Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Archers: Do you actually use Multi Shot for something?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by helm, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helm

helm Avatar

Just curious, but also suspecting that the feedback forum might be just the right place for this question...

My unlocked default deck has the following archery related attack glyphs: Aimed Shot (5/5), Disabling Shot (5/5), Piercing Shot (3/5), Blindind Shot (4/5), Rapid fire (5/5), Multi Shot (0/4). None of my alternate decks have Multi Shot either.

I have tried to find an use for Multi Shot, but honestly haven't found any. I have tried not to hate it, even had it GM'd once, to make sure I'm not hating it just because the level is too low. No luck - I find the Multi Shot attack to be fundamentally incompatible with any useful combat strategy, inefficient, frankly just a major waste of glyph space.

So how about you? Does it have a place in your heart, or at least in your deck? If so, why and how?

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Now that you mention it: i don't use it. I actually never even tried it. Got to change that.

Time Lord, helm and Montaigne like this.
  3. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Aye, I tried it a while back and came to the same conclusions as you--I don't use it at all anymore.

4. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

I don't use it very much because it isn't very effective. I'd much rather they replace it with a volley or barrage skill. A skill where you shoot multiple arrows up in to the air and they do area of effect damage.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah, a classic. I like it. Good idea.

Montaigne, helm and Time Lord like this.
  6. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

No, Multi-Shot is useless :/

7. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Agree 100%, it's useless. I actually don't bother with either of the two top archery skills or the blinding shot, I just use the other three.

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Used it a couple of times, but my conclusion is the same: mostly useless.

EVENTUALLY I'd use it if:

1) Instead of always wasting eight arrows, it'd use the number of arrows actually matching the number of enemies present

2) It doesn't blindly target a cone, but (as above) only the enemies in range, all of them, in a 360' area centered on archer. I guess it's very hard with the new targeting system

3) Alternatively to 2), an AOE effect like suggested by Montaigne.

I'd hardly even learn it if it stays in its current form.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think itd be cool if it let you charge up 2 or 3 shots so you can fire them off at once for big alpha damage

helm and Time Lord like this.
  10. helm

helm Avatar

Regarding other attacks (esp. Blinding Shot and Rapid Fire) -
    • Rapid Fire is slow, but it is also the most devastating and reliable of ranged attacks; at 80-ish level a single Rapid Fire is virtually guaranteed to shave 100+-30 health off the enemy, or if the enemy is already below 100hp, kill almost without fail. Mobs with 200-300 hp (mostly just annoying, except archers can also be dangerous) can usually be conveniently eliminated with one double- or triple-stacked rapid fire, before ever knowing what hit them. Single melee mobs with 500-600 hp can usually be ended at a distance without moving, by leading with a fully charged free attack, followed by a stacked Rapid Fire and a Disabling shot (and continue from there with whatever you've got).
    • At level 80-ish, the half minute 26-point dexterity reduction from Blinding Shot is nothing to sneeze at, especially against enemy archers. It can also be be used to up the hit chances a little bit - actually one of my own favorites is a Blinding Shot followed by Rapid Shot.
    But I digress...just saying. ;)

Something like a barrage would definitely be well worth considering, I'm only wondering about two things: animation (how to actually implement it) and range (can't fire a barrage at a location very close to you, would probably need to be something like 50% -- 160% of the Aimed Shot range). But in group combat situations it would be very cool.

If the devs would not want to totally redesign the top-of-the-line attack, it could possibly be made more useful by 1) narrowing down the attack sector a little bit, 2) shortening the range very considerably (like only 25-35% of the aimed shot range) while 3) upping the damage a little bit. This would create a "sawed off shotgun" type of attack, just with arrows. It would also look and feel more realistic. To balance it, up the cooldown time and increase the focus cost, as necessary. The target area would need to be more like cone-shaped, or a 3D "pie slice" shaped, now it seems to be more like a flat horizontal sector-shaped plane (so that even tiny height differences seem to cause the attack to fail).

11. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

I started out with a ranged character on this release and changed over to blades as ranged battle proved a bit too frustrating right now.

But - I never used that skill. Not once. I LOVE the suggestion of a barrage or volley in its place... something aoe would be great!

Montaigne and Time Lord like this.
  12. Lord John Whorfin

Lord John Whorfin Avatar

Multi-Shot actually really to low damage vs the loose of the arrow you use from it. The idea from Montaigne will be really great.

