Anyone play UO like this??

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Robby, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

Soooo..... How many of you out there were one of those players in UO that played the game mainly to do the non-combat stuff??
    How many of you didn't really care to build magery, magic resist, fighting skills, blacksmithy and all that? Perhaps you were someone who would raise hiding, or lockpicking and cartography for a bit but didnt really ever make it to 95+ skill. You basically just played the game for the sake of playing it, and didnt stress too much about being a top of the line fighter. mage or craftsman?
    For all you lockpickers.. did any of you get a bit obsessed with running around from town to town picking those pretty much worthless chests in the shops? Did you spend a lot of your free time gaming just wandering the towns to snag those petty items then sell them back to the shopkeeper? Once in awhile you even would come across useless items like iron wire, gold wire, copper wire, and dried herbs too. Though worthless, they fetched a good price in the player-run market. I just wished that the game could have catered to this playstyle a little better. I really dont know if there were many who did play the game this way. But Sometimes I wished that it was more popular.
    Fishing was also fun. I liked the idea of throwing a bunch of chairs down on a ship with other fisherman and just chatting about real life stuff all while picking up MIB after MIB.
    Other than these things, most of what I did in the game involved seeing all the things one could do to have fun with the game, other than crafting and fighting. I guess I was pretty much a "treasure hunter" but... no I didnt just buy acquire a bunch of maps and MIB's and pull out one after the other over and over again and stock up my vendor. I never really ran a vendor they were a pain in the neck! I would just keep my junk in a box. It made me wish I wasnt such a single player in an open world, cuz maybe I could have found someone willing to run a vendor for me and gimme a cut on the wares I supplied. I like grabbin stuff but I hate being a pack rat.
    So yea... outside of PvP did anyone else spend a good portion of their time doing random stuff like this? Just fishing, chatting, looting, seeing all the odd possibilities in the game? It never ends, you can still play UO this way even if you started UO way back in 97. The game changes so much that theres always new things to try out, and new loot appearing.
    Of course, this type of gameplay is perhaps how exploits are discovered. And I would recommend reporting them rather than benefitting from them. Never ran into any myself.

Mata, Noctiflora, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Much of what you brought up is the reason UO was to date my favorite game. it was more than just a tread mill that takes you along a path to the end of the line ...... Games after made me feel like a was playing a Glorified Board Game rather than playing in a virtual world .
    Some games would try but it was always a After thought ...... to late I ether moved on or was not into going back 100 spaces to experience something that was not even a challenge to me any longer due to my advancement in the game ..

The Uo Team of Yesteryear did many things right .

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Non-combat and social stuff in UO was the best in a MMO ever.

Mata, Noctiflora and Nhili Dragon like this.
  4. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Avatar

When I raised my smithing, I used to mine in the small mine just north of Trinsic in the quiet hours after midnight at weekends. I spent many a happy hour chatting at the anvil with a lad from Scotland and a girl from Luxemburg we all hit GM within a few hours of each other and it felt great.

Fishing, Cartography, Treasure hunting and Taming was my meat and drink. I never did have a pure mage, my connection prevented me from being competitive in pvp; and by the time I got 64k cable they had graduated to speed hack.

Mata likes this.
  5. Dean478

Dean478 Avatar

I had a dedicated carpenter/lumberjack. The entire point of that character was to harvest wood and then head to Britain and try selling the materials or crafting items for people to purchase.

strabo and Mata like this.
  6. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Avatar

I played UO for along time started out on Sonoma. I left Sonoma when a friend of mine told me I was playing a trammy shard and he had moved to Siege (PVP only one character shard), he said I would never make it on that shard! Well, did I show him a thing or two. That was the best time I have ever had in a game. I created Freya which was a Mage and was Queen of the guild named ICE (Iron Claw Empire). Lord Whiteeye was the guild Master and we started buying houses and placing them on Fire Island. We helped each member of the guild buy and place houses on that island. Silvermoon was Freya sister and she crafted for the guild and spent many hours mining, fishing, cooking for the guild. We had a vendor house that members could drop off unwanted stuff that Silvermoon smelted and remade into armour for the guild. We were a close family and others would come to Fire Island to PVP try to kill Silvermoon or Freya for bragging rights. The guild always pulled together as a team and would defend her honor! Since you could only have one character per account on that server to say the least, I ended up with 5 accounts. Pure Mage, Mage/Tamer, Crafter, Swordsman, and one to hold a house for the next one in line for a house.
    I feel this game is going to bring back some of those roleplaying memories of crafting for a guild and/or vendor house as I love to help others in the game. So you can say PVP is not my ideal character to play and crafting is what I do best.

Ravenwing, Gracekain and Mata like this.
  7. Robby

Robby Avatar

Interesting you played on SP but PvP is not your ideal character to play. This is how I tend to prefer to play. PvM, but in a world like SP. I don't abstain from PvP, I just don't generally do it. I tend to become a victim. Though I love making an escape with a ton of loot with my stealthing abilities! I was unable to get that feeling in trammel.

Silvermoon likes this.
  8. Robby

Robby Avatar

Interesting you played on SP but PvP is not your ideal character to play. This is how I tend to prefer to play. PvM, but in a world like SP. I don't abstain from PvP, I just don't generally do it. I tend to become a victim. Though I love making an escape with a ton of loot with my stealthing abilities! I was unable to get that feeling in trammel.

9. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

At least you had the ability to play that style of game in UO. You couldn't do that in Everquest.

10. Falstaff05

Falstaff05 Avatar

UO was the only game i really enjoyed just logging in and playing, and never really knowing what to expect.

I had a small house out in the middle of no-where. Was always getting lost players needed help finding there way back to town. we would talk a bit, then i would show them back toward a road. UO just had a different pace about it. No one seemed to be in a hurry like most mmo's today.

Mata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.