Are any RP towns forming yet?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Sarg, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Well, if they open up the customization of the player towns, to some extent, I plan on having a very "evil" themed player city. Castle in the mountains, with a few small houses for the 'locals' to live in. Would be a nice one to have a Halloween theme done at that time of year.

here's hoping we get a decent level of customization.

Samlee, Lord Baldrith and Winfield like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

NP.. I was actually hoping to talk to some of the founders of player towns at some point in regards to RP, developing culture and events. So I've started taking note of the towns announced so far.

I have been hoping to encourage town leaders to develop their own cultural traditions in their towns and possibly host events for special occasions. Winfield gave me a lot of good insights in this regard and I'm excited to see how everyone's town grows.

The ones I didn't mention because I wasn't really read up on and therefore am not sure what they have in mind yet would be..

The holdfast of Dawn's Keep (Rufus D'Asperdi) - I really like the name btw. :)
    The metropolis of Beran's Reach.. another cool name.. (Duke Vallas)
    Admont (Julie) which I believe is a village size? Also not a bad name. ;)

I might have missed one or two but I think that's all of them so far. I'm really tempted now to work towards something of my own for my guild. :)

3. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

This is what keeps me invigorated with helping lead a player town and working with other player towns. Each town is unique, has its own character and nature, has its own citizenry, and holds wonderful and different events. Just to go around and celebrate all the "anniversary dates" for the player towns is great fun!

In PaxLair we may have "mushroom day" since Ashlynn [Pax] likes mushrooms, er the study of Mushrooms - Mycology. We might also have the "Sunset Rock Cookout" since it's such a great place to see the sunset and the tavern too.

Defining our town cultures, traditions, and events will certainly come in time. Yet, an earnest effort by all towns to establish this early in our history (even now by experimenting in the Releases), and in the First Year will be grand. This will carry forward for many years to come, in my opinion. Starting sooner than later with culture, events, occasions, and history cannot be underestimated. And recording of such history is vital. I wish I had recorded as much history 16+ years ago when PaxLair started in Britannia. So much was lost (er, some may still be on some old DAT tape back-ups somewhere in the closet).

Thanks Bowen Bloodgood for your ideas. Well appreciated.

4. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

Wow, lots of response! That makes me feel better about things. I was starting to worry it was going to be a non-RP crowd.

PaxLair sure has a lot of buildings planned out already - are player cemetaries, courthouses and universities already in the game, or is that a wish list?

Samlee, Kaisa and Winfield like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm just playing instigator here. You guys are the ones doing all the work. ;) I just see an enormous potential in the community that can only enhance in positive ways. So much so that it's mind blowing. We have an opportunity in SotA to go far beyond what any other community has done or is likely to do. If we can establish a strong precedent early on that will carry on well.. I guess I don't have the words but I'm sure it would be a lot harder or even impossible without such outstanding groups in the community like PaxLair.

And let me tell everyone something. I am not prone to giving out compliments lightly. I'm actually surprising myself here in a lot of ways. :)

I am seriously tempted now to push my own little town somewhere. :) 38 assets accepted if I could get x2 store credit for them.. I could probably pull that off for a holdfast.. 60 could get me a hamlet.. hmmm

Actually.. since we're somewhat on the subject. I'll bring up something related in the realm of player run events. What sorts of props do you guys think will be useful for setting up events? An obvious one would be a stage. I'm also thinking about some sort of bleachers for outdoor events. Maybe even a multi-piece bleacher kit. So there would be elevated seating including a covered VIP section. I'm also thinking of a kit for building a list field. Any other ideas?

The requested assets are all "closed" right now but they might be willing to accept specialized items. I think if I or someone else started building event specific props the chances of getting them in-game sooner rather than later would be improved.

Samlee, Gaelis and Winfield like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A LONG time ago.. we had been talking about an in-game university of sorts. I don't know if anyone else remembers this or not. Winfield might. :) I think we ultimately decided it was just too soon. To the best of my knowledge, Holt of the Poet's Circle is still interested in a Bard's College in-game. I wanted an academy of sorts with a broader range of topics.

I have the feeling at this time we're all pretty wrapped up in our own things but some sort of player-run university is still something I'd like to see at some point. It still might be a little early to talk about I'm not sure as it's highly dependent on having detailed knowledge of the game.

