1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[As Designed] Unable to create exceptional shield after 9 attempts with 28% chance.

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Sephald, Apr 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephald

Sephald Avatar

The title says it all. I created 9 bronze shields and none of them came out exceptional. My blacksmithing skill is 108, and I am crafting at a +5 blacksmith table with smithing hammer of prosperity. The exceptional chance shows 28%.

28% is a little less than 1/3 chance, so according to my odds, I should have crafted about 3 out of nine attempts exceptional shields. I didn't even get one. This is certainly a bug. If it is intentional, then the 28% is misleading.

2. Toular

Toular Avatar

Statistically I don't see a problem is here ...

You can flip a coin 20 times and only get heads 3 times ...

3. Sephald

Sephald Avatar

A coin has two sides, so flipping should give you a 50/50 chance. Flip it 20 times and you should get heads about 10 times plus or minus a few. My initial report is still a bug as I see it.

One way to fix this is by using the following technique, which I have used in several applications that I have developed.

Suppose you give a 30% chance for success. You randomize a pool of 10 values from 1 to 10 and store it. Example:

3, 7, 5, 9, 2, 10, 1, 4, 6, 8

So during crafting, the first value in the randomization is a 3, so you get an exceptional item.
    The second value is a 7, so it is a regular item. Same with the third and fourth value.
    The fifth value is a 2, and therefor an exceptional item, and so on.

If the skill increases to 40%, then continue with the remaining values in the list using %40.

Once the end of the list is reached, randomize again.

This will make the crafting experience much less frustrating.

Keep the range of the list as short as possible. If I see 28%, then the randomized list should contain 100 values.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.