Are We A MMO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trina, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Then MMO means popular? While the game is fresh and popular with lots of players the lobby is full. It's an MMO. Game takes a dive then it loses it's MMO status?

What FPS doesn't fit MMO status if that's the meaning of MMOFPS?

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Once again. If you think MMO means high population, alone, sure you got it MMO it is. But what multiplayer game isn't an MMO then?

Advertisers/Publishers use the term and it is what it is. Which is why no one argues if SotA is an MMO. It doesn't matter because it's a term to get more search hits.

Developers/Designers have a different view of the term. This is the area I watched form and morph over the history of the word. The games came before the definition and the term MMO was used to separate all the online multiplayer game from the others.

So if we can't discuss how that separation is viewed there's nothing left to discuss. All we have is you telling me the "definition" and me telling you "yes, I am aware of that".

IE: I'm not arguing that there is a "gaming laptop" sticker placed on a laptop by advertisers. I am saying can a gaming laptop realistically be a gaming laptop if they didn't address over heating issues or the RAM is shared instead of dedicated.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

MMO needs to be able to support large number of players at the same time in the same instance or world. Does not mean those players need to be online, but the game needs to be able to support them when they are.

That still excludes most multiplayer games, becasue they have limited number of players in an instance and no world. For me the world is if you have some sort of persistance, you can buy a house or list items on vendor, you need to be able to interact with others even when you cannot see them in your instance. Having bunch of lobbies for few players that are copy of each other does not cut it.

So, for me MMOFPS is game that either:
    a) supports large instances (for me that is over 50 players at the same time, maybe it should be over 100, it kind of depends on how large is map, and what kind of FPS are we talking about).
    b) or allows for some kind of interaction in the persistant world (at the very least trading). The interaction of players has to be done within the game though.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

He got cornered, and now does to others what he don't like done unto him. How's that for ultimate guru talk :p
    The 200th member of his species we had the honor to meet ? When all you can talk about is your ego and how small childe others are compared... I guess that would forge a very extremist and inflexible point of view.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You got that about right, we've set the stage, your reputation is building.

Please don't forget you probably have perfectly good feedback hidden behind that shell :) I've liked a few of your posts...

6. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Oh please. You guys made it to page 11.. don't quit on us now :)

Spoon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

lol... we're sure running around after our own tail :D

I think Ristra repeated the same conclusion 4 times... now thats what I call patience and tolerance, people should take notes here :)

Ristra likes this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Good thoughts but there is something that makes this not seem right.

In the AD&D and D&D modules that you buy, If you finish The Keep on the Borderlands and then start Slave Pits of the Undercity. No one has heard of you, thus no impact of the world.

There are some attempts of modules that build upon the prior one to give you a sense of your accomplishment impacts the world. Module series A1.- A4 is a great attempt. Then you Change to The Hidden tomb of Tamoachan module, no one has heard of you and no impact in that world of the next module.

Let's say you wanted to relive the adventure of A1 - Slave Pits of the Undercity. When you start the module over, no one has heard of you and you had no impact on the world.

The only thing that changed is your perception that you think you impacted and changed the world at that moment in time.

All the modules I mentioned are in the World of Greyhawk.

Same thing with SotA. We change our perception that WE impacted the world. In reality everyone who played through the in-game story quests changed the world TOGETHER in the end. We know this when Episode two is released.

Just some food for thought.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is surprising this thread has dragged on so long.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats the way I see it too... many of us wished the impact to be more instant, yet noone could predict the number of bugs we would have to deal with, and we need a solid system before we work on the "fun stuff"...

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

No it's not! Yes it is! I'm telling mommy!

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Seeing that it helps redefine our language, it does not surprise me :) Things like that usually are discussed when we conceptualize the game, not close to release...

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What a silly argument.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's actually encouraging that people are so desperate for something to argue about that they've spent 11 pages on a topic of such insignificance.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Exactly ! it shows care for our game, but also our community... sure its uncomfortable, but its a good sign !

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

For marketing, sometimes its best to go with shorter statements... "MMO" of course doesn't entirely describe our game, but sometimes it's the word of choice to use in short advertisements and the like. Don't look into it too much when we use it for these purposes. The design of the game itself and the direction of its development will be your statement of what the game is about, not some word on a piece of paper.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I thought I'd let the rose and the wisp have some more on their own, but soon my inner besserwisser is tingling too much and I'll probably get the topic locked for too much nitpicking.

que sera sera

19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im amazed that you would keep a thread like this open for 11 pages..

But then close one where someone is posting huge frustration with the RNG not feeling right, and just quickly closing that as people are starting to compare notes. Man 1 guy actually asked for proof of someones data, and they posted. God forbid they actually got to have 11 pages to discuss why the RNG feels off, but we can read 11 pages of this garbage.
    And this is why the forum so rarely tackles real concerns anymore.

Preachyr and LoneStranger like this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I agree, persistence has to be a key difference. Even if the google definition doesn't go into that detail. The capacity of a zone/instance is not so much of a factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.