Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archer complaint

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Chatele, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammershtein

Hammershtein Avatar

simple fix would be in the blood river if you path is archery, then either you find parts to make a bow in the town, or you start in your inventory with the parts to craft 200 arrows. i for one think it should be part of the environment. Maybe those useless tools in the barn can be made to be usable and you can harvest trees and kill chickens to get feathers for first arrows. Heads is just a give me until you get to a crafting bench to make real ones. can make the dmg the lowest tir or just a step below it.

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

A person new to the game should not be asked to also know how to craft right off the bat, the opening scene should have tonnes of arrows, rusty swords, etc. from that battle. All of which can not be Salvaged or sold BUT player can learn to stand on their own wobbly feet.

Chatele, fantalio, Numa and 3 others like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

Because I am a masochist, I would like to start out as an Archer this time around :) Any tips on how I should answer Arabella ? (Anything but a sword this time around for the love of god).

4. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Wow, alot of entitlement here. You are put into a situation with what is available. Not with what you want to have at hand. I.E. work with what you can and not with what you want. You can pick up other skills soon enough. This is a null point in my opinion.

5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I answered Truth, got arcane magery. Picked up a sword & bow in opening scene. After this some time I opened skill window(before any fighting) & noticed I had a bit of skill in swords & ranged in the top basic skill, didn't check any other so I might have points in everything

Numa likes this.
  6. Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast Avatar

Path of Love = Ranger, so answer Love when possible.

7. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Yes answer with anything that has or sounds like LOVE :)

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

YES !!!! Thank You ! :)

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry but this is sad, stop using auto attack and wasting those arrows . . . You can use Skills and not use ONE arrow. True to get is started from scratch sure need to train basic but if you chose archery you have ALL the skills.

Devs, I know that some arrows could use a little more availability but do not just cave - make players PLAY this, learn how to use skills, loot, quests, etc.

As fo chosing paths here ; [​IMG]

10. Baer

Baer Avatar

I agree, for a starting character there has to be a way to replenish Ammo. The battles, even at the start are difficult enough. Dying often when still learning the game is very frustrating.

11. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Weins, unlike any other skill tree, ranged requires ammo to use the basic attack. That makes it really tough when it costs 200 gold for 100 arrows. The other skills in the tree still work without the ammo but with the focus cost and the damage reduction make it difficult to kill anything at the low levels. Until you can increase the passives in that tree to a level that reduces the ammo used and increases the damage to a point where it balances out going ranged is too hard compared to sword/board or arcane/magic.

I think a simple solution would be to allow ranged to use basic attack without ammo with a reduction in damage penalty.

Weins201 likes this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I see that point. However, try beginning the game as a fighter and having your sword break on the first blow, and none being available except to pay for it as a starting character with no gold. Or try starting as a mage where all spells require reagents out of the gate, but the right reagents needed are not available in the starting instance. Wanting to be able to use a sword or cast a spell is not entitlement. Its just practical game play. Same for archers who struggle with arrows. No difference. That someone comments on something that is just plain not fun sounds like good alpha testing feedback to me. Pause to consider that if a lot of people are unhappy about a game feature, maybe the game design for that feature is not that great. We're here in pre-alpha to provide that feedback.

Aldo, Chatele, Numa and 5 others like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

One gp per arrow is certainly a lot better than two gp per arrow.

Chatele and Andaluz like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The specials are now grayed-out when you run out of that particular ammo.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    4EverLost likes this.
  15. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Is there a cogent explanation somewhere as to why ranger = love?

16. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Actually, what you just said, I'd LOVE to try. My bow string snaps so I use the bow frame as a club. My sword breaks, I use the jagged piece left to gauge out my enemies eyes in a desperate attempt to survive. Our Avatars were brought there with nothing. Though I'd much prefer it to be actually nothing but a loin cloth. Right now, the questions answers give us way to much to start with IMHO.

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

cupid?

i'm more bothered that the term ranger seems to equal ranged weapons.

Heradite and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think you hit the nail on the head with that one - not fun. that is the factor that is missing on early-game archery. if it isn't fun, people won't play it.

that woudl be really neat, but it would require some redesign so it is has more of a survival-game feel to it, like ARK or something. at this stage in development, i think the devs may be able to incorporate something like that if they so desire. less mmo tropes, more survivalist tropes.. just like in that game i mentioned, ARK, you literally start with nothing. just don't make us poop!

4EverLost likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Got my Archer build first try with Arabella :) Happily discovered 56 arrows in my inventory with this patch. Startled to find 31 left after tangling with 3 skeletons on Solace bridge.

An Archer really needs a secondary melee weapon otherwise the costs pile up. Mine is a polearm which I think will be excellent in finishing an enemy off after hitting them with an arrow barrage.

For those without the 2handed Vanduul polearm at the start , I recommend using the round shield which you can pick up in the opening scene and a spear.

20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Messing around with the bow some more, I do think archery is more fun than it had been starting off with a 'love' aligned ranger. The extra starting points in ranged help it a fair bit. But that got me thinking. If I wanted to be a warrior with a bow, why take the courage route and then have to train up ranged, vs. taking love and starting with ranged. It saves a lot of gold on arrows avoiding those first training points ;-0

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.