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I'd Like for You All to Know~:oops:
    As you know, I've been following this thread as I believe it's the most informative Archer thread on current Archer issues. I've very much enjoyed the reading, as I have yet to have ever tested any of our current Archery. Most threads I have read on the subject are either only full of general fluffy stuff or without any specific content. This is why it's so refreshing reading so many current Archers all speaking together.

I do believe that others as well as I are in need of more informative Archery posts within our threads, as many are the same as I, yet also many disappointed Archers with the current targeting system (some other friends of mine) seem lost and bewildered as to how any current Archer's build should look like and how to properly use it's skills.

So, "Thank You All" and please continue this fascinating current subject or anything else you wish to discuss within our current Archery skills...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In reguards to blinding shot, i particularly enjoy it at higher levels as it really reduced the incomming damage from higher level enemy archers by knocking out 40 dex, which is the source of alot of archer dmg.

NPC archers are particularly hard to deal with and blinding shot has helped alot in the past, havent triedit this release tho

15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

If I may add something to the archer way: OH MY GOD how good is Aimed Shot! :eek:

When you have one attack that deals twice the damage of every other, the other ones must be really damn well good with added bonus/effects to counter the OP'edness of Aimed.

Marksmen and markswomen, I'd love to know how high is your Aimed Shot compared to all other Ranged skills. I guess I know the answer.

16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I planned to use it for AOE farming with an archer, using it with discharge. In the end i stopped because it fails so much; many times i've seen the arrows passing through some mobs i'm kiting without harming any of them. It's hard to evaluate a skill that's clearly broken :/ I still want to check how much damage it does at high levels so i hope i'll raise it when my character is more advanced.

Regarding the rest of archery skills, the one i find mostly useless is piercing shot. Maybe it's just me because nobody brought it up here... but it does sort of the same damage than disabling/blinding shot to almost every mob i've tried it against, and it does not create any special debuff. Maybe a PVPer that tried it against full plate players can tell me if it's worth in that situation?
    I guess you're guessing right ;)

cartodude, Montaigne, helm and 2 others like this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Aimed shot is the bread and butter skill (like thrust is for swords and crushing blow is supposed to be). It does close to the same damage as a fully charged shot at higher levels, and when used in tandem with a charged shot, doesvery high burst damage

18. Noric

Noric Avatar

My largest experience with piercing shot has been from npc archers using if on me. Unless i am mistaken i take more damage from piercing shot than disabling or blinding. Aimed slot is clearly more potent add well though i feel it and piercing are closer.

If you are concerned about it working right, i would suggest testing it yourself as it very well might be broken. My recommendation would be to test against obsidian golems and armored players.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Once you train-up Multi Shot Rapid Fire, it does more DPS than any other Ranged Combat skill. Also, arrows are cheap now.

[edit] Sorry, I was confusing this with Rapid Fire (which is the one that has the highest DPS).

20. helm

helm Avatar

Okay since this has turned into general informative thread about archery, let's make it so then. :)

You want damage numbers? You got 'em! Here here are some of quick&dirty chatlog stats from last three days. Please note that I'm still very much building up my archer, and during this time, I upgraded Disabling Shot, Blinding Shot and Piercing Shot to higher level (60-ish to 80-ish), so now they probably would score a few points more.
    • Free (Charged) Attack average damage is 40.72 (min/max 0/131) calculated from 2042 hits (34% of total dmg)
    • Aimed Shot average damage is 57.92 (min/max 0/225) calculated from 1193 hits (29% of total dmg)
    • Blinding Shot average damage is 27.50 (min/max 0/66) calculated from 275 hits (3% of total dmg)
    • Disabling Shot average damage is 27.11 (min/max 0/69) calculated from 616 hits (7% of total dmg)
    • Piercing Shot average damage is 26.76 (min/max 11/65) calculated from 108 hits (1% of total dmg)
    • Rapid Fire average damage is 99.34 (min/max 8/348) calculated from 642 hits (26% of total dmg)
    Based on my analysis I conclude that that this is roughly how it should be. In my opinion only the Free Attack, Aimed Shot, Rapid Fire and MultiShot (and with some HUGE reservations, Piercing Shot) can be really compared against one another. I would use Blinding Shot and Disabling Shot for tactical reasons, even if they did zero damage.

Edit - added some relative damage percentages

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.