Archery Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danjacobsmith, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I play primarily as a healer, but have recently taken up Archery. I have a few questions for you archery experts out there. I was mostly wondering about the effects of the two passive skills Eagle Eye and Draw Strength.

Eagle Eye states it gives +15 attack bonus at 60, and seems to go up +5 every 20 skill points after that. Has anyone ever did any testing and concluded that this skill is working and going from 60 to 100 would make a significant difference?

Draw Strength is even more confusing since it shows a damage bonus of 1.5 and going from 60's into the 80's the damage bonus going from around 1.5 to 2. Does this mean that each attack only does half a point of damage more? What exactly does that damage bonus mean? If it was a multiplier it would be very powerful, if it was an addition it would be almost useless. Or is it a multiplier on only the strength portion of your damage? So I guess the question is, does draw strength work and make much of a difference?

Are these two skills worth it, or am I better off bringing archery from 100 to 110 for instance and getting a 7 percent increase in damage that way?

Thanks.

2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Personally i don't know....but i presume this...

The skills you are talking about are passive skills... taking 4x xp to raise...means they take 4 times the amount of XP to raise than a normal skill, 4.8 million to get to gm, while your base ranged skill is a 1x, taking 1.2mill xp to get to GM The 7% change you are mentioning sounds very good effect by raising to 110 which will take about a further 2 million xp.

However i would maybe raise the passives up but not all the way getting a bonus to your damage until it costs excessive xp to raise.
    With a 4X skill to get to level XX takes...

level 50.......40k
    level 60.......106k
    level 70.......277k
    level 80......720k
    level 90.......1.86 mill
    level 100.....4.84 mill

level 70-80 seems quite easy to raise without getting into too large figures when we don't know the effect it gives, after that it sounds best as you say to raise the might be tempted to raise the ranged skill to 110 before raising the passives further....

danjacobsmith likes this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

+ attack was easily observable once upon a time as either +1str or +1dex. To my knowledge it's not this direct of a conversion any longer (but you can pretend that +attack is = the same amount in a stat to understand its value, close enough).

Eagle eye + your dex + your avatar level + your ranged combat level + your glyph level is what is letting you hit a target or not.

Simpy put, increase the cheapest one first and then keep increasing them all. They all matter.

.5 is worth it. It's small because it's the base number that all of the %bonuses are applied to. Take a look at the damage range on your bow. A .5 increase is what % increase on the bottom and top end of your bows damage range? Ill eventually GM draw strength.

Also consider that one of the bow masterworks is adding .5 damage. It turns into a lot.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The guy above me got it.

Essentially yes they arnt only worth it, they r reccomended.

Draw strength adds base dmg. After modifiers even .1dmg can translate to a lot more. So .5dmg is major.
    I gmed draw strength and my max dmg on hit went from (80 drawcstrength ) 340 ish (100draw ) to 400 i broke.

Eagle eye is agian needed.
    Recently they made stats changes that effected chance to hit agian. I had eagle eye at 70 and nevrr missed. After thr changes i was missen on t6 mobs ( yellow ) like 20% of time

Recently took it to 90+ and i miss under 5% now. Very noticeable.

Hope that info helps

5. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

Thank you everyone. That's exactly the information I was looking for.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Initially the best way to improve your dps is just to annihilate the word miss miss miss miss from your combat log.

Miss is actually a swear in SotA.

Zhoc, Thwip and discipleofweb like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The things that affect your chance to hit are your adventurer level vs the mob's adventurer level, your dexterity vs the mob's dexterity and the Eagle Eye skill. That's it. For PvP, exclude adventurer level.

hroth likes this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If you say so!

He does raise a good point in that my Blinding Shot is GM'd if I need to lower a difficult targets dex prior to 5 stacking a rapid fire at it.

Barugon likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Right, lowering the mob's dexterity gives you a better chance to hit. I use that and Air's Embrace.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Try unlearning your ranged combat and the glyph you primarily use and let me know what happens to your miss rate.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not gonna happen. Anyway, two things:
    1. The tool-tips say exactly what they do.
    2. A while back, one of the devs (I believe it was Chris) published how the to-hit chance is calculated. The Ranged Combat skill and the level of the glyph you're using are not part of that calculation.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.