Armour durability mechanic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scanphor, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Do we have any hard info on how the maths works for this? (or just speculation? :p)

I'm in particular interested in understanding how durability multipliers for plate etc then interact with the bonuses you can put on crafted items and the negative effects on some of the heavy armour skills like body slam. "-100% durability effectiveness" doesn't really tell us anything useful - does that take plate effectively down from its 300% multiplier down to 200% so its as durable as chain if you are using these skills? or wipe it all the way down to zero?

Thanks

FrostII, FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My armor costs big buck$, so I stay away from Body Slam because there's so many other ways to hurt what I'm hitting without damaging my armor so much. But I don't have any data to support that.
    ~TL~

Cordelayne and Scanphor like this.
  3. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

At 100% durability effectiveness your gear will not take damage

Scanphor, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The character I use as a tank has 100 in the armor durability skill, is that what you're talking about?
    I've always been too scared of large armor damage caused through Body Slam, because it was once bugged where each 3rd or 4th Body Slam would take on 80% damage to the armor I was wearing.
    That bug is suppose to be fixed, but I'd hate that happening to the expensive armor I now wear on my tank.
    ~TL~

Scanphor likes this.
  5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yup - exactly my take too. Scan is wearing an epic plate set he crafted himself with exactly the MWs and enchants I wanted and no failures - I think that took an average of 10-15 attempts for each piece and I shudder to think what all the gold and silver etc it took to make that set would be worth ;)

6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

That is useful info at least thanks - so with the preservation skill @ GM (25%), obs pot (25%), blessing of maintenance (25%) and a few % from gear that is heading towards 80% effectiveness (assuming the math is that these add linearly) and taking about 20% of the base damage, divided by 3 for the plate dura multiplier I guess.

The open question then is what the -100% from the skills does to that.

Edit - assuming it simply wipes out the reduction from the above effectiveness calc it would multiply damage taken by 5 potentially

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  7. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

It does what the tooltip days it does

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Which is ambiguous - I could think of several ways it could be applied mathematically to the mechanics, hence my query :p

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  9. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Sum your modifiers. The equipments effectiveness is a separate function.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Assumption or what's your source?

And also - if the -100% say takes us from 80% to -20%, does that apply as a 20% increase in damage over base or does it just stop at zero?

11. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Running some numbers on those assumptions, if we say base damage taken is 100%, and we say typically we have GM preservation skill, Obs pot and blessing all 25% each that takes us to 75% reduction or damage taken 25%.

If we just subtract the 100% from body slam that takes us from 25% damage to 125% damage - basically taking 5x the damage you would otherwise take

If we worked the same math without the pot or blessing it would be 75% damage increasing to 175%, an increase of 2.3x the damage taken

Either way I don't see me using those skills ;)

12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I don't mind wearing down my gear. I just throw in some COTOs to do a major repair and it's all good.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

People are afraid of bodyslam... We use it all the time, and I've made about 6 billion xp or more in the last year with the same set of armor. You get hit a lot less when things are stunned.

FBohler, Scanphor and Time Lord like this.
  14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yeah I understand what you're saying, and if they hadn't both nerfed the effectiveness of and increased the cost of COTO repairs I'd be less bothered tbh. Just strikes me as a pretty lame mechanic to have in the skills in a game where gear takes permanent irreparable damage.

15. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

As opposed to gear that lasts forever.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Crafting Game. If armor lasts forever, then blacksmithing takes an income or need for it hit.
    I remember when coto repair was a highly debated subject and thought to be a world ender if we did, and a world ender if we did not.
    Everything ever debated here in our game almost always get's framed as world ending.
    I still am :( That run in with that bug caused all my chrs to switch to ranged and area attacks for a very long time.
    [​IMG]
    I may find myself including it again with such positive feedback
    ~Time Lord the Brave~:D

Scanphor likes this.
  17. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yeah this is true of course, and as a crafter I clearly benefit if things break more too :D Having said that over the years I've replaced my gear most often because I've been able to make / buy better stuff than stuff getting completely trashed, except for some of the weapons I've used over the piece which have had a few COTO repairs then been replaced usually. (oh and the set that got completely trashed by that cabalist back when they got introduced, I forget the name - wasn't happy when that happened lol)

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  18. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Not suggesting it should - having specific skills or encounters that can permanently accelerate gear getting trashed though is quite different

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Let's be honest, if you paid more than 10k in any piece of gear, major repair with COTOs is way less expensive than trashing it and buying a new one. So major repairs are just a sink for COTOs. Now with the Imbued Gems/Jewels, which alone can cost hundreds of thousands igg, gear socketed with the right Gem/Jewel will never be trashed.

FrostII, Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The effectiveness of repairing with crowns was recently reduced?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.