Are there any plans to boost the game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorhoto, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

It is clear that the game's population is dropping day by day, you only need to look at Steam numbers or just the amount of Twitch streams (at the time of this post: 0). So I was wondering if do you have any plans to re-boost the game? Bringing new players and, at the same time, Making it more interesting-challenging for the current ones?

I can see some improvements after checking R55 (since R52), but IMHO it is not enough at all.

So, as a suggestion, the launch of a new server with true PVP (alas felucca in the UO version), would give the game a new chance. But of course, a real launch, and not a fake-one like the announced in the R52 on Steam where there wasn't a wipe and you had to convive with chars a few years old already.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Lord Trady of Blix, Koldar and Derium like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Last I read, the devs were scratching their heads at where the marketing of this game went with their partner.

Kraznor, Katu, Derium and 1 other person like this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

You also have to realize that this is prime vacation time for most Americans. Kids get out of school and the weather is great so in-game population always drops the first couple months of summer.

That said, we could use a boost to get some fresh blood in the game.

Applerust, ozzzmosis, K1000 and 9 others like this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

And noting radical is going to happen with a drastically reduced dev team.

5. amarious

amarious Avatar

Super disheartening. It feels like who ever did the marketing didn't give a **** about their job.

Edit: to go a little bit further.. I saw one ad on Instagram and a few on Facebook. Both of which looked like ads for some cheap ass mobile game..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yes, I have noticed this trend around this time of year too.

7. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

The game could certainly use new players. Here's a snippet from another thread where I wrote down my thoughts on how to bring in new players....

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Solazur, amarious and Derium like this.
  9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I hardly see the prime vacation as a reason because it would affect the global steam stats as well (which does not seem to be the case as for today) and the other games (which is not the case with the game I play).

Nog, padreadamo, Tetsu Nevara and 4 others like this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think pegging everything on what marketing did, or didn't, happen at the time of release is disingenuous.

The game was very well-known in MMO circles for years. The game was persistent for years before release.

These two things combined are enough for a game to be doing far better than Shroud currently is - if people liked it.

So the fact people didn't pile on, years back, at persistence, cannot be blamed on marketing that didn't happen in 2018.

Marketing also doesn't explain why many, many people, who already OWN a copy, didn't show up to play, either.

Nog, MrBlight, Sir_Hemlock and 9 others like this.
  11. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

We need to nail an emotional community made or otherwise trailer.
    We need Nassault

(to bring fresh life to the game and perhaps solidify everyone into two big castle towns which are 100% open PVP with guilds wrestling for guard control. We have the world, we just need some good Territorial combat that must be meaningful! Safe spaces are killing this game.)

Stevvcash, Boris Mondragon and Elrond like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The things people rant over for 2 years in the internet should be considered.
    And they need to adress what most people dislike, change it and then announce it, spread the word and hope.
    But imho this would be some major changes what sure would drive away some Backers what are now satisfied.
    But with 200 players satisfied i predict not a very long lifecycle or an Ep2.

The direction the game has taken drove tens of thousands of Backers away.
    They never came back , didnt even login after release.

All this need to be considered.

To me RMT, Prices of the Shop and how they setup the sandbox regarding SP and MP/ MMO, Skillsystem and Progression are major things to reconsider.

I like open PvP, but with the settings we have i would avoid it like nothing else.
    PvP need a fair, balanced even playing field.

I heavily doubt they are
    - Willing to do an overhaul
    - able to do major changes
    - able to change their bad reputation in the www
    ...but i wish they would try it and i would support it. Not finanzielle, but with player created content.

They will fix some bugs and polish the game we actually have .
    No more features, but hopefully everything polished like it should be 5 Month ago when they released it.
    Imho they hope for a successfull Ep2 KS after polishing Ep1.
    But if i'm honest i cant imagine that they will get enough to create Ep2 and to keep it alive very long .

The best and hardest way would be to rethink some major Design decisions regarding Selective Multiplayer, RMT, Skillsystem, Progression , PvP and player driven Economy and then when everything was wiped and significantly changed they can present a new Game and will maybe get Backers back and can attract new players.
    Hard Task, but imho the best they can do.
    Otherwise i dont da any chance, honestly.

