Archer Question: Do i need to train strength?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sinclair, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Archer Question: Do i need to train strength? To be honest i am not quite certain....thought Dexterity is my primary attribute, but does more Strength means also more damage? Dex is only described for physical attack, does it include damage with arrows as an Archer? Is Dex only for dodge, hit and critical?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Yes! Absolutely for sure. ;)
    And INT too...

Time Lord and Sinclair like this.
  3. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I am an Archer and train very little Str or Int. The truth is each person creates a character the way they want.

I have a friend who leveled his Str and Dex. He is great for killing bears, but lower level archers with higher dex kick his butt. He knows it. He wants to kill bears.

You have only so much XP to spend on training skills. To my thinking every point of XP I spend in Int or Str is less i am spending in Dex.

So, there is not an easy answer. Each person will build a character a little differently. You must make choices, more in a few skills or less in a lot of skills. Not right or wrong, just different.

I leveled Str and Int to 40 because it is low XP cost. I never turn off Dex (well rarely i should say)

I hope this helps.

4. eli

eli Avatar

I wouldn't recommend taking the innate "Train [str,dex,int]" beyond 70 or at most 80.

These skills take 12M xp to get to 100, so due to exponential curves, going from 80 to 100 will give you +10 of the stat but cost you something like 8M xp. luckily for str there are also sun and earth tree skills to help you out at a much cheaper rate.

Time Lord and Minerva like this.
  5. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Because of the way skills require greater amounts of EXP at higher levels, at some point it is extremely more productive to put your EXP to lower level skills.

If you have your DEX at 80 it will require a very significant amount of EXP to raise it.

If your STR is at 40, it will require an insignificant amount of EXP to raise it compared to the amount it will take to raise the DEX resulting in a much much greater advantage to the player.

You will handicap yourself by raising skills disproportionately higher than your other skills.

Time Lord and Weins201 like this.
  6. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I agree l with what is being said, just remember IF you want the build an Archer Dex is your life blood. If you are a mix with Archer/Mage the Dex and Int. Only you know your goals. My friend had every archer telling him he did not need str but he designed a character to hunt bears. Archers 10 levela below him kick his butt, but he wants to hunt bears so he is happy. What do you want to do? What character do you want? Read the skills and build slowly. You can turn stuff off and build XP then turn a skill back on then you decide.

Have fun and don't stress too much. This is a game :) And always remember, there is no RIGHT and WRONG, there is choice. That is the fun of a classless system.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

it is EASY - YES train strength...... look at you paperdoll and see what each one does.

STR = DMG and carry capacity - CRITICAL for killing and survival
    DEX = Crit % and speed - nice to have as a BONUS to fighting but not the make or break value
    INT = Focus and Spell damage - #2 on the list

Now also stated no need to go crazy and get above 60 - 80 there is a sweet spot for skill balance of exp spent vs rewards for boosts

But almost any and ALL mele fighting temps
    #1 Str
    #2 Int
    #3 Dex

once you are well balanced then you can look at topping then out to cater to you personal preference and play style.

Then and only then might I consider Dex for movement and crits as an archer.

Sinclair and Time Lord like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Plan to take all 3 up to 80 and then the primary one for your build up from there as best you can based on your time that you can play. I just hit GM train str and it literally took me 9 months to do it with the skill turned up 100% of the time. My int is at 92 and dex at 85. These are some of the largest XP soakers there are however they are some of the most important. Add to this, you get +1 per 2 points in a linear way which is nice.

Boris Mondragon, Time Lord and Lexie like this.
  9. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

@Chris

yes train strength, sadly Dex does nothing for ranged damage.

Maybe everyone here can help me push for answers on why this basic rpg trope is not followed?

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Is the best advice in here.

claybwagner and Time Lord like this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Arrows are heavy.. very heavy.. if you want to be able to carry enough to not have to run somewhere to restock every 20 minutes and any loot you might find - definitely train strength and heavy lifter (in tactics).

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Dex gives Crit %, and crits are the best way to do damage as an archer.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Dex also helps with chance to hit I believe.

discipleofweb, Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  14. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Yeah several posts saying STR is good. But finally a post saying STR is good for carrying. What else is it good for? For archers? Why is STR required for bears? Well, or better for bear killing at least?

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

STR also gives health, bears smack you in the face a lot.

Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The skill that helps this is the Heavy Lifter, if all you are worried about is carry capacity

Again Str = Health AND base damage - it is the base skill you need to kill and survive.

ATM I am working to make LvL 70 (if you care about a reference point, as that is all it really is) my Str is like 60 my dex and Int is around 50 and I am working in the Tier 5 areas ALONE killing Obs Bears and Wolves in Deep Ravenswood, and in Ulfheim I take on the Brekken crew in the middle all but the one really hard on in the house.

Sooo . . . . .

Look at deveotionals to boost them and foods to help

As stated once you get there work them each up to 80 but I would worry about STR first then INT and then and only last Dex as a Mage archer that is what will make you time and effort worth it. Listen to a power gamer and grinder who boasts about 300k an hour all you want but for a normal player STR is key.

discipleofweb and Time Lord like this.
  17. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Ah ok thanks. I was thinking of archer kiting, not really getting hit, and wondered in that regard how it helped. But yeah if getting smacked... Makes sense. Thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

my man, what does a rapid shot crit for if each rapid shot hits for 7?
    please dont try and be dismissive of something thats actually an issu

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

In my experience, Rapid shot is a good skill for bring down big game. When you are with a party, as an archer you can typically move behind larger targets. Once behind them, your crit % goes up substantially, so instead of 7 damage, you are seeing 80% of the rapid fire arrows doing 20-25 damage. That's more than 200 damage reliably, which is an invitation for the dragon or troll or whatever to turn around and eat you face (from 20 yards away :rolleyes:).

Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  20. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

hi i am the bear hunter and i am happy with it dont know how many bears i kild but i am lvl 89 and moustly from bears wolfs scorpions

i do like skinning to is why i seldomly hunt stuff that i cant skinn i dont have an bear fetich i just like hunt them

i died to better chars both higher and lower lvl then me i dont mind i just do my thing

the game to me aint to be the best and i am not realy all that competative i do a duel or 2 for fun i die thats cool i win thats cool im just as happy

reasen i like str and the earth tree is carry wight hp and more hp normaly i got 140 str means i can go for 1,5 hour befor i am full with out use any potion i got like 705 carry with out potion works for me

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Mykll and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.