ATTN Devs: You give me facts I give you $$$, easy right?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Legenis, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legenis

Legenis Avatar

I think you owe it to your fan base to let them know where you stand on PVP and looting of players. Start a poll, official thread, read every cry for attention in the forums/chat, whatever you need to do for determining where your fan base stands. And please let us know or update us when you will inform us. Sure you will take a numbers hit once a decision has been made, but it?s better than treating your fans like EA by shafting them after collecting their money.

Lord British, I have only the most respect for you and your products, but I think its time the vale is lifted.

Thank you.

PS: I will personally put the pledge at 1.2 million (current 1.1987) if you give Open world Full PVP w/ loot. I am sure there are many standing where I am waiting for this one question to be answered before throwing in their cash.

2. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

They can't legally have polls until after Kickstarter because of some dumb rule.

3. Glimbel

Glimbel Avatar

Didn't they said many times they would be no Open world full PvP nor full loot ?
    Well, not sure, but I remember that from videos and stuff many times.

4. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Sorry Legenis but when you compared RG's kickstarter approach to EA's sales tactics you totally discredited yourself. Get educated, watch some of their interview videos or read some of the transcripts out there before spouting off your "claims"

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's not a one to one relationship. There at the moment almost 17000 contributors. They are taking input, which is why we are here. There making announcements, giving interviews, but it is still early days.

6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

My pledge is staying @$25 until they take a stand. They tell me what I want to hear and it goes to $80. OP is being truthful. They are trying to grease every possible gear.

7. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I'm staying at 515.00, some days I second guess & think about canceling, then I remember who is doing this & that he got it right (imo) far more times than wrong, If I am wrong, then that's fine, but I'll have had fun for many months in the pre-release just talking about all the possibilities. I've spent far more into the vehicle I drive without a thought really for a month or 2 of gas. This is not just about the game, even though that alone is worth it, this is about the chance to be in on the building of it! also all the RL trinkets.
    I fully don't expect to love everything about this game, they can't please me fully & everyone else fully at the same time. It might even cost me a new keyboard (after I smash mine from frustration) & that's ok too.

8. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

Its not written in stone what they will or won't do which is why they haven't said anything. There seems to be a variety of players which makes me believe we are going to get something somewhere in between if both options arent offered in some way or another.

...but yes im sure a lot of PvPers are holding off on the big funding until they hear more. Im really surprised there has not been a PvP stretch goal. If they put one out there that was good (example: separate PVP server) then we would really get an idea of what people want.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

I suspect the dev's aren't entirely sure how they want to handle PvP yet. They want a bulletproof system so they won't be 'surprised' again.

10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think that it is reasonable for you to opt out of donating in KS if you have doubts. With that said; a couple of comments:

1 - You may not get the benefits of donating once the window is closed.
    2 - Message boards are typically 10% or so of the entire population of a game; at this point, there are 17k+ contributors, but I doubt if 1700 are posting right now, so any poll would be of somewhat dubious accuracy.
    3 - Stop trying to bully my dev team! The game isn't going to be released for at least 18 months! Alpha isn't even starting until 12/2013!
    4 - Relax!

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I want an official stand but I'll only give you more money if you give me what I want?

I don't know.. I think their stance has been pretty clear so far. It's only how they're going to impliment that is still undecided. There is not going to be a complete UO-style free for all. They've made that very clear. There will be PvP.. they've made that very clear also. They want PvP situations to be story driven as much as possible.. that's clear. They want it set up where it's voluntary to get yourselves into that position. Also clear.

This is their current stance. It's what they're going to try to do unless they change their minds along the way. Which btw isn't going to happen if the hardcore PvPers say "I'll give you some more money if you do it my way".

12. Legenis

Legenis Avatar

This "voluntary" PVP sounds exactly like Darkness Falls in DAoC. And don't get me wrong DF was great ... for DAoC. That would be boring in an Ultima game.

Now as far as sitting back and waiting for them to make a decision, let me ask everyone posting here a question.

Scenario:
    You hire a dev team with your money and invest millions of dollars into remaking the Ultima series as another online game. You and your team have probably put a good 6 months to a year into the production of this game before going public. During this time you have thought of new concept ideas such as selective-multi-player, seasonal weather, immersion, etc. You and your team have now created a working prototype of the game with monsters, combat, spells, and moongates! You start a kickstart fund raiser, with mass updates about many of the games features, even down to the details for the room to killing children to include Susan Kath, lead design of Tabula Rasa. You have currently raised 1.25 million dollars via crowdsourcing.

Question that every person here should ask themselves:

Do you think during this full time frame, they did not know exactly how they want PVP to work in this game?

Sure they can always change their ideas, listen to the people, bla bla bla. However, I for one want to know what they intend to do with PVP, whether the idea changes or not. I want know the ideas of the veterans creating this masterpiece. I want to know what Chris Spears was going to say in developer podcast (kickstarter update #4) @ 50 mins in when he said to Richard "Do you want to talk about PVP or should we hold them in suspense more?"

13. chiromancer

chiromancer Avatar

Given that in the interview with Matt Barton (http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/25/garriott-talks-shroud-of-the-avatar-story-questing-and-mechani/) RG said he had no plans for offline SP game and after he thought a thousand or so people wanted this, the system already supported it, so he decided to enact it.

Why not do the same for open PVP. The issue at hand is to prevent the mixing of economies, as PVE only economy will have a surplus of materials. I know RG wants to limit pre-play choices, so this could either be an exception (to make an open PVP toon at the onset), an option after you complete the 40hour main game (new character or reincarnate your current one w/o gear or supplies), or some other means for a oneway character migration to open PVP w/full loot.

The arguments are bountiful that the market doesn't support open PVP, that no other big MMO has open PVP since early UO (EVE is sort of an exception). I'll argue this is an invalid argument because no publisher since pre-EA Origin has allowed a game not laden with bugs, poor game play and a lacking storyline (*cough* Conan, Funcom *cough*) that also allowed open PVP.

I think many of us are looking at the ONE guy who did, who invented and pioneered multiple areas of gaming (RP, MMO, PVP), to do it again. Is Open loot, full PVP for everyone? Absolutely not. But I think there are enough of us that want it to justify a mode that is only open PVP, with an open PVP economy and all the good and bad that comes with it. I don't want there to be "second class" characters (PVP or PVE), we can both have our own worlds to be top dogs. If the market doesn't support full PVP, it can be shuttered and the issue laid to rest, but I doubt that it would fail.

14. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

@Legenis: Let me tell you what the poll results will look like based on an educated and not-so-humble guess:

PK's: 10-15% (not vocal, ends up switching from game to game to stay ahead of the "nerf" trend)
    PVP-mostly: 25-35% (not vocal, gets their way for the really important issues)
    PVE-mostly: 35-45% (fairly vocal, gets their way often)
    PVE-only: 10-15% (very vocal, gets their way often)

Richard will do what makes sense. he will try to stick to his own personal ideals and bend them only for red-line (players go absolutely crazy over something) sustainability (have to keep a healthy player base and keep revenues manageable).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.