Armor: Informative Video

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Miracle Dragon, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Padded Gambeson, Aketon, brigandeen vs. studded leather, buff coat.

I just ran across this great video and thought we could use some of it in SoTA

iansmellios likes this.
  2. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

I don't believe this guy! He's talking about "mail armor"! As if that had ever been a thing! People sticking letters to their bodies. Ridiculous! Shenanigans!

FrostII and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Haha! :D Well, I do have some disagreements with what he says. He tries to say there was no evidence, nor any real good reason to use leather armor in the middle ages. But just because he didn't think of good reasons doesn't mean there weren't any. It seems to me that cloth armor could be a lot of trouble in the rain, or when crossing a creek, because maybe it would soak up the water and become quite heavy. Also it would be more prone to burning when opponents attack with fire. Leather armor could be more resistant to fire and water than both metal and cloth armors I think. Also, leather that gives the same quality protection as well padded cloth, is probably a bit lighter, and more maneuverable depending on its design. So I still think leather might be preferred for those who depend more on agility in their fighting style?

Ah well, thanks for checking it out.

FrostII likes this.
  4. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

There's actually a number of possible explanations why padded armor feels underrepresented in game and movies.
    1. It doesn't look that badass.
    2. Plate Armor and probably Chainmail are worn above some kind of Gambeson, so the resulting armor rating (in games) counts the plate/chain PLUS what you're wearing under it. Since you have 1 "body armor" slot in most games the inner armor just isn't mentioned, but only the outer part. Simplifying things is often needed in games.
    3. Leather armor with different leather types works well with hunting and gathering in a tiered armor system. Good system > realism.

There's probably a lot more reasons why this isn't THE thing in games and/or movies. In the end the question is: What could be accomplished by giving the Gambeson more value in a game? If it's just for reaslim's sake... please don't :)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.