Apparently Polearms are bad. Blades or Bludgeon?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Sillyfish, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sillyfish

Sillyfish Avatar

I've been reading up, and all the information I can find points out that Polearms are simply inferior to Blades and Bludgeon in every way. A very informative post was made in September here https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/complete-review-of-polearm.99769/ and nothing I can find since has refuted that.

Can the community tell me which is considered superior out of Blades and Bludgeon? I read that Bludgeon is hitting 1400 damage sneak attacks, but that Blades have a much higher critical chance.

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

September? Combat maths and skills gave changed three or four times since then. Not saying it's wrong (I play ranged, so I don't know much about polearms or blades) but I believe polearms are good now.

Sara Dreygon and Luca Xante like this.
  3. Sillyfish

Sillyfish Avatar

I couldn't find anything in the Release notes except that Polearms got a passive that increases their damage when they crit.

4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Polearms are your basic crowd control class. Good for taking down multiple targets. Blades are amazing for single target takedowns, with majority critical chance and great damage, but hitting less targets. Bludgeon is apparently somewhere in between, and also good because it covers wands and staves, so it's a good choice for hybrids.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Maybe. But just because A didn't improve, doesn't mean that B, C, and D didn't get nerfed. But I do see lots of polearms users. I'm not trying to be contrary, just pointing out that things change a lot month to month, and a thread that's five months old has a good chance of containing outdated information.

6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

As far as damage goes, current pecking order of melee skills is:

Single target DPS: blade > polearm > bludgeon
    2-3 target Dps: blades > polearm > bludgeon
    3-4 target dps: polearm > blades > bludgeon

If you want the most dps in most situations, you should pick blades.

However, polearm and bludgeon have other abilities that are better suited for pvp than blades, like knocking down/stunning/rooting the target.

AFAIK bludgeon also scales the best with strength bonuses to its dps, but you have to have very high strength to make it viable.

Spinok and Sara Dreygon like this.
  7. Katu

Katu Avatar

Gm polearms and punctuary and near gm spinning attack.
    I feel polearms is at nice spot now. Punctuary gives dot always and spinning attack with spelialization. I hunt in places, where I have multiple mobs around me all the time and I can just melt through them.
    I like it.
    Negative sides include quite high weapon prices. Every vendor sells bows and swords, spears are harder to find.
    Also, I dont use push, pull or skewer ever, cos those skills are not that good in pvm.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or, you can pick up a bow, and choose to suck all the time.

Spoon likes this.
  9. Sillyfish

Sillyfish Avatar

R
    Sure, I can accept that. Except I can't find ANY information in the release notes.

If there were changes, wouldn't they be listed in the notes? Do the developers put in undocumented changes?

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not sure. But sometimes things get changed that aren't as direct as a a specific skill or tree, but still affect them.

11. Sillyfish

Sillyfish Avatar

Hmm yes, I see what you mean. Changes to monster resistance, armor, damage reduction, this would all impact weaponry. Hrmm.

Sara Dreygon and jammaplaya like this.
  12. Katu

Katu Avatar

Polearms is fine. Theres 100% exp back on unlearning until release. So test eveeything

Sara Dreygon and Luca Xante like this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If you really want to know what changes are being made to combat skills and the thoughts behind the changes, read Chris's blog: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/chris-daily-work-blog.85584/

He's the developer who does all the combat stuff.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Kara Brae likes this.
  15. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

They got nerfed pretty hard but are still a viable choice if you go for a STR build.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If something is superior then it's wrong!
    There's no balance anyway, play what you want.
    If the question aboutmost efficient can be answered you know whats been wrong.
    If it cannot be answered i tell you it's still imbalanced.

Jason of Pinewood likes this.
  17. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

To hit 3-4 targets with one attack, a two-handed weapon is needed. Just wanted to point that out as some people might not know that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Sillyfish likes this.
  18. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

First off Welcome back to the game. Secondly thank you for making this post requesting verification of the original post. There have been Many Changes to polearm since that post and i must say that polearm is in a fairly good place now. Polearm is king dps against high armor targets like mechanical npcs and dragons. The ability to ignore armor makes polearm very competitive. Polearm is really good at controlling the positioning of NPC's ... @Sara Dreygon Who is a good friend of mine appreciates hunting with me as i easily pull npc's into a pile where the superior raw dps of swords can seriously capitalize.

In regards to what you should do. It's all about your flavor. Personally i really appreciate the range of polearm. Though if it's just raw damage swords is king.

Dhanas, Antrax Artek and Sara Dreygon like this.
  19. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

The problem all melees have currently is lack of gap closers. There is only one working properly which is body slam, but due to the fact that mages have the best mobility, best healing AND best dps in PVP and PVE (if target isn't resistant) all combat schools are pretty mediocre in that regard.

20. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

This is not correct. There are 5 gap closers.... Shield charge which works just fine.... Engage which works amazingly well. Bodyslam like you mentioned. Nightstep which is slightly awkward to use due to the delay and finally Blink.

Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.