Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Are We Testing The Game Or What?

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

As we approach Launch Day, I am starting to become a little concerned that the mad (and I DO mean MAD) race to get "all the things" and establish a pecking order has overtaken the primary purpose of our being here, which is to test the game.

While I wouldn't purport to tell players how to play the game, I would like to take the opportunity to give some feedback to the dev team.

First off... I hear of many people expressing an intention to "save" their quest reset until long after Launch. I believe this is NOT a good thing for a number of reasons, the first of which is that all those people will not be actually testing all the recent quest work which means less feedback and less opportunity to make important improvements before Launch.

In addition, I don't think it is a good idea that players who have established a certain reputation for their Avatar be able to so easily clear their virtue history months or years after Launch.

However, on the flip side, I will say I think the idea of "residual karma" is a bad idea, and a bit overzealous on the part of @Lord British. Again... Since we are supposed to be TESTING THE GAME I can see no good reason why players should feel worried or concerned about any kind of karmic consequences from actions that their Avatar took before Launch. Nor do I believe that it was DISCLOSED to players that this would be the case when we volunteered to TEST THE GAME.

For these reasons, I would like to formally request that @DarkStarr implement an expiry date for the quest reset of 30 days past Launch Day, and that it also be considered that the reset clears ALL karma.

A second concern is hearing about players unwillingness to test out PvP and pickpocket mechanics due to fears about potentially losing their gear. While I do agree that ransoms are a bit high right now, the bigger problem in my mind is the increasing number of players running around with endgame-class gear before Launch.

The end result is less risk taking, less exploring new lower level zones cuz "gotta grind for that arti suit" and again LESS VALUABLE FEEDBACK for the dev team to work with to really get this game nicely polished before Launch Day.

For this reason, I will suggest that @Chris implement a repair moratorium on all gear starting 30 days past Launch Day whereby any wearable items acquired before Launch lose the ability to be repaired.

In closing, and before you, the reader, CHOOSE to respond to this post with knee-jerk fear and rage over the potential loss of your "digital assets" or your carefully laid master plan to lord over all Novia by Launch Day, please take a few moments to consider what might be actually BEST FOR THE GAME and for the love of Sequanna please take into consideration the NEW PLAYERS who will be coming in post-Launch, and how we can best support giving them a kick-ass game to play for many years to come.

Because, after all, if we cannot retain new players, there will be no Shroud for any of us.

Thanks for reading. And if you don't like my proposed solutions, please- by all means- SUGGEST SOME OF YOUR OWN that you would find more preferable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

For this reason, I will suggest that @Chris implement a repair moratorium on all gear starting 30 days past Launch Day whereby any wearable items acquired before Launch lose the ability to be repaired.

But some people paid real cash or save up a ton of coin to buy some good stuff, and some players have built up stuff for months to get what they have. I think this would just be a huge kick in the teeth.

By Tor, Chatele, Fister Magee and 8 others like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'd say your premise is off.

We are not here to test. We are here as part of the test. A cog in a machine being tested.

smack, 2112Starman, Stundorn and 3 others like this.
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Six of one, half dozen of the other. If players are just running the same loops over and over again and not exploring new content, then they are not making good "cogs" IMO.

Chatele and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I agree with both of you guys. I really wish they would do some sort of reset. Put the claimed lots where they were, let people save their houses so that they can put everything back if they want. Let people restart with absolutely nothing if they want but give them an XP pool the size of what they had (skills that they bought and everything.)
    I know that would be a database nightmare but that is on them for starting persistance so early. How many items are there ou there that are irreplaceable? Well, other than things like the Master of the Forge items? What would you lose that would make you do the curly shuffle if it went away in a wipe?

Dominor666 and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  6. Selene

Selene Avatar

A big part of game design is economic balance and long term market stability. If those cogs are playing the way they intend to play in the future... it's valuable data.

7. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

For what purpose? To lord their endgame gear over others and discourage new players from getting into the game? Isn't it enough you have a several hundred million XP lead, and whatever hoardes of non-wearable items of value you've already acquired?

