Announcing SotACrafter.com!

Discussion in 'Guild & Town Hall' started by Lord Trenyc, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Hello Avatars!

For the past few weeks, I have been working hard to polish up a utility meant to benefit crafters in Shroud of the Avatar. I am pleased to announce, I am opening the beta form of this tool up for public use to help with your decoration efforts during the remainder of the pre-alpha releases!

Before diving into it, I want to give some shoutouts. SotACrafter would not be what it is now without the feedback and support of some key people. I owe some big thank yous to Fenyx4, Duke Violation, Lady Amber Raine, Knight Grant MacGregor, Lord Baldrith, and Mystic for helping test the site and offering feedback on what at some times was a not-at-all functional product. :)

I also want to thank the contributors to the Shroud of the Avatar Wiki for consolidating recipe information into a single place. Without all that data, this test environment would not have been possible!

What is SotA Crafter?

SotACrafter is a utility meant to break down the complexity of crafting a specific item in Shroud of the Avatar. Because crafting items often involves crafting ingredients for those items, it can be tedious planning what raw materials you need to gather to ultimately create your brand new Iron Plate Chestpiece or that bed you've been wanting for your house. Right now, SotACrafter is focused on showing you the relationship between crafted items, and it can help you figure out:
    • How to make any craftable item
    • How to make the ingredients for that item
    • How to make the ingredients for the ingredients of that item (and so on until the rabbit hole ends)
    • How many of what resources you need to complete the craft
    • What items you can make with the item you just crafted

What is it not?

It might seem to go without saying that SotACrafter can show you some of the same information that SotAWiki can show you. SotACrafter, however, is not meant to be a replacement for the SotAWiki Crafting section.
    • Data - SotACrafter is all about the relationships between items and recipes. It will not give you information about the items themselves, such as damage on weapons, armor on armor pieces, etc.
    • Pictures - SotACrafter doesn't use a single one. This is by design. As of now, I fully expect that it never will.
    • Scope - The core of SotACrafter started as a calculator. SotACrafter is not a codex. This has the potential to change in the future if some wishes come true, but for now, don't expect to see information like skill level requirements, where to buy or find recipes (if that feature is implemented in-game), etc.

How does it work?

When you first visit SotACrafter, you'll be presented with a super simple welcome screen. This tool is currently in beta, so expect that welcome message to be improved going forward. At the top of the screen, you'll find a few navigation tools you can use to search recipes. Those should be pretty straightforward. Once you've narrowed your search down to a single recipe, the magic starts to happen.
    • When viewing a single recipe, click ingredients to expand them into their own recipes.
    • Use the checkboxes next to the ingredients to completely exclude that ingredient from your shopping list (if, for example, you already have that item on hand).
    • If an ingredient's border gets wider and turns red, it means that you've expanded recipes for ingredients that can be made in more than one way, like with an Iron Bar. Because Iron Bars can be made with either Iron Ingots or Iron Ore, you need to close one of the recipes to prevent duplicates in your shopping cart.
    • When you've gotten your recipe set up the way you want, click the P button in the top left to create your shopping list. The shopping list will show you what items in the proper quantities you'll need to buy or harvest to follow your crafting plan to ultimately reach that final item.

What's next?

That's an excellent question! There's always room to grow, and the sky is the limit! In the short term, I plan to add support for a box to specify quantity, so your shopping list can automatically be multiplied by that number. I also plan to add functionality for saving recipe plans, so if you want to craft multiple items, you can tabulate all of those items on a single shopping list.

For the long term, I also plan to create a mobile-friendly version of the site. However, due to the sheer amount of information that needs to be presented for this tool to work, that will take some time to figure out.

Feedback

If you have any ideas for how to make SotACrafter better, please post them here or PM me. If you find a bug with the site or a missing / incorrect recipe, please do not post that here. Email those issues to support@sotacrafter.com.

For other things, you can reach me at trenyc@sotacrafter.com, by PM here on the forums, or as Trenyc Argall in-game.

Budner, Leos, Spoon and 36 others like this.
  2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Updates

3o June 2014
    • Made a change to the code structure that should make it easier to bookmark and share single recipes.

24 June 2014
    • SotAwiki and SotACrafter have joined forces! If you would like to contribute data to the crafting community at large, head on over to SotAwiki and update the Wiki! That information will find its way to SotACrafter eventually. Big thanks to Fenyx4 and the SotAwiki team for making this possible.
    • In addition to the changes described on 18 June, I have also figured out a way to implement a new view style using expandable treeviews instead of nested boxes. The ability to toggle between the two views has been added to the to-do list. It likely will not make it in until after registered accounts are enabled.
    • New recipes are coming with R7! Lots to do! Help us discover them by contributing to SotAwiki!

18 June 2014
    • Finished planning for features to come. These updates are mostly what you can expect over the next few months. Note none of these features are done yet. I will update as they get completed.
    • Terminology. The layout of an expanded recipe will be called a "Recipe Roadmap" and the shopping list will be called simply a "List".
    • A login system. Users will be able to register on the site and log in.
    • Saving and sharing Recipe Roadmaps. Registered and logged in users will be able to save a configured Recipe Roadmap for future retrieval. They will also be able to share a link directly to a preconfigured Recipe Roadmap.
    • Building a composite Shopping Cart out of the Shopping Lists for saved recipes. If you save a Recipe Roadmap, you will still be able to view its Shopping List individually, only when this feature is implemented, you'll also be able to access a Shopping Cart, a which combines calculations for all your saved Recipe Roadmaps.