Samlee and Winfield like this.
  7. Winfield

The houses planned for PaxLair can be made from any type of player-house. I don't think we consider them a wish list. It's more a "functional-use list" of player houses.

Cemeteries are an open lot. A courthouse could be a Great Hall building on a village lot. A university could be a Knight home. So no, as far as I can tell, there are no specific houses made by the developers for these types of buildings yet. So we be creative with what we can make and provide as players.

For example, we do this in Ultima Online where our buildings are only created and decorated by the players. Creativity is the key. We just need the tools from the developers.

[​IMG]
    PaxLair's ally in UO: Pitmuck Emporium shop. (Ultima Online customized player house) - Oh, that is Ashlynn standing in the middle of the building in the greenish dress *waves*.

[​IMG]
    PaxLair's 16th Anniversary Dinner in UO - January 19, 2014 - at the Tea House, Tokuno, Chesapeake.

So it's essential we have the tools to decorate and make our buildings into what we need, be it a market, courthouse, auction house, or university. A building is a building. What we do with it and how we furnish it will help define it I think.

Samlee and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

It was in firelotus's q&a from july 3rd... To paraphrase: No game resource spawns in player towns... And I assumed this to include fish (i'm hoping my assumption might still be wrong.)

9. Winfield

I do remember. Here is the link: Player run colleges - started on Apr 17, 2013, last comment on Apr 19, 2013. The discussion did end with a More do to in the Future kind of thing. I think we are far enough in the future to consider Player Run Colleges in a more concrete fashion. PaxLair will have a University or maybe just called a School. Maybe we send students to the University in another town for more definitive instruction and training! The inter-connections between us are limitless. It is one overall community after all.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like this approach. The "Celtic Holdfast" will have a school specializing in Druidry! (some spell casting instruction and other nature type of instruction) :) I am ready to assist with that. Anyone in the "Celtic Holdfast" that wants to go to school in another player-ran town has that option to learn other skills that the "Celtic Holdfast" College does not carry.

(I am leaving the school of Bards to Holt and the fantastic Poets Circle as to not step on toes.) I can see another town specializing in Mages, Warriors, etc. Great idea Winfield!

Samlee, Keira, The One and 1 other person like this.
  11. Winfield

PaxLair is building a stage in each release. We base it off Matthew Garbett's concept in R7 that even attracted Lord British to visit and give a soliloquy of his own. We don't know what props are needed as I know the devs may work on better stage materials first. We used tables. Matthew Garbett used benches.

[​IMG]
    PaxLair stage viewed from Sunset Rock during R7.​

[​IMG]
    Lord British told the "Tale of the Centaurs and Fawns of New Britannia" at Matthew Garbett's stage! I bet that would sell some tickets!​
    "200 years ago the Obsidian Sorcerers, brought into existence the Fawns... But, since they were useful, except too passive, they also created Centaurs! To enslave and drive the Fawns... To this day, one can see poor fawns being driven by the whip of their unhappy masters. There is one Fawn... Perry the Unchained! Perry is the ONE who may be able to lead them from enslavement! But, that is a story for YOU to discover... for YOU to play YOUR part in! *Lord British bows*"​

What is nice about these pre-alpha releases is... history is already in the making! And well worth reporting and documenting for our historians.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How very interesting. Originally we had been thinking about just one big school but dividing it up like this could work very well also. Which leads me to the thought of working together to come up with potential standards. Understanding when I say that of course that your school is yours and you run it how you like. Perhaps rather than standard a better phrasing would be 'recommended templates'.

Way back in our UO days the Knights of Britannia had been working on a Knight's Academy of sorts. We had some required readings mainly geared towards role-play and chivalric conduct. I think we even had a major or two and even minors which were optional. I'd really have to go back and look at the old material we had. Fortunately I had managed to save nearly all of that stuff. :) Naturally it was geared towards knights and "knightly" conduct for RP.

We have even talked briefly about doing it again in SotA.

The biggest problem we had though was staff. It's really easy to come up with grand ideas but one of the first things I would want to stress at this stage is to make sure whatever you plan.. that it is something you have the manpower to pull it. :)

I absolutely love the idea of different communities specializing in not only just helping new players learn and enjoy the game, but at the same time promoting RP and community and I know I'd be more than happy to direct people to which ever school that is best suited to their needs.

