Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ardoris Sewers

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Miracle Dragon, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

The lore says smugglers are using the Ardoris Sewers to smuggle goods from Ardoris to Soltown, right? Well Soltown's Sewer network is certainly extensive, but it does not appear to be connected to Ardoris' Sewer.

Infact, the Ardoris Sewer appears to be a completely closed loop, with only one entrance/exit. Sounds like an easy place for guards to clear out, I can't imagine why smugglers would have any luck with an operation down there.

I'd like if there were at least multiple entrances to the Ardoris sewer system from within Ardoris, along with a layout that better reflects the street map of the city above. (with small tunnels that lead up to various buildings/gutters along the roads.

I can't help but thinking while down there, that it would be cool if behind a secret wall, (located just under the market square) were a bandit den working on digging up directly into the bank vault. :) Now that would be a cool thing to run into and try to stop. Come on, bank robbers in action? That would be awesome.

Also, perhaps one of those swamp alligators could make its way into some of the bigger sewer systems.. and in the deep areas that seem to have access to underworld passages.. carnivorous human cave dwellers? And even deeper or more remotely, rogue alchemist necromancers harvesting bandits and undead to create homunculi and headless and other mutant abberations?

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  2. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Have you managed to locate any destroyable walls or hidden doors? I have yet to explore the sewer, but I have found such things in other sewer systems.

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I can verify that all three towns are connected by the sewers: Ardoris, Solania, and Soltown.

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

they also connect to spectral mines

Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and Net like this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Ah man, now I really have to search harder! :) Thanks for confirming this jiirc. I think I've found all the connections other than to Ardoris. is the connection to Owl's Head still there? (I assume that was just a bugged name)

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

All underworld locations in Hidden Vale are connected (so far).
    All underworld locations in Novia are connected (so far).
    Its great fun.

7. Miracle Dragon

Well, after being told there is a connection in Ardoris sewer, and going back and forth through it another 20 100 times, clicked on every foot of wall, I leveled up again, but still don't see it. What am I looking for exactly? Don't see any buttons or levers or cracks in the wall or hatches under the water...

You know, it would make sense that the bandits in there were guarding the secret passage, and eventually, I'd be able to catch one of them carrying a box through it.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

2 of the hidden transition points are breakable walls, one is an illusion where you can simply walk through the wall

Net likes this.
  9. Miracle Dragon

Okay, there hasn't been any clue that magic was involved with this sewer in anyway. Hopefully if that's how this works, that will change with quests in the future. Thanks Themo.

Themo Lock likes this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

found it. at least it was in the right section of the sewer. thanks for your help. they really need to set up the roaming bandit to enter/exit that spot frequently so we're not stuck headbutting the walls all day.

And I wonder what lore will be created to explain 'no-clip' walls. Personally, I hope this is just temporary until they finish creating the new secret door for curved walls asset.

Ah, i see the stone border now.. so it's not completely invisible. I guess once we know what we're looking for it isn't so bad after all. ;-) It's kind of nice having a secret door that doesn't light up your cursor, but still needs a lore explanation.

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

it would be cool if that reveal hidden spell highlighted it

One Zero, Net, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

See, you come up with the greatest ideas. reveal hidden would be perfect

One Zero and Themo Lock like this.
  13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

If there were some magical hidden walls in there, I'm sure there must be some visual difference! Evil designers would not make you bang your head against the wall over and over again. I do like the idea of a reveal hidden but to some extent, the illusionary door was only used because we didn't have a good secret door for the sewers that I liked. It did feel like an old school element though so I thought I would try it out.

Rumor has it that the sewers will connect to the catacombs and become a vast web of underground passages that can take you almost anywhere in Novia and maybe even the Hidden Vale! While a bit confusing at first, those who master the catacombs will have an alternative to the overworld that, while dangerous and require a keen mind(or maps) to navigate, might be even faster! I can confirm that I was able to travel from Ardoris to Soltown in 3 minutes on the nose using the sewer system.

Also, the sewers are shared spaces so you will likely see plenty of people on your trips through the sewers. If you have forsaken the Oracle's blessing and are PVP, this could make for a more exciting trip in the future as more PVP players discover the underworld.

Lastly, I actually made the three scenes in the sewers myself mostly on the weekends while my daughter and wife slept in. They were an experiment on my part to try and figure out what we could do to improve quality and speed of production in map building. There are few visual glitches which I will fix and they probably need some general love but overall we thought they were good enough for the build and wanted to try them out. Expect the quality bar for them to go up over time and expect more puzzles, interactive elements, and mysteries as well.

Next release I hope we can sneak in a few more small scenes like these and hopefully, a larger hub scene with more epic elements in it. Whether or not they make it might depend on how late Maxine(my 1 year old) decides to sleep in over the next few weeks. :)

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I love the sigil mosaics on the floors in there!

Arianna and Miracle Dragon like this.
  15. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

That's some pretty serious sewers then. Funny to think they'd connect their cities together like that if all the city states of Novia were so distrustful of each other.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'm not the expert on the lore but I believe the sewers and catacombs were created and connected hundreds of years ago during a time when it was unsafe to travel above ground due to shardfalls and darkness. That is also when some cities moved completely underground! Today the catacombs are generally more used by the more unsavory types to travel without fear of being seen by the locals.

17. Miracle Dragon

Chris, thanks for the insight on these sewers! :D I do like how the unsavory types are holed up closer to Soltown, it makes sense that the closer it gets to the big city, the riskier it would be for them to establish themselves. Maybe someday there'll be random guard raids trying to clear them out. (or player-led guard raids vs. player-led brigand attacks for two conflicting quest chains). The shared-spaces aspect is quite intriguing.

I must admit, at some point I began assuming the rounded walls would be too difficult to create secret wall assets for, so I was getting in the habit of skipping over the rounded bits when searching. ;)

Arianna likes this.
  18. TheMadHermit

TheMadHermit Avatar

I love the illusionary walls. It's gives us yet another thing to look for. Had a blast exploring the sewers the other day while I was putting together the hat video. Well done Chris!

Elbregan and Miracle Dragon like this.
  19. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

The illusionary wall was quite ultimaesque. Nice touch and hope there are many more to come

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.