11 June 2014
    • Restructured the database to better support recipes that produce several different items and products in quantities greater than one. Shopping list calculations should now be correct where they involve ingredients that are created in batches, like where crafting "Spool of Thread" outputs three spools each time. You should now also see quantities in the titles of recipes that output more than one unit when searching, like Spool of Thread (3).
    • The "Expand / Collapse All" button no longer expands unchecked ingredients.
    NOTE: I am not done vetting recipes yet, so some recipes will still not calculate correctly. The recipes for Wooden Timber and Wooden Board come to mind.​

10 June 2014
    • Beginning work on vetting recipes in-game. If you'd like to help with this process, please email me at trenyc@sotacrafter.com or with a whisper to Trenyc Argall in-game.
    9 June 2014
    • When a single result is returned from a text search, the P button now displays the shopping list as expected.

3. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

congrats, nice job! :) looking forward to your updates :) will be using this at the next game session for sure

4. smack

smack Avatar

Great start and certainly will become a great resource for crafters!

I actually started doing something similar on a spreadsheet but definitely not as nice or flexible as your website. Ultimately the spreadsheet I was working on was to be a raw resource calculator. That is, if I wanted to make 50 Guillotines, how many of each raw resource would I need? Well, I'd need 150 Wood Timber, 150 Wooden Board, 50 Iron Two-handed Axe Blade, and 50 Coil of Rope. But those are all craftable resources, so you'd have to recursively walk the recipe lists to add up all the raw resources. Using the calculator, ultimately I'd need 300 Chunk of Coal, 1000 Iron Ore, 750 Flax Fiber, 250 Wax, 300 Wood. I had the basic framework set up but haven't done all the data entry for every recipe yet. You could also specify quantities of any sub-ingredients so you don't gather or purchase more than you need.

Looking forward to seeing functionality like that on the site!

5. Bajan Grace

Bajan Grace Avatar

Like Grant said, it's truly amazing and exactly what's needed by many. It's such a great start that I can't wait to see what's next, and from here on out I will be using it anytime I need to craft. Nice job! :)

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Ya Lord Trenyc this system is very easy to use and well organized. Good work!

Lord Royou, Time Lord and Trenyc like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Great work. That's going to be really helpful. Thanks!

Lord Royou, Time Lord and Trenyc like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

All recipes work 100% of the time now, but It would be nice to know what the minimum skill to be able to craft that recipe after that info is released.

So if we look up a recipe we should know if we are able to have success with it or not too.

Lord Royou and Time Lord like this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Thank you for the suggestion! When I get to implementing the quantity box, I'll look into implementing text input fields on the shopping list, so you can manually input quantities you have on hand instead of relying on the checkboxes (since the checkboxes don't very well for stock on hand when you're crafting something like fifty of an item).

Lord Royou, Time Lord and smack like this.
  10. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Whether or not that information is included in SotACrafter will depend on how it is implemented in-game. If it's a simple "this much skill required" number, it won't be an issue, but if you have to have X number of skill points invested in the particular skill, that might be tricky. I'll do my best, though, to incorporate all information needed to craft an item.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm sure the Wiki will get info from players as to what skills can begin successfully crafting stuff.

However, you should pat yourself on the back for producing this. It is simple and to the point. Thanks again for making our lives a little easier. I book marked the site.

12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Yes, but I'm still on the fence as to whether it would be within the scope of this project to support searching by skill level. On the one hand I'm thinking it would be nice, but on the other hand I think that puts it more in the compendium / Wiki territory than a calculator. It depends on how things play out in some other discussions I'm having. ;)

Lord Royou and Time Lord like this.
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

While I like it, I'm hoping we get like a ten fold improvement on the UIs in the game. The only people looking for crafting information outside the game should be the non crafters. i.e. someone who wants a sword but doesn't know anything about swords.

Hazard and Time Lord like this.
  14. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

15. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I was honoured to be able to help see it grow from conception to where it is now and into the future. I know I am definitely going to use it. Well done Trenyc!

16. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Hey everybody, for certain recipes involving textiles and milling, the calculator part of the site is not correctly calculating ingredient requirements because some recipes produce more than one unit of their associated item. Yay for betas. :p Fixing this issue will take longer than this week because part of what I have to do is go through the game and vet as many recipes as I can. (I'd be happy to have help with this! The ingredients required for each recipe should be correct, so this is simply a matter of verifying what, exactly, each recipe outputs besides a single unit of its associated item.) Fortunately, the servers are open for me to do that!

Also fortunately, this is something I half-expected I'd have to do anyway. The alterations that I'll have to make to the site to accommodate this will be very good for the long term, in the sense that I should have designed it this way from the beginning and didn't because I wanted to get you this tool to use for the E3 reopening of the servers. I guess miscalculating ingredient requirements isn't such a big deal in this pre-alpha phases anyway since you can get most of the raw materials for free in Owl's Head anyway. :)

Lord Royou likes this.
  17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'd say include skill required and let us know when you're ready for a fansite link from the wiki.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the sounding board process and you've done a great job filling a gap here for crafters!

Lord Royou, Amberraine and Trenyc like this.
  18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I have resources... when I get to e3 I'll try to find internet and give you 1000 of each.

Lord Royou, smack and Trenyc like this.
  19. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That would be immensely helpful! Sure beats opening that stupid chest a hundred million times. :p

Thanks Violation!

20. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

just wow. Great work!

Lord Trenyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.