Arrows, arrows, and more arrows

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Haz, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haz

Haz Avatar

So, as an archer, I liked the idea of a few different arrows to do special stuff when they are fired. I'm not particularly liking the idea that I must have that particular arrow to use that type of shoot. What are there now, 5 different type of arrows? What are we gonna do about the weight of them? When using my archer, I use alot of arrows....I can't imagine I'm gonna be allowed to carry 1000, 500, or even 250 of each arrow that is available. Weight would be crippling!!

What do ya think is gonna be done?

Could be the good ole "Quiver cuts weight" thing, but even then.....I think what I would like would be more along the lines of different arrows "enhancing" the current shot list, instead of requiring certain arrows just so you can use that skilled shot.

Albus, Montaigne, cartodude and 7 others like this.
  2. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

The most logical from both a realistic and gameplay point of view is that you will be carrying about 200 in total and how you mix the different types will be up to you but you will probably only be carrying 2 or 3 types of arrows.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I second this idea. Performing a special move with a standard arrow should be possible, but using a special arrow should make it work better.

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This is the direction they are going with reagents and spells. The argument holds true in both cases, so I definitely agree with being consistent within the systems.
    If you don't need a special reagent for a spell you shouldn't need a special arrow for a shot.
    Likewise if a spell effect is increased by having the correct reagent, then a shot effect should be increased by having the right type.

5. Arillia

Arillia Avatar

Just give me my Magic Bow from Ultima 5! ;-) no arrows needed.

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I had suggested elsewhere the idea of specialized equipment mods that enhance specific skills, this could easily be added to arrows. Perhaps you could carry arrows that enhance your FAVORITE shot, but can still be used on all the others when needed (perhaps with a penalty to skills that diametrically oppose the enhanced skill).

For example, if your favorite shot causes a stacking bleed, serrated arrowheads would work better, but wouldn't do so well with a staggering shot, since technically that calls for a blunted arrowhead.

royalsexy, Leos, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  7. Haz

Haz Avatar

My basic problem, at this point, is that I'm gonna be carrying so many arrows, and different types of arrows, that I'm not gonna be able to carry anything else. 200 arrows, unless they buff them tremendously is not gonna cut it. One and maybe two big baddies and I'm gonna be out of arrows. Gonna slow everyone down as I rearm, and once the zoning is removed, and it will be removed, there won't be a group out there that's gonna want an archer for long fights.

I'm out and about in the big bad world at the moment so do not have access to a computer, but how do reagents compare to arrows weight wise? Then damage wise? I haven't played a Mage this release, but are they in the same boat as archers?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

First, I'm not really sure why people think an archer is a class that should be able to stand on its own, without either hand-to-hand weapon skills, or a lot of sneaking and rogue skills. "Archer" was never an AD&D class for a reason. Rangers and thief were generally archers. Just like mages will have to split up their skills between different schools of magic, there's nothing wrong with fighters having to split up their skills between different proficiences. One toolset doesn't need to be able to perform every job. Bows and swords perform different jobs. You're going to have a hard time as an archer anyway in a winding cave passage where you have no distance between you and an attacker.

Second, I do think arrows should be buffed up so less are required, though there should be defenses in the game against them.

But I haven't been playing as an archer, so I don't know much about the specialized arrows in the game. Maybe you can help me out?

9. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I'm going to have to say, I really hate it when a game where a single arrow isn't enough to kill an enemy bothers to count ammo at all. Why not just admit that what a bow does in the game has been drastically removed from reality to better suit gameplay in terms of range, damage, rate of fire and so forth, and go just that tiny step further to saying that carrying hundreds of arrows really doesn't add anything to the game.

Albus, Heradite, Shadoweaver and 3 others like this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i am with the people up there, i think there should be "no arrows" here something i propose........

Archers dont need arrows! all they need is a bow, here's the reasoning behind it, archer is the only type of character that needs many of one arrow or another!
    Also on top of that the bow needs to be repaired and upkeeped!
    So whats the use of having special arrows? Just make those arrows the Skills an archer picks,
    One of the reasons i have stayed away from the bow is because, you have to collect all these different types of arrows to do any damage really!
    If you set this type of character next to the others, the only other type would be Mages, since they have to keep restocking regs (the difference is, even if they don't have the number of regs they need, they can still do damage with any of their spells!!
    Swords, Pole arm, and Bludgeons dont need to collect anything just up keep their gear and weapons!

they should make those type of arrows, exploding, bodkin etc.. into skills under Bow/archery, example; exploding arrow, armor peircing arrow, lightening arrow, poison arrow, etc,,, for the skills along with many shot, running shot etc... with all the other skills for bow.
    the archer will still have to keep repairing the bows they have, and keep fixing thee armor they wear. In turn crafters should be able to make special bows for the archer, bow of fire, bow of ice, bow of lightening etc....

