Any news on progress of Offline game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kara Brae, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I searched the forum for news on the offline game, but didn't find anything really recent.

Was anything said on yesterday's Telethon? (I fell asleep at my computer just before my house was shown :( )

I did hear a lot of talk about Episode 2, but I don't see how they can start working on Episode 2 when the Episode 1 offline version is not ready for release. A lot needs to be changed for the offline game to be able to stand on its own.

I believe that there is a huge market for an offline version of SotA, if only it would get the attention it deserves.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

I don't recall any mention of offline last night, the video is already up on YouTube though.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

I'm still catching up on the stream, but looks like someone transcribed it. The word "offline" is only mentioned 4 times and none of it was about anything new or fixed.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Doesn't the offline version just use the same exact as the online version?
    All the updates that are downloaded are also applied to the offline version right?

5. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

Yup. ;)

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

More or less. There are minor differences, for example you get more loot and harvested resources, row lot tax is only 100g, the Oracle gives you 1500g for passing her test every day, etc etc. You also can take companions with you. But these changes are not enough to make the game enjoyable as a single player game. You can‘t learn recipes from friends and you can‘t teleport to friends. So although you easily harvest loads of cotton, wood and ore, you can‘t easily acquire recipes to craft what you want to make. Other online things have just been left in, like lot ownership on the in-game map and chat window. It is obvious that only the barest minimum was done by getting the companions in, tweaking some loot and exp tables, etc. Passes and control points still exist, but make little sense in a single player game.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Are you sure ? I don't think so. The online people are the only people keeping the game going.

Since the offline content only takes a very limited amount of time to complete, I can't really believe it should be the focus atm.

That might not be what you want to hear, but....

Witcheypoo and Elwyn like this.
  8. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Offline game? What offline game?

Chatele, Nietzsche, Dantuin and 7 others like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The reason I believe that there would be a huge market for offline SotA is because there is a huge market for offline RPGs in general, for example all the Elder Scrolls offline titles, the Witcher series, etc. In addition, there is a huge market for creative mode titles, e.g. Minecraft and various city simulations.

SotA combines both with its powerful housing and decorating system and RPG adventuring aspects.

I believe that the reason that the online people are keeping the game going is because there currently is NO real offline version of the game. Oh, the devs call it "offline", but if I didn't know any better, I would think the offline version was a mere afterthought that they just spontaneously decided to add and just started working on. I am playing it and as an experienced SotA player who knows her way around, I am enjoying the few positive differences to the online game, but if I am honest, I wouldn't be able to recommend it to a new player in its current state.

I believe that the offline game could be very successful if the devs would leverage the housing and decoration aspects to appeal to the creative offline market. Currently it is more difficult to acquire housing and deco than it is in the online game.

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I asked this question for the telethon, but it wasn't answered...

11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I was going to write a longer reply, but after trying to talk about the offline mode for so many years, I just don't have the heart any more. Good for you Kara for trying.

Womby, Paladin Michael, Guppy and 8 others like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Imo I really don't think they should try to market the offline game. It deserves its very own attention to be deserving of the name tag "a Richard Garriott game". It has to be a tradeoff also imo with the small team and budget something has to give. There could be an announcement saying offline version delayed. Better to delay it than put out an interior product. Full attention should be on improving the experiences for both games. Imo nothing should have been marketed but crowdfunding sucks in so many ways. This game deserved a great big budget but it is what it is. Now onward to victory doing the best that can be done with our amazing world. It is a canvas to fill in many details.

Ataniiq and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

I'd like to know what the plans are for the Place Items Anywhere feature for offline mode. I want to litter the streets!

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They were talking a bit about it in the last livestream in the dungeon builder segment. They say they are still going to do it. The next aspect of it they say will be designated areas we can place items on the ground which stay for a temporary amount of time. For episode 2 we may see more and more. So here's hoping. I would love to see an ability to place unwanted or excess items on the ground at a meeting place like the bank of magincia in UO. It was a special place. I've thought while on the Novia map we need such a place to let players know others are out there and we are. I have a huge friends list so I do always know there's always someone there but place anywhere items would be great. Perhaps only some can be placed.

Sirius Sternwarte and Ataniiq like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

That's great, but those restrictions and limitations should not be implemented for offline mode.

Dantuin, Guppy and Sirius Sternwarte like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Kara Brae is right that there is a big market for offline RPGs. If online people are keeping the game going at the moment itsp pretty much only because they haven't given enough love to either offline or the solo experience, and the people who like offline RPGs feel abandoned.

Mind you, I think most people who would want to play offline would be okay playing online as a solo player, so the actually offline game matters a little less than the solo experience as a whole, both online and offline. I also think most people who play MMOs play solo most of the time, so the interests between the markets here align, and its a mistake to put too much focus of the game design on multiplayer-only features like social gameplay which IMO cater to a small market... although I think aspects of multiplayer, especially grouping and PvP, are important too; I just think the focus of the devs needs to be more balanced.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Look, I don't want to be *that* guy, but isn't it about time to focus ? We have a reduced staff, the game is in trouble, whether we like it or not, because it is not enough to sustain 30 people working on it, (The Witcher 3 probably had 30 people dedicated to ART alone...) and I just feel like, although this forum is for giving ideas and we should welcome that, I feel that sometimes people still have a mindset like we're in 2014 at the beginning of kickstarter and we can do anything. We can't bring this game to a level of solo, 1st player game quality like any of the games mentioned - I play them and I know how far that bar is from what SoTa is good at. SoTA needs to focus on making a living world sustainable, and I think their plans currently (player dungeons, new landmasses and hence new opportunites to own towns, etc) are good. Spending time trying to make the folks who thought this could be a viable single player game - which doesn't generate ongoing revenue really because the loot is totally diffferent...It just makes little sense to me.

When I play SoTa, I go on there becasue I enjoy seeing other real players and the possibility of playing with them, pvping them, all of that. Not a quest I beat within 3 months of playing only on the weekends. (Although I welcome more quest content !!)

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lord Trady of Blix

IMO the goals of getting a great multiplayer game and great solo or single player game are aligned in the end, and I think aligning them is what would make SotA stand out from the crowd more than anything, so I just think for their long term priorities and vision not to forget one in order to do the other, regardless of what the short term goals are (ie player dungeons, etc) and whether they favor multiplayer aspects.

So creating a living world, like you mentioned, is essential to the single player game, for instance; and all of the things meant to go into making the game "regional" as intended. As are a lot of aspects of RPG gameplay that would be great both for MP and SP. To have people who like solo games not feel left out, all the devs have to do is highlight things that are common ground between MP and SP and speak to their experience playing classic RPGs like Ultima.

19. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The following message is classified 'NBC' Non-Banworthy Content, 'NR' Non-Reportable & 'NF' Nobody's Fool

Im certain SP will remain as much a priority for Port as it has always been.

....................|

<-- forget it -- 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 -- high priority -->
    ....................|

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Koldar, Blackghost, Womby and 5 others like this.
  20. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

NAIL ON THE HEAD ^^ right there!
    Too many needs/wants. Its good to have ideas... but they need to focus on important stuff. It may not seem important to you (everyone), but it could be something that once done, allows other implementations. It's gonna take time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.