Anyone know of a good head set?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

What I mean by good is one that will last. I do not need some stupid little volume control/ mute button thing on the cord that just starts to short out, I dont need noise cancellation or anything thing like that. I just want a dam headset that is not built with planned obsolescence in mind and will last me years.

Sara Dreygon, Thwip and Rhiannon like this.
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Im using a Razer one, I used to have wireless (logitech) but decided on fixed this time due to audio quality issues. I forget how much it cost but its been about a year so far. Only slight issue is the cord getting a bit twisted up, other than that still works great.

Mortanius and Mac2 like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ill pay 80 if the dam thing lasts

4. Katu

Katu Avatar

I have Logitech g930 wireless. Third year going and no problems so far. Its costly, but worth it.

LoneStranger, Fister Magee and Mac2 like this.
  5. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I've heard nothing but great things about sennheisser headphones.

Hornpipe and Mac2 like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Plantronics Gamecom Pro 1

Unfortunately very old, but still in use while several other , not that cheap ones what break after a while or didnt connect anymore or whatever. I allways turned back to my really old Plantronics Gamecom Pro with DPS Unit. Cost me €99 10 years or more ago but was / is worth every single Cent.
    I had logitechs in the meanwhile and others and send them all back because they were bad or broke or had other like connection issues.

Edit: checked the release, 2005.
    Running for 12 nearly 13 years.
    Beat that.

Mac2 likes this.
  7. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I can recommend:
    as a plain headset, not fancy, just for voice, cheap but durable: Plantronics .Audio 478 DSP
    better audio, but I feel not that comfortable to wear for hours: Sennheiser PC 363D (there is a new model available)

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I just got a pair of Phillips SHP 9500's and they are great! Sound quality is really good and they are super-comfortable. They ear covers don't have that faux leather covering, but, rather, a cloth kind of covering. Anyway, I know you asked about headsets, but, you may want to consider getting a decent set of headphones and a seperate desktop mic. The headphones are under $80US on Amazon(prob as cheap as you'll find them) Then you just need a decent desktop mic.

Mac2 likes this.
  9. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I've been using a Sound Blaster Omega Tactic 3D for years now. I believe it released in August 2011. It is a wireless headphone with a mic and some other features (which I know you don't care about). It is also cross platform because I like to go from PC gaming to Console gaming.

If you look at the pictures the "dock" for the wireless is just a little box that connects via USB. It originally cost me $160 which I thought was alot, but seeing that it has lasted me more than 7 years with NO issues... I'd say its worth every penny.

FYI - not sure where you can find one, but if you could get your hands on one I would recommend it.

https://us.creative.com/p/gaming-headsets/sound-blaster-tactic3d-omega-wireless

Mac2 likes this.
  10. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I got a Creative Fatality for years now ..it's also very comfy. :)

Mac2 likes this.
  11. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

12. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Corsair Void Pro RGB. $80. Super comfy, nice interface, wireless

Mac2 likes this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

This is great, thank you all for the feedback, I will research these suggestions. I just cant seem to find a pair that will last me over 6 months, and I do treat them with care.

Timmy Vortex likes this.
  14. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I like Astro. I have the A40 and its amaze.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Since I'm always on the lookout for good headphones due to having issue with them fitting me properly, I eagerly read this thread when I saw it.

My issue with most headphones is that the head band part that rests on the head doesn't ever fit me good and so the ear cup parts always push against my head and pinch my ears. After an hour or so, I start feeling pain from the pinching.

So, of all those suggested, I am considering getting one of these because of the adjustable "ski goggle" headband. I think being able to adjust that top band will allow it to sit on my head instead of floating above my head.

Mac2 and Luca Xante like this.
  17. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

18. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

If you are craving audio fidelity, go with Sennheiser Game One, or P73D, or the Astro A40 or Astro A50, but the A50 has a less than stellar mic.
    If you are looking for a headset with a good microphone, first and foremost - and it HAS to be a gaming headset, the Sennheiser Game One or Astro A10. Cheap but well built, the latter.
    If you're playing for long stretches of time, find a headset that is comfortable to wear! The Sennheiser before mentioned is one I don't notice after a long time wearing them. Also, if you prefer comfort, try to pick an open vs a closed headset.

I'm currently using the Razer Kraken Chroma 7.1 in it's 3rd year, and it served well. Balanced audio/mic quality, but I still would recommend these other headsets over it.

Other things of note: Steelseries are well built, but have lacking customer support if you ever need it. Logitech headsets are quality products, good on average, but don't excel. Don't fall for "virtual surround" of any sort. It's phase shifting trickery, and if it works or not depends on you, not the headset so much. Typically, stereo will work splendidly, as most games have their own "behind" and "in front" simulation anyway. Also, most normal headphones have better audio fidelity for the price. If you are picky about it, go with something good, like a high-end model from Beyerdynamik, and just get a desk mic or a "mod-mic" like the Antlion, as well.

If you have ever wondered how that works, virtual surround, watch the virtual barbershop video on Youtube.

If it's gotta be cheap (in contrast), the HyperX Cloud ones are easily a good choice as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    StarLord and Mac2 like this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I love this community, you guys rock.

Thwip, Sorthious and moxiepilot like this.
  20. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The Phillips SHP 9500's cover my ears entirely, so no ear pinching. In addition, the cushions are "breathable", which reduces heat buildup, so you can wear them for longer periods of time without your ears hurting. The ear enclosures have angled adjustments that fit the contours of your head. And you can also, of course, adjust the headband. They have a frequency range of 6-35k Hz, very high fidelity, and 50mm Speaker Drivers. I bought these for music editing, but they work great for playing the game as well. There are definitely better headphones out there, but for the price, they are great. Oh, and the 3.5mm cable is detachable! So, if you develop a short in the cable, you can just get another one.

Here is a recent Best Headphones under $100 comparison list. There are also some gaming headsets included in this list. Hope that helps @Mac2

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.