Attenuated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fungus, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So, just curious- how do groups take on UT? I've not really grouped much. I've considered going to UT and giving it a shot, but I don't want to p*** anybody off. Do AoEs overwrite each other? (Like, if somebody uses their GM meteor shower, and I use my lvl 70ish one, does the stronger one take precedent, the most recent one, or both? Do people plan things out, or is it just a big free-for-all?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Because of attenuation. Now why is there attenuation? To kind keep things in check.

3. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

My understanding is the second cast will overwrite the first one. Most people know this so there is usually only one of every AOE being thrown down. Some times will throw down another AOE further back so not to overwrite the first one and knock off a few monsters in the back. Again, usually there is cohesion, even in PUG groups.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Thanks. I think one of the biggest things keeping me from grouping is showing up and being the disappointment in the group.

Woodchuck and Synergy Blaize like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I support anything that keeps new players playing and long term players grinding, if that's what they like. The more active players of all skill levels the better.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

If you're worried about that, don't play with a very competetive group, find some people that are more casual. Like me :)

7. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

All of the groups I have pugged have been pretty good for the most part. Once in a while you see someone just standing there, so you message them to see if they are AFK long. If so, you boot them out. As long as the leader keeps up the group you should do very well and even give the late comers time to get attuned as well before a break.

Feel free to add me in game, we can always put a solid group together some time!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Witcheypoo, Synergy Blaize and Nikko like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I wouldn't choose to, but I would guess PUGs are hit or miss as to what they are. I have done a little, when Lost Vale started, and those went sort of okay. Mostly they just fell apart quickly, because nobody knew what to expect, and either were in over their heads, or just didn't find it interesting enough to stay. One or two waves in, most people would bale. The upside was I didn't have enough time to suck. :)

Witcheypoo and Synergy Blaize like this.
  9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I would try not to worry about that too much. If you are being smart about your actions, and trying to do as much damage as you can, or heal as best you can, or whatever, then you should be welcome anywhere. I say it is the a-holes that need all players to be perfect that have the problem, and in my experience so far, I have brought both my powerful character, and my somewhat weak alt into Upper Tears groups, and just about everyone I meet is kind and willing to go with it.

I think it is really just about you putting in effort, and using your brain. The people that are not welcome are the scourge that come in and go AFK for the whole time. THAT is totally unacceptable, and everyone can agree on that.

If you're really weak in offensive damage, but you can fire off some nice healing ray, or you can throw down some quality Ice Field to slow the undead in the AOE traps, you're likely going to be well liked in there. Give it a try. It is a blast with all of the people doing jobs to accomplish a common goal.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I can assure you, it's my own anxieties getting in the way far more than my ability. AL90, but sadly also a light armor archer. ;)

11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

There are a TON of people that go ranged in UT and maybe throw a healing ray every now and then. I think you'd be fine. Multi-Shot is actually not terrible now. Did you level that up after Chris finally fixed it (after a year+ of it being sh*t)?

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not yet. My gaming time this past month has taken a severe hit.

13. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Thank YOU @Anvar for making this clarification on my behalf. Yes I am referring to the cave & grouping within!

Yippee!!! Great News!

14. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I am by no means the most savvy & skilled player around... in fact, prior to doing Upper Tears, I had only duo'ed with Husband & could count the number or times that I grouped on one hand.
    Now I group everyday & gravitate towards players that I have met along the way there that are good people & have been very helpful with any of my questions asked during the breaks we take.

Depending on the group members, every group can be different, so I suggest, just go with the flow. If you don't like it, you can always, thank the group & bid them farewell, before leaving.
    Most of the people I have met are awesome, but of course, the more people you meet, you are going to come across some "bad apples"
    > ones who AFK, whilst soaking up the XP due to the work of others & those that don't participate as part of the Team

I was around lvl 80'ish when I did my first group in the Upper Tears Cave. I am now mid 90's.
    Which has been great, because I have been able to level up my primary skills & start adding some new ones, now that I have finally decided which magic trees & skills work best for my play-style.

I have learned a LOT by participating in groups & highly recommend that you start using LFG for Pick Up Groups in the Tears cave.
    Shroud has now become a "Social Game" for me & I love that!
    As I have, over time, you will come to learn the best players suited to your play-style, personality & needs, to have a good time.

Slowly, I am becoming (I think a better &) more educated player. I still have a long way to go, but with the patience & kindness of other group members, I should "get there".

Woodchuck and Nikko like this.
  15. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Don't worry....
    Unless you are a seasoned gamer of many other games, we all suck until we learn!
    & by grouping you will learn a lot by watching others & asking questions. :)

I am an archer too & was anxious about being a burden or getting everyone killed :D
    Just take a chance & give a few groups a try. You really have nothing to lose! @Cora Cuz'avich

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Woodchuck and Witcheypoo like this.
  16. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I hate when people poke me to loot, like there is an point in picking up all that crap to delete then.
    An command to make corpses poof would be fine by me.

17. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

You just focus on the mobs with the highest hp and drag them through the aoe fields

18. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I actually had the opposite on Friday night, some player called Fina 'Tinpotsecondnameyoucouldn'tpronounce' was group leader (genuinely never heard or seen him before) in party mode told me to leave the group as I was a 'ninja looter' I was like erm..... I don't loot, unless being moan at for not hitting the roll button. He then gave me the ultimatum leave or be kicked, I'm like 'dude you've got me confused with someone else' but nether the less I was kicked. In discord my GM who was in group too, chuckled and left too leaving them stranded with 3 players all fairly low.

I did whisper him as everyone stood around to discuss his apparent confusion as I can only think he's seen me post on forums and knows how much I love roleplayers as I've never seen or heard of him in game or on forums but he didn't deem to reply even though I was very polite. Upside though was I started a group and we were attenuated within 15mins.

I've done a lot of PUG's and always try to be courteous and thank folks as I leave but I do call out lazy people, but really loot in Upper Tears? there's only so many candles one can carry.

So for anyone doing PUG's watch out Killing Joke is apparently a ninja looter *sigh*

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Well I hope you make true of that sarcastic statement, all the unlooted corpses clutter my screen....

Witcheypoo and Fungus like this.
  20. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

With auto roll on and set to 50gp it really doesn't mattter who loots. This way no worries about ninija looters and if you dont want the junk you can delete it after the final wave

Synergy Blaize and Fungus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.