Samlee, Winfield and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Very cool.. and maybe they will build outdoor stages. I know I have directly requested "RP tools" along these lines. We just don't know what they're building or when. For now I'm just assuming that something like a placeable, outdoor stage probably isn't a high priority. So if I beat them to the punch and they like it it will save them some work. :)

So just looking at a stage I'm thinking a stage 'kit'. One or two pieces for the stage. A small set of steps so you don't have to jump.. couple different styles.. I could probably do that. :)

Samlee and Winfield like this.
  14. Winfield

I think with good ideas, a good framework, and a grand plan/idea for things like this can be populated by manpower in the future. What do we have to lose? At minimum, we've defined a University + School system that can be executed be across many town boundaries with a lot of cooperation. And we fill in with manpower as towns and guilds come "on line" with their people and ideas.

I think PaxLair's School could teach the following (and I am just brainstorming, this is notional but perhaps not too far off):
    • Diplomacy - taught by Winfield
    • Weapon/Armor Crafting - taught by Grimlar Mithrax
    • Cemetery Services - taught by Ashlynn
    We may look to send our people to some other Towns' schools that specialize in:
    • Basic Combat
    • Team Combat
    • General Crafting
    • Cooking
    • Brewing
    • etc.
    But... we can't just look at this to learn game mechanics. It's to learn how to approach things conceptually and RP more too.
    • War Strategy
    • Role-playing 101, 201
    • Diplomacy (like I can help teach in PaxLair)
    • Justice and Law (how to try a court case effectively, keep it on track, come to a verdict)
    • News Reporting (best use of in-game situations to get best images, and commentary, then publish on sites. Even learn how to use WordPress)
    • etc.
    So the Schools and list of studies are pretty endless, up to what we can propose. Yes, we need manpower to help teach, train, and instruct people. But I truly think there is enough talent in this New Britannia to help others in a structured way, that so many people will benefit. And the instructors will feel a true sense of achievement too. Perhaps even towns give out their Plaques of Distinction to great instructors.

Samlee likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One of my goals here if KoNB does run a knights academy, is to set up a framework that can function with virtually any sized staff so as to meet the changing needs of a growing school as well as function as a small school if need be.

Also I fully agree on the RP end of things. We would have a heavy focus on non-magical combat. Individual and group tactics and the like. But we'll also have a heavy emphasis on RP as a knight.

In fact, one thing I would like to suggest is promoting the adoption of a standard role-play course(s). I think that is something most (if not all) of us would have in common.

Samlee, Numa and Winfield like this.
  16. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

Really loving this idea. And something I would be more then willing to get involved in. As I already said, my city (ok, its going to be a hold fast but still) is going to be of an evil 'theme' and of a fairly chaotic nature. I would love to be able to extend the services offered, to include something along these lines.

Now that they have added payment plans to player cities, I expect we'll see a lot more coming on line.

Really loving this idea! Now.. where did i put my credit card....

Samlee, Winfield and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah if only I could do a payment plan. but I'm relatively sure I could pull something off through asset submissions. Assuming store credit becomes an option. :)

Samlee likes this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Latest update from tonight says Player-ran towns now have a payment plan option!

Samlee, Keira, The One and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

yeah I saw that.. but I just don't have a budget I can work with. I was very fortunately to be able to get my initial pledge and I've been raising it slowly through assets. Now with new pledge levels and player towns things have changed significantly. I had planned on raising my pledge substantially but now I can reevaluate. I'm a point where I can say.. do I go for a city lot deed? Or get a Hamlet instead? Which suits my goals best?

Plus now there's an extra 6 months or so to build up my credits through submissions. So long as I don't slack off to much I think it's very favorable that I might at least acquire a holdfast or hamlet. The question then becomes how best to use it.

One interesting use of a player town could actually be renting most of the town lots out as a venue for events. One time fee you give ownership to an event organizer for a set period so they can set up.. hold their event and then you evict them. I'd love to see a place like that.

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Just watch someone doesn't accidentally flip the PVP switch on PaxLair lol... everyone is dead and all that organization for nowt :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.