Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

AoE mages broken, mages OP

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Toadster, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Maybe I am missing something but the changes to combat and decay feel like an April fools day joke but, it is not April. I would think with changes like this there would be a few more notices out there and maybe a little discussion on what the community thinks.......

11K experience loss from first death in QA.....
    Wow, if I am lucky I get a few hours a night to play, and if I die I need to make up 11K or more of EXP in order to not have logging in be an overall negative on my player advancement. Wow... more grinding on easy mobs... to bad I have a job, a family, and a life so I can not dedicate enough time to advance in this game.... Great Idea.....But, I think the people with jobs, lives and family's actually do contribute and play the game... or use to....

Interrupt changes and running while casting???????
    Wow... What? Why? Who? Seems like spell specific interrupts are in affect. I can melee and can caste heals just fine, try to caste an air spell, and interrupt at least 70%. Thank you for having a non class system and letting me build my character the way I want just to kill it later without any communication or discussion. So if you want to be a melee mage do not pick air. And if Archers were not OP enough now they can run, attack, and heal without slowing down or being interrupted. Great Balance Idea.... Love it....

Please someone point me to where these changes are explained and the why behind them......

FrostII, Nhili Dragon, Budner and 2 others like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yeah decay has been discussed for quite a while now and is still not at full strength. It is meant to slow down the top end players from maxing everything but tends to just upset the casual players instead. I am a melee caster also and am doing ok with earth/water/life, but yes many instants now have casting times and last release spells had 0 interrupt chance (and now quite a high chance). There is still balance and tweaks going on with that so don't completely despair just yet.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am cool with it. I was adventuring yesterday and ran into an unexpected nest of spiders. When my ghost appears, I was like, "s**t, what did I lose?" Looking up and down my skills... I have to say that the entire experience was meaningful. Suddenly, I was not able to trivially game the game, the game became a game. Next time, I will watch for those darn spiders.

Obviously, I experienced this on a alt that was not pimped up by previous unbalanced game play.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol it's a little late to slow everyone down don't you think ;) I didn't pay attention to my xp since I just play the game. I have no GMs also since I don't care all that much. I tried combat in QA and did notice a little slow down in how long it took me to kill, but I just had to strategize more and work a little harder which I didn't mind. If I GM while playing fine, but I don't want the game to be at end game anyway. I do believe in challenges being given to us and perhaps they have to test out end game skill levels for the balance. Sometimes it makes me sorry I will miss the journey if they fix it, unless they reset us and make it a more fun and satisfying journey after we have tested it for them ;)

5. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

You mean a WIPE!!!

hmm I wonder what the DLMB team would call (rename lol) that?

6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I can understand slow progression to keep the game going. But all this seems counter intuitive to how the core system was built. And having a net negative day on a character does not fly well with casual players like me.

Have deminishing returns on skills to avoid a cap, then put in decay that caps players at different level based on how much playtime they have and how often they can spend mindless hours killing easy mobs. Rediculous.

Have an open skill system instead of forced classes then have certain trees interrupt to often to be used in melee situations. Why not just add a class system for an earth melee, melee healer and get it over with.

It's well past despair I am losing confidence in the direction they even intend to take this game when the core functions it was founded on are being overridden by redicoulous concepts to bring us back into line with everything they were trying to avoid. Is this one programmer choosing this or has the direction of the game as a whole really changed?

FrostII, Nhili Dragon, Budner and 3 others like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well hmm I am spacing. DLMB is that Don't let me break? or the Don't let me be the last to know team ;) and oooh you said the word, I'm telling, oops I did it first.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

To lose 11k (for 400 xp lose for every 1 mil XP putting into ADV skills) on the first kill that would mean you have roughly 27.5 mil XP so far. That doesn't casual to me unless there's a bug in the computation.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

yes at the .0004 old rate that was .0001 per hour up to a max of 4 hours. Seems like that changed now in order to bring the decay closer to a level that can CAP power gamers.

10. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I have spacing down to an art form...

Don't Lawyer Me Bro ;p

Black Tortoise and Tahru like this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Yowza!!

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And really this is just a drop in the bucket for a power gamer that has a few million XP stored in their pool. So again this is probably not at the level they intend it to be but it will stifle my progress in the game with the limited play time I have to put into it. Great concept.

lollie, FrostII and dp_dropout like this.
  13. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Ya I noticed in this release ( r35 ) that I was not getting interrupted much ( if at all ) and was wondering if it was working or if it was the new concentration skill that was OP. ( As I did level it up to 60 ).

As far as decay goes I think what could help casual users is if the oracle would give XP to users depending on play time per week... if a casual user visits the Oracle the Oracle Might grant the user a small quest in which a 10k to 50k adv xp will be given.
    A casual user could be measured by a few factors ( to eliminate exploit ) like

1: "Amount of hours online in a week"
    2: "How much Adv XP gained"?
    3: "The users present level"
    4: "Amount of XP lost to Death in a week".
    5: Etc...

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

I have not yet got significantly got interrupted during casting unless it's due to I'm moving myself. Several spells now allow casting while moving, so that make it even less likely to get hit. I think the new skill on Focus tree ("concentration" or whatever the new name is) play some good factor in interrupt reduction here, too.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yeah tranquility is at 40 and rising. Been turned up since it was released on R35. yes I can run and jump around and caste all my spells on the go, great concept for archers or pure mages. Completely killed any chance at a melee mags using air.

Black Tortoise and FrostII like this.
  16. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

I'm sure the idea that one can cast while moving is great, no lets say fantastic for a mage and possibly for an Archer. Getting hit is not part of that game plan.

This change (increased interruption when being hit) is terrible for melee fighters who fight close in and wear heavy armor because of it.

Most games do have penalties for either wearing heavy armor and casting or for attempting to cast in a melee fight. Those games do this to keep classes of fighters (Warriors, Mages, Archers etc.) separate.

We have been told since day 1 that we did not have to follow that course and we could develop a Melee Fighter with Mage (Casting Spells). Now we are being told we can still do that but it is totally useless to do so. If you are in Melee close in fighting and have trained also in the Air Skill tree then Discharge, Lightning and Chain Lightning, are now totally useless. Whenever you try to cast one of those spells, you will be interrupted between 75% - 100% of the time. That makes those three skills you spent hours and hours training, useless to you. You cannot waste your time casting spells that do no damage and expect to survive.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Hahahah...that's the funniest thing i have heard in months!

Play one...single damage, max of 150k an hr xp at high levels..no looting as no time...100k otherwise....in comparison to AOE mage build or even AOE melee who can rake in 2million xp an hour....

Hornpipe likes this.
  18. Silis

Silis Avatar

I don't think any of the 2 million xp an hour options remain for any solo build at all.

lollie likes this.
  19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Reminder, data on QA is a copy of live but a bit stale. That means that your characters on QA will have the max accumulated decay. So yes, 11k xps, what you get from killing like 3 or 4 creatures is what you lost as a max penalty.

I will be putting out my full list of the changes later today. It is quite extensive for a 3 week release.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Please let me know where I can get 11k xps killing 3 or 4 creatures because I've never even come CLOSE to that.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.