

Great Topic.

One of the first things I did in Lineage 1 was taming. I spent hours taming dogs and leveling them. Loved it! I got so good at it I started taming pets and giving them to new players. As you can imagine I made many friends, and started friendships that have lasted for over 12 years later. Throughout the years I played Lin 1 this was a fun thing to do. Your pet leveled and went on the journey with you.

Some suggestions on pet taming:
    1) Tame Function: Only works on certain types of animals, Dogs, Bears, Eagles, etc.
    2) Animal/Pet gain level as you do: with own XP bar. (Not tied to your XP)
    3) Name Pet
    4) Pet Stats: Adjust pet stats or has stats based on type of pet (Bear = More tanky, Dogs = More DPS, etc...)
    5) Horse is a Pet: A horse should also fall into the "Pet" range. With the ability to level your horse and give it a name. A good example is the higher level the horse it gets a small bonus on run speed. Eventually building up into the max range of speed gain.
    6) Pets are tradable: This was a big market in Lineage 1, to level pets and sell the high level ones for big $$.
    7) Easy swapping of Pets: Much like the GuildWars 2 System. Select pet, Summon pet. Swap between pets in combat.
    8) Everyone should be able to use pets: not just a certain type of Skill combo line (I'd say class here but, from what I read & watched their will be no "Classes")
    9) Guild pet tamer: We had a member assigned to taming and helping members get pets to help them survive while leveling. Maybe add guild functionality for this.
    10) Pet feeding: In lineage 1 you had to feed your pet or it ran off. (i've lost a few that way, might be something interesting to add. You felt a real sense of loss when your high level pet ran off.)
    11) Higher level pets: Pets could actually be higher level then your character since they can be traded.
    12) Pet/Horse Kennel: In house/Guild House to show & display your pets.
    13) Pet Armor: Eventually Lineage 1 added pet armor as well. (I'd think that would be more a long term goal)
    14) Multi-Pet Riding: Not only a horse, but also a Bear, etc.. anything large enough to carry you.
    15) Multi-person Riding: Ability for several people to ride on horse or even my dream a Multi-Person "Cart/Wagon". This would allow people to ride together and get out of cart all at same time. Its fun group play. Think Gandalf and Frodo riding together in a cart across the shire.

Just for fun: Here is a photo of a few of my team members who are rarely without pets in those days.
    [​IMG]

Ravenwing and enderandrew like this.
  9. enderandrew

Those are some fine ideas @Kismet.

What I find interesting is that Taming doesn't fall into Crafting skills and yet Taming was a stretch goal we unlocked in the Kickstarter. We haven't heard anything on how it will be handled.

10. Net

Net Avatar

I managed to tame a wolf.

He even followed me to battle, but those nasty elfs killed him:(

Soleidad and enderandrew like this.
  11. enderandrew

How did you tame the wolf? I didn't think taming was in yet.

12. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

My personal #1 hope for a game feature to be included is animal breeding. One of the UO freeshards I was on had animal breeding, and you could create some really amazing pets after a few generations of selective breeding. It was amazing, I loved it. Only certain kinds of animals could be bred - wolves, horses, etc. - but after a few generations of perfecting the line, a fully trained pack of 5 of my wolves were better to hunt with than a single 5-slot dragon.

Abydos likes this.
  13. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

[​IMG]

NRaas likes this.
  14. Net

Net Avatar

Well, you just need good armor:)

Soleidad likes this.
  15. Radicast

Radicast Avatar

i just like the idea of taming in general the idea of haveing a dragon to fight for you is just amazing and very rare in MMOs

16. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

All the games I've played over the last 20 years, the best system I've seen is clearly that of MORTAL ONLINE. Their taming / domate system is fantastic.
    This is a huge positive in this game

17. fedwook

fedwook Avatar

What if the animals had different AI personalities. This could be incorporated in many ways like battle styles, willingness to be trained, loyalty, etc. likes daytime / night time better, performs better. A beast with night vision might not be as willing to fight durning the day when it can see as well, tired etc.

Can't wait to hear your ideas on this
    fedwook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.