anyone see what has happened to UO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

They tried a couple of times - '3D' client soon after I joined up, and Kingdom Reborn which kind of morphed into the current 'enhanced' client. None of them particularly revolutionary but enough die hards protest loudly at any suggestion of losing the old 2D client that it'll never be dropped, and I doubt it'd be efficient to have 2 completely different systems accessing the same world in parallel (I don't know how different the EC is from 2D in technical terms but they share a lot of graphics at least)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

The 2d client doesn't need to change to be honest. People will be playing minecraft and ultima online 100 years from now.

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I am a crazy llama, but I liked more the old 3D client (that one that was pretty similar to the 2D client) that the new one. Especially if you have that rideable bug.

Anyway, ISO is mostly death. I hope SotA can have a long life.

Time Lord, PK U and monkeysmack like this.
  4. MasterThief

MasterThief Avatar

I sold my and my fathers uo accounts to pledge to SOTA and Star Citizen. Worked out nicely.

After 19 years in uo we ran out of things to do.

FrostII, Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

1997 UO looks 1 million times better than that garbage. How they made the look and progress of a game go backwards instead of forward is beyond me. I worked on a dead game once, dead games at major game publisher companies go in the 'do whatever you want' corner, this is clearly what has happened to UO. Game is obsolete but I admit playing freeshards for a few years a few years ago, the nostalgia is fun to see but not this, the gump art alone is hideous. The 3-d fusing is hideous. The modern 2-d is hideous. I made a recommendation on how EA could actually gain subs for that obsolete game but they aren't interested, the way they are running it, they are driving people to the freeshards but I quit all versions of it years ago.

6. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

2-d is nostalgic and some people only want nostalgia. With that being said it would be nice to see an updated version to modern graphics for UO from overview perspective.

Time Lord and Razimus like this.
  7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

What the hell they done to the backpacks and Gui, slots in a Uo backpack, seriously wtf ! and I presume from the hotbars that spells cant be placed anywhere anymore, odd way to go, the old 2d client looked better Imo.
    I last played about the time of the elf expansion, and that 2d client was pretty good, I betad the old 3d client and told em what was wrong with it and load of the bugs but they released it like the turkey it was , had some nice
    features but overall wasnt good.

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You were looking at the "updated" version, as I remember, it was called the "Kingdom Reborn" client.. I nearly gagged when I seen it, I was playing on a new 2d client which was abandoned, of course... So, I went back to the original 2d client as it was still active, but not being developed further... It was sad to see it wither away like it did...

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Insane to think I was 10 when I got the beta CD in the mail during summer break. Now 29, and there it is, with some pretty solid updates.

Thanks for the vid!

Time Lord and Blitz101 like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

After roving encounters get in im fully expecting novia to feel like ultima

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  11. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

Novia?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Xenophen

Xenophen Avatar

Such a fun game. I'm running a private shard right now trying to work out some bugs and what not.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

All of my best memories in online games are from ultima online and EvE online.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lacey

Lacey Avatar

wow... looking back even with the update I vote team sota for the win! uo was my gateway game... i played for years and years... I have to admit I miss the custom housing options and how easy it was to make unique looking deco with misc items...

Duke Olahorand, Time Lord and Budner like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Love or hate hmm... look how far we've come... *chuckles*

Time Lord likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

UO got my $$ every month for many, many years...

They HAD their chance with me, and now I've moved on to something that will replace it and I believe it will be many times better... Shroud of the Avatar.

The graphics there finally put me off, and there's no going back for me at least....

And that is at the cost of some good friends who've (so far) decided to stay for the duration....
    I have zero doubt that most will be here eventually.

Just sayin........ ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Chatele, Time Lord and Senash Kasigal like this.
  17. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Played, and loved, UO for over 18 years - but I seem to be unusual in that I didn't leave because the graphics were as they are (tried the new client many times, but never liked the 'feel' or appearance of it), what kept me there was the mostly brilliant community, the endless options for different things to do, openness to just about any playstyle I felt like taking up an any given time, and the sheer fun of it all

When I left, it was because the thing is so badly managed, the attitude of the developers to the players was frankly awful, nothing but lip service being paid to all the really good rules about behaviour and actions ( they said would have 'zero toleration' for the breaking of those rules yet they were NEVER enforced, always an excuse was found to do nothing, or the complaints ignored until people gave up - often with some truly badly programmed and ill considered 'content' being thrown out to aid in distracting attention from the real issues) - I had naively hoped Broadsword taking it over from EA would mark a change from all the mismanagement and incompetence, but they managed to keep all the bad in the system and then layer on extra levels of outright hypocrisy and arrogance.......

I'd love to go back, I miss the people (well, most of them ;), the community we had built, the openness of the game - but as long as it's in the hands of the current showrunners, hell will freeze over before I boost their egos and help pay their salaries only for them to treat people so shoddily and let down the players who deserve SO much more than the unprofessional and arrogant team who 'manage' the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And I agree with you completely.
    They ignored the exploits for all that time, and treated us like stupid cash cows until I couldn't stand it anymore...

It's a lost cause as far as I'm concerned.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i played (last time) UO using the 3D client (4 weeks...i think) and i can't understand why someone would play and make a video using the 2D isometric client... :O ... very slow... very boring...horrible images ... i loved UO.. but on 2016... please.... go ahead...

Time Lord likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Graphics are so overrated... I still play HoMM2-3, UFO enemy unknown, lemmings and other remarkable games that just got fan expansions and game corrections... Pizza Tycoon ? :p

Really I don't need fancy graphics, or fancy movies... like Batman vs Superman... when I see those I see a waste of money for a crowd that lacks imagination.

I still read books, yes, you read that right.

Imagine what a great game we'd have with more programmers and directors instead of fancy graphics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.