1. Players would otherwise still need to grind for essences or make COTO repairs to keep the gear in play.

2. There will be new gear to grind for anyway.

3. Maybe could compensate players with some sort of program where players turn in their used up legacy gear to the Oracle for full ransom value.

Dominor666 likes this.
  8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

A fair point. Though it sounds incredibly boring to me, I can concede some players will likely choose to spend all of Episode 1 running the same loops they are doing now. I mean- that's fine- but I would still say let's not indirectly incentivize it with these other policies.

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I sort of agree. Personally, I think this doesn't go far enough, and the reset should be automatic the first time a player logs in after Launch.

Mykll and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am not thinking from my perspective, but for those who paid real cash. I know a person who has spent over $2500 on gear. Just think how much real money in total has been spent? Your going to lose those players, players who probably have spent a lot of money on the game. New players do join already established games all the time, most games I have played I started well after the game was already launched. I don't play games to sit there and compare myself with others then feel down because they have more, I play because its better then TV, with multiplayer games you get to talk to people from around the world and I find it fun and entertaining.

And to add, I dont have perfect gear other then a few pieces, I have made better stuff for other people, for example I do not have max int with avoidance carapacian pants, but Cryo got me to make his and his got max int with avoidance and is even exceptional.

11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Wow! Nearly 17 mil gold on gear? Sounds like a shopping problem to me! I'm assuming this individual doesn't actually USE all that gear...

Nor do I think we should be making decisions based on a handful of edge cases. We need to think about acquiring and retaining new players, or this game will go bust.

But anyway what is your thought on people being too scared to flag because of the potential to lose their gear? What do you think would be a proper incentive for players to engage with these PvP and pickpocket mechanics?

I've got about the same amount into the game, but personally I thought it would be foolish to put it all into gear. I did shell out nearly 1 mil gold to seed Jaan's Earth Emporium but sadly it has no customers.

Just from my perspective- not having a lot to lose- I feel more free to test out these mechanics, and think it unfortunate that people are so skittish about losing stuff before Launch.

12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Some spent $2500 on gear!? Can you give me an example of what that was? I must be really out of touch.

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

lich ring, max stat bronze bone armor, like pretty much everything for 3 characters.

2112Starman and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

BTW would it be safe to assume y'all have no issue with the first suggestion about the quest reset?

Vladamir Begemot and Mac2 like this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep, quest reset thing I can see why and agree with.

16. 3devious

3devious Avatar

For me, I have no issues. I hate questing and if it isn't done by now (which is everything) it's probably not going to happen. Would like to maximize my XP gain but I pretty much want to do everything but play the story. For the avatars that are into it, they might have good feedback on the best way to do the reset. As far as testing the game, I spend most of my time looking for things that causes glitches with the graphics cards/audio and performance.

17. 3devious

3devious Avatar

aaand that is why I tell Obs that good gear is like pearls before swine with me.

18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

This is what happens when you mix RMT + over 1.5 years persistence + no wipes. It would have been an easy thing to do a wipe at release but keep houses in same lots and any cash shop and telethon items sent to the bank. Portalarium claims they wanted persistence to do better game testing. But that has no bearing on release. As people should no longer be testing then. That is what your QA is for. Was it 2 weeks that was a bad idea for new skills head start, but this long of a persistence is somehow good?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Have to agree with Mac2 on the gear.. as stupid as I think it is to actually spend money that way.. but then I don't have that kind of money to spend anyway. I guess if you can afford it then spend it however you like, but that's not really the point. But I also agree decisions shouldn't be dictated by edge cases.

Unfortunately, Portalarium has pretty much established that there won't be a character reset (or have they not officially stated ages ago?). I personally think they should have stated where will be a character reset at launch... not applicable to homes/lots or items mind you.. but all skills, quests and XP.

20. oplek

oplek Avatar

They've also said they want a stable economy at release, which wiping at release could not accomplish.

Chatele, Elwyn, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.