Are Oracle Watchers supposed to be present in any scene you can get a Virtue hit?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Anpu, Aug 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don't know if this is a bug, or possibly missing content, but in the Overland Dog encounter, the player WILL have a virtue hit when killing the various Herders that will appear, if the player kills all the various herd of random creatures that can appear in an overland Dog encounter.

The Oracle will never tell you this at all, but probably because no Oracle Watcher is present in the scene?

My basic understanding of knowing when a choice I can do in a scene may effect my virtue, is when an Oracle Watcher is within the scene (like Tenebris Harbor, the Children you can kill). An Oracle Watcher is completely absent in the Dog encounter scene, as well as any response when speaking of my virtue to the Oracle (after killing all the NPC Herders). Killing the Herders in the wave battle here does lower your virtue.

This may, or may not be intended. I just wanted to ask this question first: Are Oracle Watchers supposed to be present in scenes that your decision within them can effect your virtue?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The Oracle doesn't need her watchers in the area when someone's virtue-related data needs to be updated. From the avatar's perspective, the Oracle doesn't need a visible presence of any type to know when a virtue-affecting event has occurred.

In my mind, the Oracle has as-yet-unrevealed means that can track any and all virtue changes, but the watchers are nodes in her extended computer network that provide extra benefits by (1) helping her capture additional details about virtue events and (2) processing and submitting those details more quickly than her "invisible tracking" means.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thanks @Sannio ! So should she be providing a response to us when we do slaughter all those Herders? I don’t believe she does (I wasn’t able to get any response mentioning that or I missed it).

Mal Hari and Violet Ronso like this.
  4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I reported this as a bug a long time ago -- but sometimes these "herders" are wearing an Ebon Dawn outfit.. It could be intended, since obviously Ebon Dawn folks are mixing in with the rest of society - or perhaps they are being called in by the herders as mercenaries, I guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that's not ebon-dawn-specific, that's just a bandit outfit. i'm willing to believe the local thugs will stand up to protect the local herders, maybe for pay.

Echondas likes this.
  6. Sannio

No, she shouldn't have a specific response about the herders. (That kind of tracking in usually only done for very old quests and main storyline details.)

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  7. Sannio

It's not a bug. I added the comment below to the bug you linked.

It's not a bug. Let's just say that some regular citizens that travel the roads have the same clothing as bandits.​

(The technical reason the bandit models were used is because, at the time the encounter was made, they were approved for all combat animations while the plain commoners/farmers weren't. But it was also a good visual indicator that the bandit models would be tougher than the commoner models.)

Time Lord, Echondas and Anpu like this.
  8. Echondas

That was a thought i had, that the herders hired them as mercenaries.

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  9. Echondas

Makes sense - thanks for the info! I was kinda imagining like Alley said, the farmers hired them on as mercs or something.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

As this subject has to do with player access deco and how it may or may not relate to the questing scene;

I find this a very unique post, as often times whatever moves into the Coto Store or comes availible for players to own becomes instantly obsolite for our developers to be using to enhance a scene.

I would rather think that our game development design would be better served by showcasing our coto store products through salting them throughout our continuing scene designs in such a way to enhance their luster as wanted things. Much in the same way that comic strips showcase the hero and thus sell action figures or mearly enjoyed dreams of being a super hero, it's that super hero which sells the comic and here in our game it's much what our coto store sells, that is the actual hero of our game.

Both storyline and quests are "an alure" and could be said to aide in the selling of EP2, yet what items we sell through our coto store, generate both alure as well as game development income.

So, it's interesting and nice to learn about such things as our watchers and their non-importance, yet when we accept that our watchers have no further enhancement that they could possibly fill while we leave things up to an invisible force of the Oracle, "the Oracle has then acted as the salesperson of nothing", while the sales object is further reduced to deco with no purpose other than eye candy.

At still another level, the players are now informed to disregard the meaningless actions of something that took development costs to create it's illusion... an illusion that even our Anpu was under until we all are now informed that "there is no Santa".

This all means that "each time" any new or old player askes about the watchers, the watchers magic will be immediately dispelled by any of our most knowledgeable players here in this thread.

I'm not here to lecture anyone because I'm certainly not a profesional, but we need to do what comic books like Marvel does, which is always better showcase what we sell.

I'll never be able to look my pet watcher in the eye quite in the same way ever again.

His showcase of mystique now a sham, maybe there's something more we could do for him to better sell him back on our showroom's floor, some further usefulness?

No longer a comic book hero,
    [​IMG]

He looks so sad now... :(
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.