Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Are you aware at Portalarium that there are players elsewhere than USA ?

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Kliirkast, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

... or maybe you do not care at all ?

Keyboard config ignoring the OS language settings (well, OK, this has been somewhat solved, program remembers the settings now)
    Most interesting events taking place at very inconvenient hours for non-USA zones.
    Localization project on halt since several months, without any sign that it will be restarted, sooner of later
    and now the keys indications under the small non-combat utility bar do not even remotely make any sense if you're not using an US-keyboard. I guess it would have been too simple to check in the OS (at least I'm sure it's possible in Windoze) which keyboard the user is using.

Pffff... disappointments are pilling up in this department.

Kliirkast

AvatarGG, liz_the_wiz and ZeCarlos like this.
  2. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Hi
    I am also not from or living in the US but didn't find keyboard mapping an issue. Changing key binding is easy.
    With regards to events- the majority of the player base is in the US and at least player events are taking place in the local time zone. There are events taking place at CET as far as I know. Perhaps you can launch events on your own.
    I don't expect Official events in a pre-release state catering for other time zones, the cost is in no relation to the benefit.

Last and least - I was taken a bit by surprise by your tonality. Key mapping can be a nuisance (one that we can change) but from the developers statements it is very clear that they are aware of their international clients and supporters.

Stundorn, Chatele, Kara Brae and 3 others like this.
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Well......I think the vast majority of other world players are appreciative of their efforts to include as many as they can regardless of location..

They do the Post Mortem's usually around 8-10pm uk time....which is there time of 2-4pm missing out on the prime time for US players and missing a big proportion that would be watching.

They do the monthly dance party on a Friday at 8-10pm uk time....which is there time of 2-4pm missing out on the prime time for US players and missing a big proportion that would be watching.....And the person that does it i believe her time is midday - 2pm...

Seems to me the main events they do they try an include the majority even if it is not the most optimal time for US players and at a time for them that isn't ideal for certain events...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

As a work in progress game, sometimes things will break. They can't always get things working right the first time for 100% of users.

You have to break some eggs to make an omelette.

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, as from Germany, there are moments, I understand you, Kliirkast.
    At one Telethon I kept awake the half night, waiting for price dropping for prosperity tools. It came, in the morning, as I was on my way to work and couldn't buy at this moment :(
    I couldn't receive the reduction and so I bite my tongue and bought them at full prize. There are always moments (just in real life) things look better for others than for us.
    Like the price reduction of Richard's new book only for residents of the U.S. ;)
    Or the raffles, I did the last time because of loosing all the hard earned playgold ...
    But the keys for the non-combat utility are working fine (win 10).
    The developer can't think on everything for us: they aren't God ;)

But don't forget: no one wants to anger us ;) And I am in good hope, that such technical things like keyfunctions or too bright spell irritations (watch this thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/positive-things-in-the-new-r.81176/) will be solved in this great progress of game development :)

As I said before: take it like Bobby McFerrin told us: "Don't worry, be happy!" :)
    And if you like him, take time to listen to his album: spirityouall ...
    There is a song called: "I shall be released" :)
    There are a lot of ways to release something or to be released ...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I AM a US player and cannot participate in many events due to timing. Telethons and Post Mortems and other livestreams where they do giveaways? All during working hours. Can't hang out in the chat at the office.

Chatele, Kara Brae, uhop and 9 others like this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i'm not sure all port's staff is actually in america. @tphilipp?

tphilipp likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Tassilo is in France, I think.

Not sure why you would think the staff-ran events are US-orient. All their post mortems happened while I'm at work (on the East Coast of US). If anything, it's the EU folks who get to watch the stream at night.

As far as players' interesting events. Well... that's up the players, not the dev team to decide what time they want to run the events. For my case,I couldn't attend any of the weekend ones due to family obligations anyway.

No comment on non-US keyboard issue..

tphilipp, Chatele, Jens_T and 3 others like this.
  9. Selene

Selene Avatar

I find (especially on the weekends) there are plenty of events that take place at times people could attend even if they are from other places. I miss out on most of the telethons, the release parties, and the post-mortems because I have to work, and I live in the US.

Cordelayne, uhop, zyxe and 1 other person like this.
  10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

As a brit, I managed to attend the dance part this evening my time, and it wasnt on that late, however, its also friday and this is a night I can stay up. I start work between 7am and 7.30am, so staying up till 2 for something, cant happen unless Im on holiday.

Maybe we as non US people need to start hosting some events earlier in the day for us, and maybe those at home US times so we can attend them!

What events do we want?

[​IMG]

Chatele, Numa, Selene and 1 other person like this.
  11. Paladin Michael

12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

It was in port pheonix around 5 hours ago ish I think 2pm CST I think it was, so it was 8pm GMT

13. Paladin Michael

thank you for the information, liz. Is it there regularly?

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

dunno :) it was in the announcements when i logged in today, dancy party at 2pm.. and then 8 mins to go you need to patch.. so off I went to go join the fun.. we had a giant clockwork monkey and dragon to play with, so, maybe.

I know its not uncommon to have a post patch party at some point.. problem is when is it on and can we make it.

But as I said.. nothing stops us putting up an event at a time for euros, australians etc, after all, its not done to exclude us, but just its always going to be the wrong time for someone, somewhere...

Sir_Michael likes this.
  15. Paladin Michael

@liz, you're so right :) Have a good time!

16. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

I'm not talking about key binding. I'm talking about the signs attached under the icons in the small bar : !@#$%... etc, you can't change that.

That's exactly what I meant.
    It would be a big schedule improvement if those events were placed at different time each time, like once at a convenient hour for US, next time at a convenient hour for EU, then for AUS, rince repeat.

And what about the localization project ?

17. Selene

Selene Avatar

Most of the Port sponsored events (post mortems, telethons, etc) take place during their work day. The devs are a small team with families and lives of their own, so they can't very well throw parties 24 hours a day! I'd love if they were later in the day so I could see more of them, but I understand their situation.

All the post mortems and things are recorded so you can watch them later. (Which I have to do myself due to my schedule).

As for player events, if you feel there are not enough during your play hours, you should start some! Look at who is typically online in your friends list during those times and recruit them to help you!

uhop likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

The Asian timezone.is particularly problematic since the Beijing/Singapore/Manila time is 14 hours ahead of Texas time. Having events organized by players living in this timezone is the most practical approach specially since even Australia is just 3 hours ahead of our time period.

Most online games I know have events organized into 3 groupings- US, Europe and Asia.

19. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Then it really is about time we outside the US stepped up and made our own - so far, no ones answered what events they want.. Im not excactly known for my social skills, Im not a party dood, but, I can email in to port to put it on the board, we all can.. I have a crafting set but no GM skills for people to leech better skills off.. but we can do something..

I guess main choices would be

post patch party
    skill party
    dungeon diving

then all we need to do is get a schedule going..

Numa likes this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Instead of emailing Port to put it on the board, please post the event the month prior here - http://avatarscircle.com/calendar.html

Port will look at that calendar and include all events in the in-game book and you may be featured as an "event of the week". :)

That is where I post my events.

Numa and Lady Cind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.