Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archer complaint

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Chatele, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

How am I suppose to fight with a few arrows, had a hard time doing sol bridge due to running out of arrows, and the dang arrows cost 2 GP each, so just for 100 arrows that's 200 GP, not counting what you need for skills .... that's not counting the other arrows you need .... you cannot auto-attack with out arrows, so i had a hard time .... DUH!!!!!!!!!! already ....

Sinclair, Athanil, Numa and 5 others like this.
  2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm just happy we GET arrows that early now. archery is tough as nails early on, but i hope they even that out so it is a viable option from the start.

4EverLost, Jivalax Azon and Chatele like this.
  3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Sighs. That is very disappointing news. Well, I guess it's back to using a sword again when I log on tonight with my new character :(

Jivalax Azon and Dorham Isycle like this.
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I can auto attack with arrows. In fact my avatar fires arrows like an automatic rifle. I dont even feel a need to use the styles lol.

Though archery isnt that great, I did not intend to be an archer (I know the intro questions need refined...). There better be some insane uber attack skill you get from archery later on, then again that sounds unbalanced for combat, so I dont know...

But yes, arrows should not be this expensive. And in fact, it shouldnt really cost anything relative to the sword+board setups. Regular arrows should be free/infinite/spawn-from-a-skill. Advanced arrows should be cheap, and created even more cheaply from a skill. Given my description of the bow auto-attack being so fast and doing so little damage, its rediculous that arrows should cost so much. Characters will go broke after a few fights.

For the last 3 releases, I only used the sword I spawed with, and a shield I found at solace bridge, the entire length of all three releases. It was a success, and I also diddnt need to repair that often. Therefore, its kind of unfair

In "real life," you would need to do some repairs to your sword every time you strike something with it (I am a swordsman in real life and own many swords). The maintenance of a fine, high-carbon steel sword is a skill in its own, and a discipline of its own. The more you use a sword, the more you must repair it. Therefore, if arrows are going to cost this much money, then sword/axe/etc fighters must be highly encouraged by the game system to repair their weapons after every combat. I dont like the sound of this either, so lets just make basic arrows free :-D

For now, I am just going to try out mace weapons, as I am not going to spend my experience with these releases going into debt over the cost of arrows ;)

5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

yea, I am so sorry i started out with archer, to expensive to play. But i am not starting over. I really thought by now they would have improved on archers, but, alas, it is not so. So not fun, have to run around and do deliveries for coin :( And I agree with Stratigos, regular arrows should be free.

Tyde, cartodude, Jivalax Azon and 2 others like this.
  6. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

This is sad news, I planned on playing an Archer but I agree, 2g for one arrow is insane. I really hope things in the game are better thought out before the game is finished.

7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Looking into this now.

monxter, Sinclair, Tyde and 9 others like this.
  8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Thank you Chris

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In the starting area on Solace Bridge in front of the practice dummy is a quiver with an extra 40 arrows.

The skeletons could be easily killed with auto attack only.

Then head back and auto attack the dummy to deplete the pool.

I had 100+ arrows and s few skill points leaving solace.
    But I think I will delete my avatar to try out the other scenes. Know this one too much.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If gold were abundant in game then charging 2gp per arrow would not be an issue. Considering that, as a new player, it may take a dozen or more arrows to kill one creature (skeleton for example) only to find maybe half the gold it costs for the arrows in the first place. This becomes a real problem, really fast.

Free arrows or arrows that are "magically" produced and always available but do less damage than real ones would be a solution. Like this at least we could still manage to earn some gold to purchase arrows.

Once we settle on the proper cost for arrows, then we have to look at how difficult it is to create let's say 100 arrows and what would be a fair price for the work involved vs the buyers need and willingness to spend. Maybe craft 10 arrows at a time instead of one.

11. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Hmmm did not see the quiver. When you run out of arrows, auto attack doesn't help, cause it won't work with out arrows. The arrows are way to costly.

12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

You know, arrows should really do minimal damage to a skeleton. Unless it hits a bone. But that is a different topic, sorry.

13. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Yep, same issues. I run out of arrows very soon. Now I have been gathering materials to get those arrows done by myself and guess what? My Blade skill Bladed Combat has raised during that higher than my ranged skill ranged skill. I was exited to learn something new and now I am frustrated...

14. Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast Avatar

So in R23 the extra 40 arrows are now available right after you talk to Evard for the first time?
    And I do agree about the price being too costly. Maybe increasing the amount you get per gold would for me be more feasible. 1 gold buys 10 arrows.
    Other than that I discovered non-auto attack option works quite well against the skeletons.

Baer and Jivalax Azon like this.
  15. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Price is more of a missing feature than a bug. Currently we don't have a good way to have a merchant sell you a stack of things so he sells you one. The price must be at least 1 but then there is a small, extra amount tacked on because <MYSTERY> and then it rounds it up to 2gp. Working on it. Starting everyone with more arrows for now though.

16. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Why not just sell an item called "a bundle of arrows" you can d-click to turn into a stack? Or that turns into a stack when entering a backpack.

Not sure what capabilities you have, but that might be a possible half-fix for now.

17. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Chose skeleton because it was the only thing I could think of that a new player has a chance of killing that actually gives gold.

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I would still rather use a quiver instead of arrows; same idea (repairing cost vs arrow cost), but on par with melee costs instead of exorbitant per arrow prices.

Chatele and Andaluz like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i fully agree with this. grandmasters could even imbue the quivers with some stats, and they could weigh a bit to compensate for the lack of arrows to count.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I started an archer on the QA server earlier in the week. Found the quiver and had plenty of arrows to complete the scene and make it to Soltown. Then buy more arrows. But that was with a lot of gold somehow given my starting character.

I agree the cost is much harder for brand new characters without anything. But with a new character now, I also see that shot arrows sticking in the ground can be found randomly now. Can those be fired in a bow? They are not stacking for me in inventory. Havent tried yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.