Arrows, arrows, and more arrows

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Haz, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albus

Albus Avatar

I personally favour keeping ammunition in the game for crafting & immersion purposes, but feel glyphs in general should not require special arrows (with possible rare exceptions for burst shot or such), such that archer rate of fire is not impacted by running out of some particular type of arrow. An arrow recovery system clearly needs implemented as well, though existing traits in the archery tree set to increase arrow recovery clearly show that development is intended to include some system of at least partial arrow recovery. I also agree with others that arrows should have more punch so you need not unleash your entire quivier to kill a foe, and like the idea of quivers reducing the encumbrance of arrows.

With the current system, being unable to use a full range of archery glyphs because one runs out of specialty arrows seems problematic in terms of gameplay and unrealistic as well (in effect rate of fire or an archer is reduced when he runs out of specialty arrows?) I would presume armour piercing shot as a glyph/skill represents aiming for joints in armour and such, with whatever arrow was at hand rather than just firing a specialty (bodkin) arrow. I favour the suggestion of others that arrow type serve as a general modifier rather than requirement for most types of shot (a bodkin could be used with most shots, but perhaps reducing effective of armour against whatever glyph is used, but say does less damage than a broadleaf arrow or such).

"Burst" shots or other glyphs that may seem impossible with mundane arrows might require special components, for sense of realism, but not sure it is worth the effort at risk again of reducing the rate of fire of archers who run out of specialty arrows. It should at least be possible to maintain a full deck of archery glyphs that do not require specialty arrows so that rate of fire is never dependent upon having a range of arrow types.

If variety of ammunition is available and not tied to specific glyphs, there would need to be a mechanism allowing the archer to select which type of arrow is used at a given time (such that the archer could switch to bodkins against an armoured target for example, and back to some other sort against unarmoured foes), which may be one reason why arrow types are currently tied to glyphs; but I think it would be worth the effort to add some means of cycling through arrow types or such. At the least a type of arrow could be associated with each deck a player sets up, with that arrow type used in preference when available, but once depleted the archer should automatically use whatever remaining type of arrows are available. This would prevent the archer from standing around implausibly firing nothing even when he has a quiver brimming with the "wrong" type of arrows.

Tahru likes this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I LOVE THIS....

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ThurisazSheol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.