Thats just my thought on it.

I think more would enjoy it, and more would play it if it was set up that way.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Me I think that arrows that "hit" it's target should be added to the loot of the target.
    With a RNG for broken/reduced durability. At least you should have the arrow head.
    This way you can restock when looting but not usually during combat. Reducing the need to go home.

12. Shadefox

Shadefox Avatar

I kinda agree with the OP, but I side with the fletchers on this one. All games I tried with somewhat decent player driven economy and crafting, usually end up going out of work due to skills and stats taking out the need in the end.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

At the very least they need to drop the weight of the arrows a LOT for when encumbrance goes in. I haven't seen any items that weigh less than a pound so I hope their system supports weights less than a pound. Fairly sure most arrows are like a tenth of a pound each, not a full pound. You'd be crushed by the weight of the giant stack of the 1 pound arrows they have now if you carried anywhere close to enough to kill more than a mob or two now.

Time Lord, KuBaTRiZeS and blaquerogue like this.
  14. Ridd2

Ridd2 Avatar

or just add conjured arrows or bolts where the character creates basic ammo on the fly

Numa, Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I have to agree with this. I only had to play an archer for about two minutes before I realized that this is going to be a problem. I say the different arrow type can add damage but that the skills should work regardless of the arrow type.

16. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

One other thing I noticed is that without the proper arrows I cannot use my skills and without my skills active I cannot initiate an attack on an enemy. I can highlight them but nothing happens until I use one of my skills. With most of my archery skills grayed out without the special arrows, I'm forced to sit there and watch my enemy run toward me while I wait for my regular arrow skill to appear.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Haz

Haz Avatar

Hey there Redfish,

So, as a ranged weapon user, I should also have to use a melee skill? Why? I don't care if a pure archer is in AD&D or not, I'm playing SotA. That sounds mean and rude of me to say it that way, but I tried a number of different ways and I can't get the point across the other ways, it's not supposed to be rude or trollish. (Yes, I would like to be a stealthy, near invisible rogue-ish, ranger-ish type)

I'm an archer, and if I stand there and don't move while the baddie attacks me, it's my own fault that I die. My archer moves....he moves alot....stop, fire, fire, move....stop, fire, move. Yes, at times it gets somewhat tedious. If, and when, arrows do the amount of damage they should be doing, then I won't have to spend so much time moving, but it is what it is at the moment, but I NEVER want to be able to just stand there and not risk damage or death. As to a magic user splitting up their skills in different schools of magic, it's still all magic, and all of it is ranged (isn't it, I haven't played a mage this release). They still do not have (and shouldn't have to have) a melee skill, and they survive the same way an archer does, stick and move. Having to move around keeps me on my toes, makes me watch my surroundings.

The arrows, or shots, are still way underpowered....when I spend 1 to 2 minutes, just to kill a lower level wolf (and my archery skills are all maxed out), it's just too much. The only way to up my killing level is to stack shoots, and again, that's ok. But the 2 stack isn't doing it, it has to be a 3 stack or bigger to make a noticeable difference. And then I'm not sure it's actually worth it, gonna have to do some number crunching and testing to see for sure.

When I'm out resource gathering or leveling, I'm usually carrying about 500-750 normal arrows and 300-500 of each of the special arrows. Good thing there's no weight limits yet, lol. And no, I don't use all of them, get bored before that happens, but I do use 100 to half of each type of arrows I carry. That would still be way too many arrows to carry.

Please, I wasn't trying to be rude in the beginning of this post, just no other way to say it.

Haz

Syylk, TroubleMagnet and Time Lord like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

We pretty much agree, don't we? Arrows should be more powerful, but if you don't want to use stealth to avoid melee and rely on avoiding melee to survive, which you should be able to do, you're naturally going to have to use melee.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Either that or supplement your archery with short range spells (like discharge, death touch, death field, etc.) ;) Yeah, carrying around 2,000 or so arrows, like we are forced to do now, will be impossible once encumbrance kicks in :( Running back to the nearest town constantly to restock would not be very practical either :eek: I agree with everyone else that arrows really need to inflict a lot more damage than they do now, especially if you are forced to buy specialized ones :D

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Of course, the odd thing is that if you run out of normal arrows, you can still fire one when the aimed shot glyph (which clearly indicates "0" arrows) pops up on your combat toolbar. (That's happened to me a couple of times. Believe me, 500 arrows of each type can go really fast when you're trying to level up :eek:) Hmm... o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.