After rejoining, the game has it's qualities, but i allways end up imagining a more sandboxish RPvX playstyle what isnt possible the game is actually setup.

They please a small audience and seem to be not able to change their view.
    Even if it's their Vision they should start to feel responsible for the players that habe supported them and leaved.
    This is the majority of Backers who made this game possible and not the few who like it like it is regarding RMT, Skillsystem, Progression, SP, MP, MMO...

If they dont do it they can retire from gaming industry imho, because nobody will ever support them again.
    Just my opinion.

Blackghost, Stevvcash, K1000 and 5 others like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Development really has nothing to do with marketing.

14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I accidentally left the quote from @2112Starman in there. Development has EVERYTHING to do with the first quote.

Sir Cabirus and K1000 like this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

To me, the add-on stores don't really bother me much. If I enjoy the game and I like the add-on store items, I would buy some if I have extra cash to spare.

What bother me the most is the out-of-the-blue game changing that interrupted people's day to day game play that keep them entertain for the sake of the few "armchairs game designers". It all started with this reticle view/control changes. People who used to be able to enjoy themselves with the game while having top tactical view, much their snacks and drinks while spending hours hunting. That got replaced with the "FPS" mode because somebody think people should not be allowed to enjoy the game play experience.

After that, we have all these "balancing" (AKA nerfs) that messed up people hunting routines. The purpose of playing a game is to have fun. If it's not fun, then it doesn't matter how masterfully it's being designed. If something is gonna be nerfed, players should be informed a few weeks earlier and offer alternatives before hand, so they have time to adjust to the changes.

Also if they want to get rid of/reduce items on add-on store and push players to buy COTOs to use them in-game instead, they will have adjust the price of the COTOs. 4 x COTOs for $5 is pretty much a "Do-not-buy" product topping with tax included to add salt to the wound. If the goal is to gain more players to support the team over just a few numbers of heavy-pocketed backers, the introductory prices of things need to be lowered.

Blackghost, K1000, Almar and 9 others like this.
  16. Derium

Derium Avatar

17. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Agree, changes need to be made if this game is going to survive. It gets old this finger-pointing and blaming, if its not the social engineers then its the summer, if not the summer then "fill in blank" etc.

Folks will play if they have fun. Responsibility of this falls into the lap of the developers.

Vyrin, padreadamo, smack and 8 others like this.
  18. Jorhoto

Jorhoto Avatar

Then it only affects SOTA (the green line-down is SOTA):
    https://steamcharts.com/cmp/326160,346110,306130,582660#3m

SOTA is the UO2, isn't it? Lord British and those things in player's memory that made 17M funding for this game.

A new server, totally wiped, UO2-felluca, monthly subscription, (forget about Lord British's birthday event :p) and let's see how thousand of players come in.
    BTW, interesting article about what was UO: A brief history of murder in Ultima Online.

Ataniiq, Boris Mondragon and Derium like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

You keep saying RMT, Skillsystem, Progression, SP, MP, MMO... I don't understand why you point to these very specific things. I, for one, love the fact that the skills do not have a hard cap, and you can keep pushing things. That curve of pouring tens of millions of XP into something and getting little return... but you CAN do it. I think that's awesome. Also, I really like the selective multiplayer thing. Sometimes I just want to travel around with my one good friend, and I don't want to be competing with 20 other people for spawn and resources. I thought this was a wonderful idea. I have no real issue with RMT. I am not going to make money off of a game like this, but if others do, I really don't care. I bought a couple of artisan tools recently from a really nice gentleman in the game. It was very convenient.

The skills system, and how you raise them is, in my opinion, one of the true strengths of this game. I love it, and always have.

I suppose if I really, really loved and desired PvP, that is one of the only ways I could be really super upset about anything. PvP makes everything complicated, that's for sure. Fortunately for me, I have close to zero desire for PvP.

I suppose this just goes to show how it really depends on perspective. I think this game is wonderful, and will only continue to get more and more so.

Beaumaris, Mimner, majoria70 and 8 others like this.
  20. Xkillerz

Xkillerz Avatar

In my opinion a lot of people don't know about it still. If I tell mmo players ever heard of shroud of the avatar 9/10 I hear no. So even if the game was not perfect it could have a few thousand players if the promotion was done better.

gtesser, Witcheypoo, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.