Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Art: Embarrassed Load Screen

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Bom, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bom

Bom Avatar

When I see this load screen the first thing I notice is the embarrassed statue covering up her chest, which doesn't look right at all for a statue. It's like someone was trying to cover up nipples but there doesn't need to be nipples. The image would be less strange and annoying if it was more like the SotA Roman statues or the SotA maiden figureheads on the ships as seen below. Or even if it just had a chest piece.

Not a big deal, but I see this load screen quite a bit and each time I do, I roll my eyes at its silliness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I really like this loading screen!

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

replace it with this one!

[​IMG]

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Mabybe she is just protecting her mammary glands? :cool:

Bom, Alley Oop and Montaigne like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Why should all naked statues (or the model that the hypothetical sculptor used as reference) not practice modesty?

The reason why the statues on most ships are the way you describe is because they're supposed to depict sirens; a mythical creature that doesn't have clothing. It'd most likely be very hard to swim around while you're covering your chest.

I actually think the picture in SotA's loading screen shows a sign of maturity that they want to have throughout the whole game. She's a mother figure, not some vixen.

Chatele and Quenton like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Great shot!

Bom likes this.
  7. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

It's a common motif in Mythology (East and West), Art, and Magick.

For example see Botticelli's The Birth of Venus, or the way [Green]Tara is often depicted in Buddhism.
    A study of the work of Joseph Campbell would also be profitable, on not only this subject...

Montaigne and Gix like this.
  8. Zader

Zader Avatar

It leaves something for the imagination, I love that loading screen :)

Montaigne likes this.
  9. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I like how the short melee guy is standing at the back.

Bom likes this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Instead of fixing the loading screen they should finally work on thoose ugly super hardcore bad pixel quality skyboxes... expecially at night...

smack likes this.
  11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Nothing wrong with it IMHO.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Never bothered me, never even really paid enough attention to notice it. Its not clear why the artist chose to depict her like that, but I assume that if he just wanted the breasts covered he could have put some article of clothing on her upper body. @Hermetic Venus is showing modesty because she's naked from just being born and in view of others. Not absolutely clear in this instance why the figure is both 1. topless, and 2. showing modesty.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Bom likes this.
  13. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I find this scene fascinating. I wonder what's the story behind it, who is the statue, what's the nature of that dragon, what was this town and what happened, what's to become of the brave adventurers seemingly against all odds. There's another statue figure in the background similar to the first. It's almost as if she knew that dragon would be crawling up there; or more likely, the dragon was part of the statue and is coming to life?

Bom likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That image is almost directly from a part of the book (sans dragon).

15. Bom

Bom Avatar

I like it too, except that the statue looks like the adventurers just walked in on it while it was changing and it's embarrassed.

To me it looks more immature than mature, like the artist was ashamed of breasts.

I looked these both up and neither is hiding their breasts, they merely have a hand in front of their chests and elicit different feelings than embarrassment. I'd say you're right that The Birth of Venus elicits a feeling of modesty, even though the left breast is not hidden. And the Green Tara seems at peace. The SotA statue on the other hand seems embarrassed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

Which is why I also suggested one look at the work of Joseph Campbell for a study of the symbolism. ( instead of "chest" or "breast" the word "heart" is also often used to
    describe such depictions )

Her expression doesn't suggest to me that she is any way ashamed.
    As to hiding... it is perhaps more that humans are limited in their perceptions of the true depths and nature of The Mother/Goddess/Nature/Creation/Manifestation/Time/Life...
    who in addition to the creative/nurturing aspect(breast) also has another destructive side which may be expressed by the dragon(e.g. see also Kali).

And who knows if the artist is actually [consciously]exploring such ideas and maybe just wanted something that looks cool... ;)

17. Bom

Bom Avatar

It's not the facial expression that portrays embarrassment, it's the action. I do get the sense that in The Birth of Venus she is primarily holding her hand to her heart, though portraying some modesty. The SotA statue does not have an expression on her face of embarrassment, but the placement of her arm and hand directly over her breasts portrays that she is hiding her breasts, it's a steep argument for it portraying anything else, especially since one hand is cupping a breast.

Maybe you're right that the artist was not really paying much attention to the overall expression of the painting, but that's why I'm providing a little feedback. It's hard for me not to when I see it nearly every time I play.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its entirely possible the artist just thought this was a good pose, too. Something for her to do with her hands.

(Btw nothing wrong with nude statues showing modesty, just seems there should be a reason for it, otherwise they'd be clothed).

19. mass

mass Avatar

Really interesting stuff by Campbell; great insight into the human condition and unifying themes among various cultures and religions.

20. mass

mass Avatar

She appears demonic; perhaps it is an attempt at seduction. You may be confusing modesty with an attempt at perpetuating anticipation and titillation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.